British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Slumdogs and Millionaires (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/slumdogs-millionaires-628534/)

Emerald_Eyes Sep 1st 2009 5:36 am

Slumdogs and Millionaires

A friend in the UK told me about this Panorama programme, Slumdogs and Millionaires. It highlights the shocking conditions the construction workers in Dubai are forced to live in - apparently the footage of the labour camps is particularly disgusting with raw sewage flowing everywhere. You can't view the programme on BBC's iplayer but you can read the corresponding article here. It just shows how important charities like Helping Hands really are...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/fr...00/7986756.stm

Blue Cat Sep 1st 2009 5:41 am

Re: Slumdogs and Millionaires

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7893109)
A friend in the UK told me about this Panorama programme, Slumdogs and Millionaires. It highlights the shocking conditions the construction workers in Dubai are forced to live in - apparently the footage of the labour camps is particularly disgusting with raw sewage flowing everywhere. You can't view the programme on BBC's iplayer but you can read the corresponding article here. It just shows how important charities like Helping Hands really are...

is this the one that was on a few months back or a new one?

Emerald_Eyes Sep 1st 2009 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7893119)
is this the one that was on a few months back or a new one?

It was shown in April and again a couple of weeks ago.

Norm_uk Sep 1st 2009 7:51 am

Isn't it amazing that there are charities to help people who are legally and gainfully employed?

Just goes to show how far behind they really are here.

N.

co durham boy Sep 1st 2009 10:15 am

well thats the truth and it is shocking,it shocks me everyday to see it and iv worked in the construction industry for 24yrs and 10 of that in the middle east.
some companies have come on leaps and bounds over the past 10yrs but im afraid the majority treat their people badly.they are not 20 but 40 yrs behind.
it actually shouldnt need a charity thats the shocking thing

Inselaffen Sep 1st 2009 12:59 pm

I dont think its that much better over here

Kooky. Sep 1st 2009 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7894009)
I dont think its that much better over here

You mean those Bangladeshi and Nepalese labourers don't really want to live on building sites, in shipping containers, with no sanitation, Inselaffen? :confused:

954RR Sep 3rd 2009 8:45 am

I downloaded and watched this last night and the conditions these guys are living in are disgusting.
It is one thing to see this sort of thing on the TV when your back home in blighty but when you can look out of your window and see these guys grafting away each day it tends to bring things into focus a bit more.
A lot of the labourers seemed to have been conned into coming here by agencies back in their home countries that charge them a fortune and thus saddle themselves with debts that will take years to pay off.
What anoyed me the most was all the sports stars who are getting handouts to promote these constructions who did not wish to comment !:thumbdown:

co durham boy Sep 3rd 2009 9:27 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7899686)
I downloaded and watched this last night and the conditions these guys are living in are disgusting.
It is one thing to see this sort of thing on the TV when your back home in blighty but when you can look out of your window and see these guys grafting away each day it tends to bring things into focus a bit more.
A lot of the labourers seemed to have been conned into coming here by agencies back in their home countries that charge them a fortune and thus saddle themselves with debts that will take years to pay off.
What anoyed me the most was all the sports stars who are getting handouts to promote these constructions who did not wish to comment !:thumbdown:

what does michael owen and the rest know about these conditions? your own next door neighbor doesnt know or doesnt want to know about these conditions.
its illegal to house workers on a construction site and its the firms and the sponsor that are responsible for these workers.
remember this was happening in the boom construction years,what about these guys now?
you have to remember that they've been working this way for 40 years so they cant see the problem !

954RR Sep 3rd 2009 9:32 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 7899793)
what does michael owen and the rest know about these conditions? your own next door neighbor doesnt know or doesnt want to know about these conditions.

But when the producers tell Michael Owen and the rest about the conditions and show them the evidence they still have nothing to say and continue their support.

Blue Cat Sep 3rd 2009 9:44 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7899798)
But when the producers tell Michael Owen and the rest about the conditions and show them the evidence they still have nothing to say and continue their support.

Jamie Oliver pulled out though :)

co durham boy Sep 3rd 2009 10:03 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7899798)

yeah your right,its unethical and wrong but would you rather have an apology from mr owen or better conditions for the workers?
the construction industry in this country is archaic, bad practice,bad standards,bad safety and the list goes on, i know i work in it.i have seen standards drop in some instances over the past 12 years here,this place is being built on an ideal that is outdated and unethical but thats the middle east and you aint gonna change it.
think of this place as 2 buckets, one with money and one with sh*t, when either ones full go home!

954RR Sep 3rd 2009 11:33 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 7899854)
yeah your right,its unethical and wrong but would you rather have an apology from mr owen or better conditions for the workers?

We all want better conditions for the workers but if other people pulled out like Jamie Oliver did then these people would not get their celeb endorsments and it might make them sort things out.
Just a pipe dream I know but every bit could help.

co durham boy Sep 6th 2009 4:13 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7900104)
We all want better conditions for the workers but if other people pulled out like Jamie Oliver did then these people would not get their celeb endorsments and it might make them sort things out.
Just a pipe dream I know but every bit could help.

every bit does help, these guys have built this place sometimes with their own lives being lost as a result of bad practice and they're treated no better than a pikey's dog !

Emerald_Eyes Sep 6th 2009 6:52 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 7908164)
every bit does help, these guys have built this place sometimes with their own lives being lost as a result of bad practice and they're treated no better than a pikey's dog !

Absolutely. Remember when that building in Deira collapsed? There were 23 labourers and a site engineer in the building and apparently there were no fatalities or serious injuries...even though they brought in the cadaver dogs...! Pictures of what was left of the building:
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10340944.html

Apparently the government is looking at ways to enforce and monitor housing conditions for labourers...hmm.
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Employment/10346598.html

Sandboy Sep 6th 2009 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7899816)
Jamie Oliver pulled out though :)

if only his dad had

co durham boy Sep 6th 2009 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7908267)
Absolutely. Remember when that building in Deira collapsed? There were 23 labourers and a site engineer in the building and apparently there were no fatalities or serious injuries...even though they brought in the cadaver dogs...! Pictures of what was left of the building:
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10340944.html

Apparently the government is looking at ways to enforce and monitor housing conditions for labourers...hmm.
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Employment/10346598.html

the whole engineering of that building is called into question as the consulting engineer who works on behalf of the client has a duty that the structure is built to specification and will make sure the contractor follows that specification,allegedly.
if that doesnt happen what chance have the guys got ?

Sandboy Sep 6th 2009 9:04 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 7908318)
the whole engineering of that building is called into question as the consulting engineer who works on behalf of the client has a duty that the structure is built to specification and will make sure the contractor follows that specification,allegedly.
if that doesnt happen what chance have the guys got ?

the fault could lie anywhere here though, you've got no chance. Steel framed building, what odds the bolts used were inferior or the correct number were used ? Any test result you want can be bought.

I had a wheel come off a truck and sent a sample of the wheel nuts for testing, they were nothing like the quality claimed

don't trust anyone and you'll not go far wrong

co durham boy Sep 6th 2009 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7908400)
the fault could lie anywhere here though, you've got no chance. Steel framed building, what odds the bolts used were inferior or the correct number were used ? Any test result you want can be bought.

I had a wheel come off a truck and sent a sample of the wheel nuts for testing, they were nothing like the quality claimed

don't trust anyone and you'll not go far wrong

yeah your right it could be anything, especially as it was a steel structure, the whole thing had twisted and therefore collapsed which could lead to a point of being a sub-structure problem i.e piling foundations and soil stabilization, whatever the problem, its the consulting engineers that have the responsibility end of.thats why they are employed,a contractor will always cut corners,its in his interests i.e financial and programme constraints to name but two.
that job had two things, 1. someone made a massive engineering error and 2. someone never checked applicable works to spec.