British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Slope (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/slope-829852/)

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2014 1:11 pm

Slope

Who knew before this that "slope" has racially-derogatory undertones?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...a-special.html

Meow Mar 28th 2014 1:12 pm

Re: Slope

Can you explain please? I refuse to click on a DM link and increase their traffic and click-throughs.

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2014 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11194561)
Can you explain please? I refuse to click on a DM link and increase their traffic and click-throughs.

Oh bleeding 'ell. Top Gear Burma Special. Team build a bridge over the River Kwai (sort of). It was not entirely level. Clarkson said to Hamster, while looking along the bridge as a solitary man walked along it (in the distance--I thought it was May): "But there's a slope on it." People outraged (so says the Daily Mail). English actress of Indian descent suing BBC for "racism" and "discrimination", hoping that at least it will cost them 1m quid to defend it. Wants the show taking off the air. I want to slap her.

I'd never heard of "slope" used in that context, just wondered who else had.

Meow Mar 28th 2014 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11194572)
Oh bleeding 'ell. Top Gear Burma Special. Team build a bridge over the River Kwai (sort of). It was not entirely level. Clarkson said to Hamster, while looking along the bridge as a solitary man walked along it (in the distance--I thought it was May): "But there's a slope on it." People outraged (so says the Daily Mail). English actress of Indian descent suing BBC for "racism" and "discrimination", hoping that at least it will cost them 1m quid to defend it. Wants the show taking off the air. I want to slap her.

I'd never heard of "slope" used in that context, just wondered who else had.

I see, thanks.

I have never heard the word used to mean that either. It's on urban dictionary, but seems very obscure and the usual DM 'story out of nothing'.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slope

norsk Mar 28th 2014 2:05 pm

It seems pretty obscure to be honest (and BBC could even just argue that she is interpreting what Clarkson said incorrectly) and that woman clearly has very little else going on in her life if she is suing the BBC. It's a shame that some of the PC brigade in the form of lawyers (Equal Justice) are supporting her...

Boomhauer Mar 28th 2014 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11194593)
I see, thanks.

I have never heard the word used to mean that either. It's on urban dictionary, but seems very obscure and the usual DM 'story out of nothing'.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slope

It is a derogatory term here in the US , for East Asians, but it's an older term . Can't recal ever hearing it in the media.

I suppose it is the way he phrased it ; so if he had said " but it slopes there" instead of " but there is a slope on it " it wouldn't become a mini brouhaha. Still, it is faaar from clear Clarkson meant anything racial so I believe he meant the slope on the bridge.

I didn't vote cause, while I knew it was a derogatory term, it is not clear it was meant to refer to the East Asian guy.

OriginalSunshine Mar 28th 2014 2:15 pm

never heard of it

OleJanx Mar 28th 2014 2:21 pm

As Boomhauer points old it's a pretty old term, going back to the Vietnam war era.

Dubaiexile Mar 28th 2014 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11194630)
It seems pretty obscure to be honest (and BBC could even just argue that she is interpreting what Clarkson said incorrectly) and that woman clearly has very little else going on in her life if she is suing the BBC. It's a shame that some of the PC brigade in the form of lawyers (Equal Justice) are supporting her...

Yes quite right, she has interpreted it to her own use, whether for publicity or just to be a PC nuisance, always makes me wonder my someone can call me a brit and I take no offence but to abbreviate in the same way a person from Pakistan.........just saying.

Slope was a word used to refer to the North Vietnamese during the Vietnam war.

flares Mar 28th 2014 4:08 pm

No but my current fave is 'melt' as in 'you f***ing melt'

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2014 4:56 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by flares (Post 11194798)
No but my current fave is 'melt' as in 'you f***ing melt'

meaning...?

All it conjours up to me is this:

Attachment 116850

Dubaiexile Mar 28th 2014 6:26 pm

Surely the questions should be as follows as regards to the Poll;

1. Do we think Clarkson said this in all innocence.
2. Do we think he did make the remark with racist overtones.
3. Do we think that this warrants a witch hunt by a bunch of over zealous numpties hell bent on enforcing their version of a PC world (not the computer shop).
4. Do we think it is a farce to be ignored?

Millhouse Mar 28th 2014 6:39 pm

Never heard of it - will be using it

OriginalSunshine Mar 29th 2014 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 11194676)
Yes quite right, she has interpreted it to her own use, whether for publicity or just to be a PC nuisance, always makes me wonder my someone can call me a brit and I take no offence but to abbreviate in the same way a person from Pakistan.........just saying.

I've wondered that myself as well, and I think it's because the word "Paki" was always used in a negative way that "Brit" has never been used - e.g. "Paki-bashing" in the 70s onwards.

With Clarkson you never know if he was being faux-ignorant or genuinely ignorant.

mikewot Mar 29th 2014 6:10 am

Americans used to refer to Vietnamese during that war as Slopes or Gooks. That was the first time I heard this used. Seems to me just more oxygen for the publicity seekers.