Slingcatcher in Dubai

Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:31 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slingcatcher in Dubai

Greetings from damp Mumbai.....

I have finally got my old man to get Sky in and set up a SkyHD box specially for me. The Slingbox Solo is correctly connected and we are using SlingLink to send the signal to the router. He has checked and he can pick up the signal on his laptop wirelessly thru the router in his house in Scotland, but I set up the Catcher and SlingLink at my house before I left Dubai and couldn't get the damn thing to pick up the registered SlingBox back home.

The account shows it knows of the existence of the box (has its serial no. etc) but I have been unable to get my stuff in Dubai to actually hook up to the box in Scotland.

Any technofreaks using this system that could tell me what else I could check either in Dubai or in Scotland, to see what is causing the network error???
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slingcatcher in Dubai

Can you access the Slingbox remotely (not certain from where you are trying to access it) using your laptop or PC?
I have a SlingCatcher in Dubai which was working fine connected to Slingbox/PVR in UK but wife had a 'tech discussion' with BT Support in India and since then it hasn't been able to connect - it times out. I can still access OK on computer here.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:11 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sessou
Can you access the Slingbox remotely (not certain from where you are trying to access it) using your laptop or PC?
I have a SlingCatcher in Dubai which was working fine connected to Slingbox/PVR in UK but wife had a 'tech discussion' with BT Support in India and since then it hasn't been able to connect - it times out. I can still access OK on computer here.
They are able to access it wirelessly throughout the house where it is based, but I have been unable to connect to it from either PC/laptop or thru Slingcatcher box in Dubai....
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:27 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Just read somewhere today that you can pay to access skytv online costs about the same as normal monthly subscription - obviously you need a vpn and a decent bandwidth speed.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

You have to set the slingbox (at home) up for remote viewing ie off the home network. I'm sure you have to do that at the Slingbox location with a computer on the home network. It should be fairly straightforward...unless you are using BT as your ISP (at least the original HomeHub) in which case you may need to call Slingbox support to assist.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:21 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Sessou
You have to set the slingbox (at home) up for remote viewing ie off the home network. I'm sure you have to do that at the Slingbox location with a computer on the home network. It should be fairly straightforward...unless you are using BT as your ISP (at least the original HomeHub) in which case you may need to call Slingbox support to assist.
Thanks Sessou.. Just realised after searching the net for a few hours last night that that is probably the reason!! Now I have to talk a barely-PC literate person thru the remote viewing setup... Wish me luck....
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Just read somewhere today that you can pay to access skytv online costs about the same as normal monthly subscription - obviously you need a vpn and a decent bandwidth speed.
Here, as long as you have good connection - but as this is Dubai, probablya non-starter!

http://skyplayer.sky.com/aboutskyplayer/
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:19 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

I just found out about monthly sub for sky, quality, as the TV in Dubai is rubbish, i use www.***************** to connect though.