Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Jochram is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skype

Soon I will be a brand new Ex-pat arriving in the UAE in January. As I will be leaving family and friends at home I will need a good means of communication with the folks back home, Skype being the obvious choice. Before I get shot down in flames (I have read through previous threads on this topic) I would really appreciate some direct advice on the subject. Please could someone who is currently successfully using Skype in the UAE, PM me so that I can ask some direct questions? As I am still a newbie on here, I have a few more posts to send before I am permitted to PM myself.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all
Default Re: Skype

Originally Posted by Jochram
Soon I will be a brand new Ex-pat arriving in the UAE in January. As I will be leaving family and friends at home I will need a good means of communication with the folks back home, Skype being the obvious choice. Before I get shot down in flames (I have read through previous threads on this topic) I would really appreciate some direct advice on the subject. Please could someone who is currently successfully using Skype in the UAE, PM me so that I can ask some direct questions? As I am still a newbie on here, I have a few more posts to send before I am permitted to PM myself.
Download it to your phone/computer from the UK before you leave. It works fine if already installed.

You just can't download it once you're here.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

What do you need to know apart from that it works, but you need to have downloaded it before you get here?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:28 am
Just Joined

I was under the impression that I needed VPN?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

I was under the impression that I needed VPN?
not for skype
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:30 am
Just Joined

That is good news, but I would need it for Brit tv etc.?
BE Enthusiast

yes
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Usually, so you'd be wise to set that up to. Not complicated and can be done from here anyway,
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys, you have been a great help
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:40 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Jochram,

Were one to consider using Skype for any of the sevices that cost (ie calls to landline or mobiles) ensuring auto payment / auto top up is configured prior to departure would be a wise idea....
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Good advice Welivehere, thank you!
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:33 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

all above advice reiterated, just one more addition from me
I have a Du USB dongle for my office use which is pretty fast (8mbps with a 10GB limit) and i can have multiple calls on google talk on it but for some reason skype chat only works on it, skype voice does not. have tried everything down to changing computers as well
same laptop when goes home to Etisalat, works great on skype
so just telling you what I learned in the past few months here
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs
not for skype
not quite true, well in my experience anyway. On both Du and Etisalat, I have experienced:

Skypeout/ Skypein - you need a VPN
Skype PC-PC - you don't need it.

Personally, I find facetime more effective.

Set up skype and the VPN in the UK first.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, thanks again for your advice, much appreciated. If anyone has a recommended VPN please can you let me know via private message.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 8:46 pm
Banned

bahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nice

You cant use skype in Dubai.

Need a VPN / Proxy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.