British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sky News - package changed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sky-news-package-changed-891940/)

clergy Feb 21st 2017 12:07 pm

Sky News - package changed

Looking for help!
Etisalat Elife package (Abu Dhabi Sports) included Sky News but it has now disappeared. Called Etisalat and they say the channel is now part of the Pehla Lite package. Anyone experienced the same? Bloody nuisance, really, as that's my favourite channel.

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 21st 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Sky News - package changed

Originally Posted by clergy (Post 12185625)
Looking for help!
Etisalat Elife package (Abu Dhabi Sports) included Sky News but it has now disappeared. Called Etisalat and they say the channel is now part of the Pehla Lite package. Anyone experienced the same? Bloody nuisance, really, as that's my favourite channel.

Oh that's awful! Sky News is your favourite channel???

clergy Feb 21st 2017 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12185643)
Oh that's awful! Sky News is your favourite channel???

Well, after BBC2 and Channel 4, maybe. Can't get those here, tho :(

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 21st 2017 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by clergy (Post 12185651)
Well, after BBC2 and Channel 4, maybe. Can't get those here, tho :(

Hmmm, I'll have to check when I get home if it's still on the du TV package. They also, very annoyingly, arbitrarily add and drop channels.

nottmbantam Feb 21st 2017 1:11 pm

OSN here in KSA, but although I like Sky News, I can only bear it for about half an hour. Then all the news starts to repeat itself. Almost akin to watching E! - endless repeats....

clergy Feb 21st 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12185659)
OSN here in KSA, but although I like Sky News, I can only bear it for about half an hour. Then all the news starts to repeat itself. Almost akin to watching E! - endless repeats....

You're right, but with Trump's shenanigans, CNN has been bearable.With Brexit ramping up soon, though, I'll be wanting the repetitive stuff on Sky!

mission Feb 22nd 2017 6:19 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12185659)

I hear ya...I like E but the constant repeats are frustrating, especially the number of episodes they repeat of 'keeping up with the kadashians' :thumbdown:

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 22nd 2017 7:33 am

Well this has set me off on a bit of investigation as I can never quite figure out what channels I should have as a du home subscriber.

The structure of the du packages sounds similar even in name - if not identical - to what Etisalat offer. The packages are described here but I find this is often out of date (why should an internet and telecoms provider bother with its own website after all...

Sky News HD (the English language one not the Arabic language Sky News Arabia) only appears in the AD Sports and Pehla packages from what I can see.

According to my du bill I have OSN Premier Plus (though such a package does not appear on the website), AD Sports Extra and BeIn Full package. I can confirm that as of this morning Sky News is still there on my du TV service. They have done some jiggery pokery with other channels before so maybe du will follow Etisalat...

I also would not trust the answer from the Etisalat call centre. Could this be an issue with the fact that it is now only HD (there used to be two identical Sky News channels, one HD and one not)?

nottmbantam Feb 22nd 2017 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12186351)
I hear ya...I like E but the constant repeats are frustrating, especially the number of episodes they repeat of 'keeping up with the kadashians' :thumbdown:

Does my head in watching that, but my wife loves it. Can't imagine why.

clergy Feb 23rd 2017 6:34 am

I've just discovered I can watch Sky news live on my phone/laptop. Etisalat can stick their bloody changes you know where. :)

Johnnyboy11 Feb 23rd 2017 7:12 am

Originally Posted by clergy (Post 12187462)
I've just discovered I can watch Sky news live on my phone/laptop. Etisalat can stick their bloody changes you know where. :)

Better still, shove an Amazon firestick in your TV, sideloaded with KODI and MODBRO and watch whatever you like, when you like, for free. ;)