Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Since religious-themed threads are popular at the moment.....

Since religious-themed threads are popular at the moment.....

Old May 15th 2008, 7:19 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Since religious-themed threads are popular at the moment.....

Originally Posted by W10
Being as Americans in general are far more religious than Europeans, why do you think they are not being genuine.

If they have strong faith then they'll mention it surely? I watched a documentary on the Brazilian team and most of them are religious. They all pray in the dressing room before games.
Its not the individuals faith that I am questioning, it is the preachers/ministers etc. Every other day on the bible channels, there was someone trying to coax money out of some of the 'faithful' in return for their most fervent prayer to be answered..
Old May 15th 2008, 7:19 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Your'e older than Phil Collins, why do you think I would be referring to you ?
At least I still have some dark hair...!!!!
Old May 15th 2008, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I think you will find that Kaka didn't play in the 2002 Final, which is the last time that Brazil won the trophy. He only played for 20 minutes in the first round against Costa Rica if my memory serves me correctly...but I accept your point. Personally I think religion can be a good thing, especially in very poor countries where some distraction is needed away from the pain and suffering of every day life.
Sorry? Are you serious?

"We're starving, we have nowhere to live, disease is rife...... but - hey!! Time for church!! Thank God for that!!!"

In those shoes, I'd be wondering why my prayers had FAILED to bring salvation......
Old May 15th 2008, 8:02 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
Sorry? Are you serious?

"We're starving, we have nowhere to live, disease is rife...... but - hey!! Time for church!! Thank God for that!!!"

In those shoes, I'd be wondering why my prayers had FAILED to bring salvation......
Yes I am serious and know for a fact that, in remote parts of Kenya, where they will never live beyond the bread line, going to church is all they have. Personally I am an aetheist but I don't begrudge others their right to worship.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am serious and know for a fact that, in remote parts of Kenya, where they will never live beyond the bread line, going to church is all they have. Personally I am an aetheist but I don't begrudge others their right to worship.
One day, a curious and inquisitive Kenyan kid will turn to his mum and say:

"Why is it that we pray to God every week, but nothing good ever happens?"

Tough one to answer. There IS no answer.

I'm an atheist too............ thank God.
Old May 15th 2008, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
I lived in what is known as 'The Deep South' for a couple of years and very quickly you get sick of the Bible channels, everyone telling you that 'their prayers were answered' and, while you are at it, come along to the ***** church this Sunday, 6 sermons a day, and, for a small fee, we wil cure your ills.....

Hell, look no further than GW. HE actually said on primetime US news that God told him to invade Iraq.... Took the pressure off for a few weeks...
best example of the Deep South mentality

Old May 15th 2008, 1:02 pm
W10

One day, a curious and inquisitive Kenyan kid will turn to his mum and say:

"Why is it that we pray to God every week, but nothing good ever happens?"

Tough one to answer. There IS no answer.

I'm an atheist too............ thank God.

Ever noticed that lots of atheists are just as forceful in expressing their views as religious extremeists (and as closed minds)?

You're a fundamentalist (non) religious zealot.

Old May 15th 2008, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by W10

Ever noticed that lots of atheists are just as forceful in expressing their views as religious extremeists (and as closed minds)?

You're a fundamentalist (non) religious zealot.
What's the problem? Are you saying you have to be "religious" to have an opinion on religion?

Many millions of people have been slaughtered for centuries because 'your way of praying to God is wrong, but my way of praying to God is right'. Christianity is among the worst offenders.

And all because of something/someone whose existence can never be proven, and who has never been seen or heard by anyone.

No thanks........
Old May 15th 2008, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the problem? Are you saying you have to be "religious" to have an opinion on religion?

Many millions of people have been slaughtered for centuries because 'your way of praying to God is wrong, but my way of praying to God is right'. Christianity is among the worst offenders.

And all because of something/someone whose existence can never be proven, and who has never been seen or heard by anyone.

No thanks........
Out of curiosity, what does it say is your religion in your Iqama?
Old May 15th 2008, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Out of curiosity, what does it say is your religion in your Iqama?
Christian of course....... why? What are you trying to say??

In this part of the world, you are defined by that, and little else. Sort of proves my point........