Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Since religious-themed threads are popular at the moment.....

Since religious-themed threads are popular at the moment.....

Old May 14th 2008, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Since religious-themed threads are popular at the moment.....

....could I please get one of my major hates off my chest?? Thank you.

Am I the only one that gets really irritated by sportsmen (mainly from golf and tennis it seems, and for some reason it's never sportsWOMEN) who, when being interviewed after winning a tournament, tell the reporter that they owe their victory "to God" or "to Jesus Christ" or whatever?

That Zach Johnson who made that grotesque speech after he won one of the major US golf tournaments last year was an embarrassment - and an insult to genuine Christians.

I can just imagine the prayer:

"Please God - help me win this game of golf...."

"Certainly - but could you just hang on a moment while I tell all the starving kids in Africa that I'm going to be busy for a while.........???"

Old May 14th 2008, 4:08 pm

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Since religious-themed threads are popular at the moment.....

Originally Posted by The Dean

Am I the only one that gets really irritated by sportsmen (mainly from golf and tennis it seems, and for some reason it's never sportsWOMEN) who, when being interviewed after winning a tournament, tell the reporter that they owe their victory "to God" or "to Jesus Christ" or whatever?

That Zach Johnson who made that grotesque speech after he won one of the major US golf tournaments last year was an embarrassment - and an insult to genuine Christians.

"Certainly - but could you just hang on a moment while I tell all the starving kids in Africa that I'm going to be busy for a while.........???"

Trying living amongst Yanks for a while... Every news program has footage of someone rescued by firefighters, police etc and their first words is 'Thank God'...

If there is one thing to put you off any kind of organised religion, it is the blind devotion of its following...
Old May 14th 2008, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
Trying living amongst Yanks for a while... Every news program has footage of someone rescued by firefighters, police etc and their first words is 'Thank God'...

If there is one thing to put you off any kind of organised religion, it is the blind devotion of its following...
Point taken - but firefighters pulling a trapped child from a burning building (for example) surely DO have a reasonable excuse .... and "Thank God" is simply an everyday figure of speech anyway.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:25 pm

Point taken - but firefighters pulling a trapped child from a burning building (for example) surely DO have a reasonable excuse .... and "Thank God" is simply an everyday figure of speech anyway.
I lived in what is known as 'The Deep South' for a couple of years and very quickly you get sick of the Bible channels, everyone telling you that 'their prayers were answered' and, while you are at it, come along to the ***** church this Sunday, 6 sermons a day, and, for a small fee, we wil cure your ills.....

Hell, look no further than GW. HE actually said on primetime US news that God told him to invade Iraq.... Took the pressure off for a few weeks...
Old May 14th 2008, 8:31 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

when brazil won the world cup they all did it, kaka, cafu and the others, under theit shirts had t-shirts that read 'I belong to jesus'.

It soured the whole world cup for me.
Old May 14th 2008, 8:33 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in what is known as 'The Deep South' for a couple of years and very quickly you get sick of the Bible channels, everyone telling you that 'their prayers were answered' and, while you are at it, come along to the ***** church this Sunday, 6 sermons a day, and, for a small fee, we wil cure your ills.....

Hell, look no further than GW. HE actually said on primetime US news that God told him to invade Iraq.... Took the pressure off for a few weeks...
he's one of the worst of all, he invented a program in the jails in america where if you convert to christianity, know the bible loads and go to church all the time you get released early - that seems fair eh?
Old May 14th 2008, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Spugsy
he's one of the worst of all, he invented a program in the jails in america where if you convert to christianity, know the bible loads and go to church all the time you get released early - that seems fair eh?
Myra Hindley tried something similar........
Old May 15th 2008, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ever listen to AM radio while you were out there? On one road trip through the west (not even the deep south!) the ultra conservative funda extremist DJs were quite entertaining for a while, until you realised that they took themselves seriously
Old May 15th 2008, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by jvr20
Did you ever listen to AM radio while you were out there? On one road trip through the west (not even the deep south!) the ultra conservative funda extremist DJs were quite entertaining for a while, until you realised that they took themselves seriously
Oh, yeah. Nothing better than sitting in Houston traffic listening to those sanctimonious sunsabitches spouting off... There were one or two occasions I came very close to calling in myself, but decided it wasnt worth the cost of the call....!!!
Old May 15th 2008, 4:37 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
when brazil won the world cup they all did it, kaka, cafu and the others, under theit shirts had t-shirts that read 'I belong to jesus'.
It soured the whole world cup for me.
I think you will find that Kaka didn't play in the 2002 Final, which is the last time that Brazil won the trophy. He only played for 20 minutes in the first round against Costa Rica if my memory serves me correctly...but I accept your point. Personally I think religion can be a good thing, especially in very poor countries where some distraction is needed away from the pain and suffering of every day life.
Old May 15th 2008, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Its the ones that jump up and down and run around speaking in tongues that crack me up!!Is it the evangelists?!Ridding the souls of demons and bringing Christ into your life!They are so funny!

My Mum decided I needed to discover God by putting me in Sunday school.She actually just wanted a free babysitter so she could go down the pub for a couple of hours!I didnt discover God,but I did discover boys so it wasnt a complete waste!

Last edited by MissDemeanor; May 15th 2008 at 5:52 am.
Old May 15th 2008, 6:52 am
W10

Being as Americans in general are far more religious than Europeans, why do you think they are not being genuine.

If they have strong faith then they'll mention it surely? I watched a documentary on the Brazilian team and most of them are religious. They all pray in the dressing room before games.

Old May 15th 2008, 7:09 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of the video for Genesis' song "Jesus he loves me" , when Phil Collins plays the creepy religious guy on tv with the big smile, promising the listeners will go to heaven, while he clocks up the money being donated, and in the meantime is living a seedy life off the donations ...lol
Old May 15th 2008, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Reminds me of the video for Genesis' song "Jesus he loves me" , when Phil Collins plays the creepy religious guy on tv with the big smile, promising the listeners will go to heaven, while he clocks up the money being donated, and in the meantime is living a seedy life off the donations ...lol
OI!!! Who you calling seedy!!!!!
Old May 15th 2008, 7:15 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

OI!!! Who you calling seedy!!!!!
Your'e older than Phil Collins, why do you think I would be referring to you ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.