Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Since The Dean and The Commander are AWOL

Since The Dean and The Commander are AWOL

Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:16 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Since The Dean and The Commander are AWOL

And Bangleman & CTFC'S threads have been closed-for 2011,let me begin with this:

I do not know your name

I do not know your name, but I know you died
I do not know from where you came, but I know you died

Your uniform, branch of service, it matters not to me
Whether Volunteer or Conscript, or how it came to be
That politicians' failures, or some power-mad ambition
Brought you too soon to your death, in the name of any nation

You saw, you felt, you knew full well, as friend and foe were taken
By bloody death, that your life too, was forfeit and forsaken
Yet on you went and fought and died, in your close and private hell
For Mate or Pal or Regiment and memories never to tell

It was for each other, through shot and shell, the madness you endured
Side by side, through wound and pain, and comradeship assured
No family ties, or bloodline link, could match that bond of friend
Who shared the horror and kept on going, at last until the end

We cannot know, we were not there, it's beyond our comprehension
To know the toll that battle brings, of resolute intention
To carry on, day by day, for all you loved and hoped for
To live in peace a happy life, away from bloody war

For far too many, no long life ahead, free of struggle and pain and the gun
And we must remember the price that was paid, by each and every one
Regardless of views, opinions aside, no matter how each of us sees it
They were there and I cannot forget, even though I did not live it

I do not know your name, but I know you died
I do not know from where you came, but I know you died.

Kenny Martin
© 2003

(A poem by Kenny Martin written in 2003 following a visit he made in 2002 with his son to Commonwealth War Graves in the Arnhem/Oosterbeek/Nijmegen area of Holland)

Last edited by Eva; Nov 4th 2011 at 11:23 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:51 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Since The Dean and The Commander are AWOL

137 views to this most likely explains why i don’t post on here anymore. There are brilliant posters on here and they are on my FB.(apart from Eva who is a mystery. Spugsy and Cat...love ya's.)

This time of year i always think of those families who will be feeling empty, lost and i'd wager feeling a little let down by the government and its policies.

Last month marked the occasion when every ship i have ever served on bar one has been decommissioned and now sits at FLJ in Pompey. dis ****ing gusting.

Yes, the poppy appeal is primarily about the 2 world wars, but this year, more than any year marks so much more to me.

My home town has had, and still do have the absolute privilege and honour to house one of the finest fighting forces in the world. This month i think of these men..the survivors who have lost their mates, who live with their mates who now are maimed. The wife's...the children who show more courage than any of us posting on this spoilt brat's website would ever care to imagine. People, Sky news only now report deaths in Afghan...the odd leg or arm or bawsack going awol is not newsworthy anymore...

Afghanistan......why oh why...

My birthday is the 11th and whilst i celebrate it, i always, always remember...

Lieutenant Philip Green, 30, 849 Sqn Fleet Air Arm
Lieutenant Antony King, 35, 849 Sqn Fleet Air Arm
Lieutenant Marc Lawrence, 26, 849 Sqn Fleet Air Arm
Lieutenant Philip West, 32, 849 Sqn Fleet Air Arm
Lieutenant James Williams, 28, 849 Sqn Fleet Air Arm
Lieutenant Andrew Wilson, 36, 849 Sqn Fleet Air Arm

RIP guys...we could only watch and try to afford you some dignity..
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Poignant, moving and lest we forget their sacrifice.

Thanks for posting Eva.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:58 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Poignant, moving and lest we forget their sacrifice.

Thanks for posting Eva.
yea agreed and i should have mentioned it in my post. Thanks Eva x
Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Remembrance, remembrance the 11th of November,
The day of peacefulness also filled with sorrow,
Scarlet red poppies show in respect.
As the young mighty soldiers are remembered.

There is silence while the poppies hear the cries of ghosts,
The chuffed bold soldiers enter the field of silence,
As they remember their fellow friends.

As red as blood, poppies are placed in the wreath and silence appears,
Blissful cries are heard in Flanders field
As the brave march on.

Crimson poppies represent their life,
Their confidence to risk their lives,
Remembrance, remembrance the 11th of November.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:18 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Lest we forget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4NtSqZcT_4
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Commander, just because a person doesn't post on a thread doesn't mean they don't care. Sometimes, there just isn't much to be added.

Good people will never forget.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:25 am
banned

Originally Posted by Meow
Commander, just because a person doesn't post on a thread doesn't mean they don't care. Sometimes, there just isn't much to be added.

Good people will never forget.
Yea, your right. Sorry. Was in a shit mood when I noticed the thread...
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:28 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Great poem.

Poppies seem to be rarer than ever this year. For me it's always been about rememberance. I tend to ignore people who try and use poppies or lack of them to make any cheap political points.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:45 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Quae caret ora cruore nostro? - Horace
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Quae caret ora cruore nostro? - Horace
Indeed...
Old Nov 7th 2011, 11:06 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Nah, I don't put curried carrots up my nostrils.
Thanks for the valid input into a serious thread...

N.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 12:02 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Thanks for the valid input into a serious thread...

N.
You're right. Deleted.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Yea, your right. Sorry. Was in a shit mood when I noticed the thread...
how old are you this year? 40?

lovely poem Eva
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Testing my memory here, spelling will be off too but one of the best poems I read finishes with;

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.