A simple solution

Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A simple solution

From a purely academic perspective I can appreciate why a professor and an assistant professor (?) might want to take 1.5 years to understand that driving here is appalling and that, apart from middle-lane-hugging sub-continentals, the worst offenders are young, male and of a certain ethnic group, but that information was freely available to everyone. The solution:

Dr Amir recommended that social organisations explain to youth that attitudes behind reckless driving were both foolish and dangerous.

Ok, he also said:

that unsafe driving was prevalent in many other parts of the world, and perhaps a zero-tolerance policy to reckless driving was the key to safer UAE roads.

There is STILL no seat-belt law, and although the police are certainly getting tougher on speeding (and there are more and more cameras coming in, including the average speed ones popping up all over AD), speed alone isn't the issue. Just punish unsafe driving, irrespective of whether each individual act is codified. And for really serious stuff (the mile-or-so-stretch approaching AUH from AD, before the right fork off to Dubai, always has a couple of Nissan Patrols doing 200kph+, usually bang up the bumper of the car in front), a real deterrent appropriate to the offender is the only answer.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/tr...iving-1.752128
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:07 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A simple solution

its an attitude born in arrogance, intolerance and indifference to outcome and or penalty and related to the nationalization attitude and increasing racisim against non nationals.

worth copying a few of the stats i feel

Results of the study

• 576 Emirati and Arab drivers surveyed of which

• 60% drove below legal age of 18 (including 7.3% between 8-12 years)

• 66% were involved in at least one road accident

• 25% sustained injuries from road accidents

Among the 466 Emirati males surveyed in the study

• 25% regularly exceed speed limits, overtake using wrong lanes, tailgate

• 2.6% almost always jump the red traffic light

• 50% do not regularly use seatbelts and talk on the phone while driving

• 50% stop on inner lanes to chat to other drivers, and drive in the wrong direction on one-way streets

• Most said non-binding safety measures, like using indicators while driving, were considered unpopular
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:07 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure about the seat belt thing? thought it was the back seat belts that wasn't law It will only change here when the people of a certain ethnicity you mention leave ...
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I shouldn't be surprised, but it's quite shocking to read.

I'd be even more shocked if the police started doing anythig about it though.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Meow
I shouldn't be surprised, but it's quite shocking to read.

I'd be even more shocked if the police started doing anythig about it though.
Can the Police give themselves a ticket for talking on a mobile whilst driving in a near horizontal position?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

stuart6078 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's also a hell of a lot of expats who think it's ok not to wear a seatbelt out here and who also let their children roam around on the backseat. Plus they drink and drive. Shocking.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:52 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuart6078
There's also a hell of a lot of expats who think it's ok not to wear a seatbelt out here and who also let their children roam around on the backseat. Plus they drink and drive. Shocking.
I know loads of people who drink and drive, I think it's utter madness to do it ful stop but out here even worse.

Idiots.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I know loads of people who drink and drive, I think it's utter madness to do it ful stop but out here even worse.

Idiots.
they really do deserve to get the book thrown at them
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:40 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

i'd love to say i'm shocked by this attitude but i'm really not

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emira...s--376434.html

"A minority admitted they are strongly tempted to overtake if their car is fancier than the vehicle in front, while 16 percent said they will overtake if the driver in front is an expatriate or from another emirate"

"“[This] is a behaviour scientists call ‘territoriality’,” the report said.

Partly to blame is the culture of praise among Emirati males for risk-taking behaviour – and for not being punished for it, the university team said.

“Tailgating – approaching cars at high speed, flashing lights to budge cars out the way – is seen as respected behaviour among many Emirati young males, as is obtaining reductions in traffic fines,” the report said.

By contrast, abiding by traffic laws is seen as “unmanly or cowardly” and a characteristic of an unskilled driver, the poll showed."

what a bunch of ****tards
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:53 am
Concierge

Just put that up on Twitter, awaits the onslaught ....
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:54 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
"A minority admitted they are strongly tempted to overtake if their car is fancier than the vehicle in front, while 16 percent said they will overtake if the driver in front is an expatriate or from another emirate"
Partly to blame is the culture of praise among Emirati males for risk-taking behaviour – and for not being punished for it, the university team said.

“Tailgating – approaching cars at high speed, flashing lights to budge cars out the way – is seen as respected behaviour among many Emirati young males, as is obtaining reductions in traffic fines,” the report said.

By contrast, abiding by traffic laws is seen as “unmanly or cowardly” and a characteristic of an unskilled driver, the poll showed."
How the muck do you know if the driver in front is an expat or from a different emirate (number plates excepted)?

Anyway, all this isn't unique to here: most of it is testosterone-fuelled, and evident in virtually all societies. The real problem here is the failure of the authorities to do anything about it.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:55 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
How the muck do you know if the driver in front is an expat or from a different emirate (number plates excepted)?

Anyway, all this isn't unique to here: most of it is testosterone-fuelled, and evident in virtually all societies. The real problem here is the failure of the authorities to do anything about it.
I guess they just mean a car that isn't blacked out? the new tint on my car is quite dark though and I have been cut up three times just this afternoon
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:56 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I guess they just mean a car that isn't blacked out? the new tint on my car is quite dark though and I have been cut up three times just this afternoon
If you hog the middle lane doing 80, that was probably me.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:59 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
If you hog the middle lane doing 80, that was probably me.
are you an Emirati?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:07 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Indian, you mean?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
are you an Emirati?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.