British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sick in the sooq (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sick-sooq-614335/)

ArranLass Jun 11th 2009 7:29 pm

Sick in the sooq

Why do I get car sick in taxis here? I was fine in the suicidal Egyptiam taxis but every time I'm in a cab here for more than a few minutes I feel awful. I had a meeting near the sooq today and almost threw up when I got out of the cab. Is it just me?:(

commander Jun 12th 2009 7:21 am

Re: Sick in the sooq

Yes its just you...

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 7:58 am

Yep - just you :blink:

zamboooka Jun 13th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7656985)
Why do I get car sick in taxis here? I was fine in the suicidal Egyptiam taxis but every time I'm in a cab here for more than a few minutes I feel awful. I had a meeting near the sooq today and almost threw up when I got out of the cab. Is it just me?:(

you're pregger...!:thumbup:

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 10:21 am

Souq.

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661068)
Souq.

hmmm - I thought it was Souk ;)

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7661098)
hmmm - I thought it was Souk ;)

I think it's actually 'Suq'

Anyway - it def ain't sooq

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661115)

Golly that's a new one .... I was just thinking of the ARTE SOUK :)

edinburger Jun 13th 2009 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661115)

The arabic word is spelled with a "q" not a "k" سوق so it should end in a q the but I think the correct transliteration is Souq....

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7661127)
Golly that's a new one .... I was just thinking of the ARTE SOUK :)

my initial response was from google and souq.com so who knows?!?

Mirriam webster likes the translation from arabic 'suq' to english 'souk' and doesn't list souq.......which doesn't make much sense to me unless translation has become phonetic.

and...yeah - i know the arabic suq is actually not made up of an 's', a 'u' and a 'q'...but really it's a bunch of squiggly lines.

shiva Jun 13th 2009 11:06 am

just to join this geek fest

From Arabic سُوق (sūq), from Aramaic שוקא or ܫܘܩܐ (šūqā’), “‘street, market’”), from Akkadian sūqu (“‘street’”), from sāqu (“‘narrow’

edinburger Jun 13th 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661131)
my initial response was from google and souq.com so who knows?!?

Mirriam webster likes the translation from arabic 'suq' to english 'souk' and doesn't list souq.......which doesn't make much sense to me unless translation has become phonetic.

and...yeah - i know the arabic suq is actually not made up of an 's', a 'u' and a 'q'...but really it's a bunch of squiggly lines.

Yeah, makes absolutely no sense. I done a degree in Arabic but never wrote transliterated Arabic so I could be wrong :confused:

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7661135)

From Arabic سُوق (sūq), from Aramaic שוקא or ܫܘܩܐ (šūqā’), “‘street, market’”), from Akkadian sūqu (“‘street’”), from sāqu (“‘narrow’

I knew you'd be here at some point!

So what's the correct translation to english?

Anyway - i don't get sick in taxi's. Anxious / shocked / terrified, yes often, but sick no.

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by edinburger (Post 7661140)
Yeah, makes absolutely no sense. I done a degree in Arabic but never wrote transliterated Arabic so I could be wrong :confused:

did

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 11:11 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7661135)

Wow - from Maltese ...... SUQ = market and saqu (Narrow) is so close to sqaq which means an alley which is narrow :confused:

Oh well most of us know that maltese is 65% arabic but written in the "english" alphabet!!

There you go - learn something every day:p

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661143)
I knew you'd be here at some point!
Anyway - i don't get sick in taxi's. Anxious / shocked / terrified, yes often, but sick no.

:rofl: I just never catch taxis thank you very much :rofl:

edinburger Jun 13th 2009 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661146)
did

The reason I "did" Arabic is because my English is a bit p1sh :p

ArranLass Jun 13th 2009 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by edinburger (Post 7661152)
The reason I "did" Arabic is because my English is a bit p1sh :p

Ah.. right... it's just me and no I'm defiitely not preggers! At least I hope not... Himself has had the snip so I'd be in serious trouble :eek:

I've been running round Manama in taxis, so I can chill between appointments and not worry about getting lost... And I'm a big girls blouse about driving on the right, yeah, yeah I know you can all do it.

Amazing what a simple typo can throw up! So it's not sook either then, as in sooking soor plooms?

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7661305)
So it's not sook either then, as in sooking soor plooms?

Are you, by any chance, Scottish?? Do you call everyone hen?? Just wondering because I had the feeling my mother-in-law was whispering in my ears then and I always have to ask her to speak English please :sneaky:

ArranLass Jun 13th 2009 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7661361)
Are you, by any chance, Scottish?? Do you call everyone hen?? Just wondering because I had the feeling my mother-in-law was whispering in my ears then and I always have to ask her to speak English please :sneaky:

Obviously I am Scottish and have never called anyone Hen in my life... I've called a few cowards chicken mind you. My Grandfather, who fought in both world wars for his country, did use that rather odd term of endearment, he spoke beautiful english, with perfect pronunciation but prefered his native Gaelic.

I have the good manners to respect different languages and dialects. That's why I'm capable of catching a taxi. :eek:

Smoochy Girl Jun 14th 2009 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7661433)
Obviously I am Scottish and have never called anyone Hen in my life... I've called a few cowards chicken mind you. My Grandfather, who fought in both world wars for his country, did use that rather odd term of endearment, he spoke beautiful english, with perfect pronunciation but prefered his native Gaelic.

I have the good manners to respect different languages and dialects. That's why I'm capable of catching a taxi. :eek:

It was meant as a joke dear heart; my darling dude is Scottish though his accent has now become rather mallow with all the years he's been away. The "hen" thing is a joke between because the first time he took me there, on the plane he warned me that a lot of people will call me hen, including at supermarkets etc and I promptly replied that if anyone called me a hen, I would slap the living daylights out of them.

The funny thing was that everywhere we went people spoke to me and I kept having to turn to my dude to "translate" because I couldn't make out any word they said at all !! The Glaswegian was probably the worse for me to understand and we had some good laughs with the salesgirls etc.

Remember also that English is a foreign language to me :o

commander Jun 14th 2009 7:22 am

Stop saying 'dude' its uncool beyond belief..

Hen is used all the time in Glasgow

edinburger Jun 14th 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7662756)
It was meant as a joke dear heart; my darling dude is Scottish though his accent has now become rather mallow with all the years he's been away. The "hen" thing is a joke between because the first time he took me there, on the plane he warned me that a lot of people will call me hen, including at supermarkets etc and I promptly replied that if anyone called me a hen, I would slap the living daylights out of them.

The funny thing was that everywhere we went people spoke to me and I kept having to turn to my dude to "translate" because I couldn't make out any word they said at all !! The Glaswegian was probably the worse for me to understand and we had some good laughs with the salesgirls etc.

Remember also that English is a foreign language to me :o

Since we are on the subject.....a few quotes from around Gods country, with translation :thumbsup:

Scottish - Come hither tae yer mither cause yer fayther disney want ye.
English - Please child, come to your mother as your father is really not interested at all!
Scottish - Gin awa' doon the toon n git mi a bottle o thon ginger, n dinnae hing aboot neither.
English - Please could you make your way down to the local shop and get me a bottle of pop and don't delay!
Scottish - Whits fur ye'll no gin by ye
English - What's meant for you will not pass you by.
Scottish - It tacks a lang spoon tae sup wi' a Fifer.
English - It takes a long spoon to eat with a person from Fife. i.e. it's difficult to get to know them.
Scottish - Heh neebr, goat a rotry airm fur ma fordie?
English - Excuse me friend (neighbour), have you got a rotor arm for my Ford motor car?
Scottish - Go ben i skullery n git mi thi pepper.
English - Could you go to the kitchen and bring me the paper.
Scottish - hinka cumfae cashore canfeh, Ahl hityi oar hied 'caw taughtie.
English - Do you think just because I come from Carronshore I cannot fight? I shall hit you over the head with a cold potato.

Meow Jun 14th 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by edinburger (Post 7662845)
Since we are on the subject.....a few quotes from around Gods country, with translation :thumbsup:

....snip...

If you all think Scotland is so great, why do so many Scots leave? :confused:

Not trying to be contentious - genuinely interested.

-

edinburger Jun 14th 2009 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7662969)

-

Too make more money..... I make 4 times as much here as I do back home and my type of job isn't very stable back in Edinburgh. I will go back in 3-5 years, don't think I could do much longer in Riyadh :)

shiva Jun 14th 2009 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7662969)

-

same reason we've been leaving for hundreds of years, economic migrancy

Norm_uk Jun 14th 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 7661041)
you're pregger...!:thumbup:

My ex used to feel sick in taxis here when she was pregnant - mostly due to the smell of the drivers and the fact that they can't drive in a smooth and reasonable manner.

N.

Smoochy Girl Jun 14th 2009 9:48 am

Originally Posted by edinburger (Post 7662845)

Scottish - Come hither tae yer mither cause yer fayther disney want ye.
English - Please child, come to your mother as your father is really not interested at all!
Scottish - Gin awa' doon the toon n git mi a bottle o thon ginger, n dinnae hing aboot neither.
English - Please could you make your way down to the local shop and get me a bottle of pop and don't delay!
Scottish - Whits fur ye'll no gin by ye
English - What's meant for you will not pass you by.
Scottish - It tacks a lang spoon tae sup wi' a Fifer.
English - It takes a long spoon to eat with a person from Fife. i.e. it's difficult to get to know them.
Scottish - Heh neebr, goat a rotry airm fur ma fordie?
English - Excuse me friend (neighbour), have you got a rotor arm for my Ford motor car?
Scottish - Go ben i skullery n git mi thi pepper.
English - Could you go to the kitchen and bring me the paper.
Scottish - hinka cumfae cashore canfeh, Ahl hityi oar hied 'caw taughtie.
English - Do you think just because I come from Carronshore I cannot fight? I shall hit you over the head with a cold potato.

See what I mean? It's a totally different language!! Thank God my dude doesn't speak like that.

Sorry Commander - Dude is what I call him to his face - that's his name and has been for 14 years .......... I can't deal with this crap Dh, DD, DS BS etc :rofl:

ArranLass Jun 14th 2009 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7663083)
See what I mean? It's a totally different language!! Thank God my dude doesn't speak like that.

Sorry Commander - Dude is what I call him to his face - that's his name and has been for 14 years .......... I can't deal with this crap Dh, DD, DS BS etc :rofl:

Sorry Smoochy, I mistook you for a Sasenach, my depest apologies for this slur on your character :eek:. I was taking your comments tongue in cheek or I'd have told you to awa an' bile yer heid.

The Scots Dispora are famous for our love of dosh. We built Hong Kong just to look after all the lovely dosh we can make abroad and make even more of it. We've been leaving Scotland to make money since we got there. We're generally made out of a mix of the most adventurous, mercenary, Gaels, Celts, Picts, Vikings and even shipwreaked survivors of the Spanish Armada.

I don't know a fellow Scot who hasn't got a sibling, uncle/aunt or a few cousins living abroad.

The Jocks are so good at leaving Scotland to make a bob or two that many of our folk songs are about how much we miss Scotland. We love to sing these songs with deep melancholy, even while still in Scotland. We also love singing that we belong to Glasgow, even though most of us weren't born there and how much we miss the lights of Old Aberdeen, despite not having been there since the early nineties and having no intention of visiting the granite city ever again.

We are a fiercly patriotic race, right up to the point when you show us the greenbacks... :thumbsup:

I'm fairly sure that every Scot on this site, and you may have noticed, there's rather a few, are in ME purely for the money and have great plans to chuck it all in as soon as they've amassed a nice big pot of lolly to retire on.

Personally, my dream is a wee croft on the Isle of Arran but more likely to be a villa somewhere with direct flights to Scotland as the tax implications of going home are really offputting and maybe a wee But n Ben for when we're in Scotland.

Anyone feel I'm being unfair to my fellow countrymen and women? Are we a bunch of mercenaries, or is it just me :cool:?

Alexa Jun 14th 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7656985)

Smell of the taxis...and, are there a lot of roundabouts? We have them here...and it took me about a year to get used to them...

Smoochy Girl Jun 14th 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7663278)
Sorry Smoochy, I mistook you for a Sasenach, my depest apologies for this slur on your character :eek:. I was taking your comments tongue in cheek or I'd have told you to awa an' bile yer heid.

The Scots Dispora are famous for our love of dosh. We built Hong Kong just to look after all the lovely dosh we can make abroad and make even more of it. We've been leaving Scotland to make money since we got there. We're generally made out of a mix of the most adventurous, mercenary, Gaels, Celts, Picts, Vikings and even shipwreaked survivors of the Spanish Armada.

I don't know a fellow Scot who hasn't got a sibling, uncle/aunt or a few cousins living abroad.

The Jocks are so good at leaving Scotland to make a bob or two that many of our folk songs are about how much we miss Scotland. We love to sing these songs with deep melancholy, even while still in Scotland. We also love singing that we belong to Glasgow, even though most of us weren't born there and how much we miss the lights of Old Aberdeen, despite not having been there since the early nineties and having no intention of visiting the granite city ever again.

We are a fiercly patriotic race, right up to the point when you show us the greenbacks... :thumbsup:

I'm fairly sure that every Scot on this site, and you may have noticed, there's rather a few, are in ME purely for the money and have great plans to chuck it all in as soon as they've amassed a nice big pot of lolly to retire on.

Personally, my dream is a wee croft on the Isle of Arran but more likely to be a villa somewhere with direct flights to Scotland as the tax implications of going home are really offputting and maybe a wee But n Ben for when we're in Scotland.

Anyone feel I'm being unfair to my fellow countrymen and women? Are we a bunch of mercenaries, or is it just me :cool:?

That's my dude in a nutshell - are you his relative :p With us there's no way we're ever getting a wee croft on the Isle of Arran because I would die in all that cold :ohmy: 6 degrees celcius sees me in bed on top of an electric blanket, covered with another electric blanky under the 34 tog duvet :D Him indoors (rather than dude!!) imagines going back to live there because he used to do rock climbing and mountain running in the good old days but I gently remind him that since he's now 52, and needs to get rid of 24 kgs at least, I don't think those memories mean he can do it all over again. ...... so yep - it's a little bungalow on the seashore somewhere in the world for us. He visits once or twice a year while his mum is alive; once she's gone?? Who knows?

edinburger Jun 14th 2009 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7663278)

Couldn't have put it better!
How long were you in Cairo for? I was studying there for a while. I lived in el Aghouza but spent most of my time in Zemalek drinking stella and eating french onion soup :thumbsup:

ArranLass Jun 14th 2009 11:30 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7663310)
That's my dude in a nutshell - are you his relative :p With us there's no way we're ever getting a wee croft on the Isle of Arran because I would die in all that cold :ohmy: 6 degrees celcius sees me in bed on top of an electric blanket, covered with another electric blanky under the 34 tog duvet :D Him indoors (rather than dude!!) imagines going back to live there because he used to do rock climbing and mountain running in the good old days but I gently remind him that since he's now 52, and needs to get rid of 24 kgs at least, I don't think those memories mean he can do it all over again. ...... so yep - it's a little bungalow on the seashore somewhere in the world for us. He visits once or twice a year while his mum is alive; once she's gone?? Who knows?

We went back last August to visit family. We were invited on a camping trip with an old friend and her husband who were back in Scotland to show their son where Mummy used to live.

This photo was taken at around 2pm in the afternoon in the middle of August at the Wigwam Campsite In Tyndrum. I keep it stuck to the fridge by an, "I did it in a Wigwam" fridge magnate to drive off the Homesickness.

ArranLass Jun 14th 2009 11:43 am

Originally Posted by edinburger (Post 7663329)
Couldn't have put it better!
How long were you in Cairo for? I was studying there for a while. I lived in el Aghouza but spent most of my time in Zemalek drinking stella and eating french onion soup :thumbsup:

I'm back and forth o Cairo with work, last trip was beginning of April. I stay in Maadi just round the corner from my Cairo local, The Red Onion. They knowe how to load your french onion soup with enough brandy to fell an elephant!

You know what the drivers are like in Cairo... They make Bahraini drivers look sensible and sedate but I had really bad car sickness and wasn't in a cab for more than 15 mins! It was like being transported back to the 1970's! Mind you, even my Dad kept at least one hand on the wheel. I had a particuarly chatty driver, he has been cheated out of his inheritance by his evil uncle apparently, who kept waving his hands about and didn't like me shouting at him to keep his hands on the wheel.:rolleyes:

edinburger Jun 14th 2009 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7663363)
I'm back and forth o Cairo with work, last trip was beginning of April. I stay in Maadi just round the corner from my Cairo local, The Red Onion. They knowe how to load your french onion soup with enough brandy to fell an elephant!

You know what the drivers are like in Cairo... They make Bahraini drivers look sensible and sedate but I had really bad car sickness and wasn't in a cab for more than 15 mins! It was like being transported back to the 1970's! Mind you, even my Dad kept at least one hand on the wheel. I had a particuarly chatty driver, he has been cheated out of his inheritance by his evil uncle apparently, who kept waving his hands about and didn't like me shouting at him to keep his hands on the wheel.:rolleyes:

I know what you mean bout the taxi drivers in Cairo, but the strange thing is I think I felt safer driving around Cairo than I do in Riyadh. I think it might be the speed of the driving here, at least back in Cairo their old Skoda's could hardly get over 80kph let alone over 160kph which I have experienced here :eek:

commander Jun 14th 2009 5:34 pm

Couldn't have put it better..I'm here for the bucks, will move around until its time to go back..

It will always be my home but in the meantime, there is a whole world out here that needs me and my countrymen and women. We are gifted by god..To be Scottish is something special..that no Non Scot can even begin to imagine..

Where else can you get a deep fried pizza for your lunch..

ArranLass Jun 14th 2009 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7663990)
Couldn't have put it better..I'm here for the bucks, will move around until its time to go back..

It will always be my home but in the meantime, there is a whole world out here that needs me and my countrymen and women. We are gifted by god..To be Scottish is something special..that no Non Scot can even begin to imagine..

Where else can you get a deep fried pizza for your lunch..

Why does deep fried pizza taste soooo good???

commander Jun 15th 2009 1:58 am

Eeeeh yuck..I was being sarcastic..lol

ArranLass Jun 15th 2009 6:32 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7665043)
Eeeeh yuck..I was being sarcastic..lol

No no! Had it once and it was really tastey! Then again, we had just rowed our Longship from Arran to Largs while draining a few crates of beer for the Viking festival so by the time we got to the chipshop there was nothing else left... Maybe hunger and beer enhanced the flavour?:eek:

seven seas Jun 15th 2009 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7661361)
I had the feeling my mother-in-law was whispering in my ears

Some people would say it'sa a bit early for that kind of mental image....