British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sick in the sooq (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sick-sooq-614335/)

ArranLass Jun 11th 2009 7:29 pm

Sick in the sooq

Why do I get car sick in taxis here? I was fine in the suicidal Egyptiam taxis but every time I'm in a cab here for more than a few minutes I feel awful. I had a meeting near the sooq today and almost threw up when I got out of the cab. Is it just me?:(

commander Jun 12th 2009 7:21 am

Re: Sick in the sooq

Yes its just you...

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 7:58 am

Yep - just you :blink:

zamboooka Jun 13th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7656985)
Why do I get car sick in taxis here? I was fine in the suicidal Egyptiam taxis but every time I'm in a cab here for more than a few minutes I feel awful. I had a meeting near the sooq today and almost threw up when I got out of the cab. Is it just me?:(

you're pregger...!:thumbup:

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 10:21 am

Souq.

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661068)
Souq.

hmmm - I thought it was Souk ;)

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7661098)
hmmm - I thought it was Souk ;)

I think it's actually 'Suq'

Anyway - it def ain't sooq

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661115)

Golly that's a new one .... I was just thinking of the ARTE SOUK :)

edinburger Jun 13th 2009 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661115)

The arabic word is spelled with a "q" not a "k" سوق so it should end in a q the but I think the correct transliteration is Souq....

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7661127)
Golly that's a new one .... I was just thinking of the ARTE SOUK :)

my initial response was from google and souq.com so who knows?!?

Mirriam webster likes the translation from arabic 'suq' to english 'souk' and doesn't list souq.......which doesn't make much sense to me unless translation has become phonetic.

and...yeah - i know the arabic suq is actually not made up of an 's', a 'u' and a 'q'...but really it's a bunch of squiggly lines.

shiva Jun 13th 2009 11:06 am

just to join this geek fest

From Arabic سُوق (sūq), from Aramaic שוקא or ܫܘܩܐ (šūqā’), “‘street, market’”), from Akkadian sūqu (“‘street’”), from sāqu (“‘narrow’

edinburger Jun 13th 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7661131)
my initial response was from google and souq.com so who knows?!?

Mirriam webster likes the translation from arabic 'suq' to english 'souk' and doesn't list souq.......which doesn't make much sense to me unless translation has become phonetic.

and...yeah - i know the arabic suq is actually not made up of an 's', a 'u' and a 'q'...but really it's a bunch of squiggly lines.

Yeah, makes absolutely no sense. I done a degree in Arabic but never wrote transliterated Arabic so I could be wrong :confused:

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7661135)

From Arabic سُوق (sūq), from Aramaic שוקא or ܫܘܩܐ (šūqā’), “‘street, market’”), from Akkadian sūqu (“‘street’”), from sāqu (“‘narrow’

I knew you'd be here at some point!

So what's the correct translation to english?

Anyway - i don't get sick in taxi's. Anxious / shocked / terrified, yes often, but sick no.

Jeeper Jun 13th 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by edinburger (Post 7661140)
Yeah, makes absolutely no sense. I done a degree in Arabic but never wrote transliterated Arabic so I could be wrong :confused:

did

Smoochy Girl Jun 13th 2009 11:11 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7661135)

Wow - from Maltese ...... SUQ = market and saqu (Narrow) is so close to sqaq which means an alley which is narrow :confused:

Oh well most of us know that maltese is 65% arabic but written in the "english" alphabet!!

There you go - learn something every day:p