British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sick 73 y.o. on Brit cruise ship dropped by rescuers into frigid waters (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sick-73-y-o-brit-cruise-ship-dropped-rescuers-into-frigid-waters-714195/)

Boomhauer Apr 21st 2011 6:26 pm

Sick 73 y.o. on Brit cruise ship dropped by rescuers into frigid waters

Dear god, talk about completely buggering up a task.
-3 Celsius water temp.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42697865/?GT1=43001

LONDON — A 73-year-old grandmother was fighting for her life in a British hospital after rescuers dropped her into freezing Arctic waters as they attempted to transfer her from a cruise ship to a lifeboat, British media reported Thursday.

kittycat1 Apr 22nd 2011 6:31 am

Re: Sick 73 y.o. on Brit cruise ship dropped by rescuers into frigid waters

Poor Granny! I hope she gets well soon! Must have been horrific to watch.

What is frigid water btw?

MacScot Apr 22nd 2011 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9319341)
-3 Celsius water temp.

I thought seawater (normal salinity 35 ppt) freezes at -2 degrees Celsius :confused:

Boomhauer Apr 22nd 2011 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9320182)
Poor Granny! I hope she gets well soon! Must have been horrific to watch.

What is frigid water btw?

I believe Frigid just means very very cold.

JulesinDXB Apr 23rd 2011 4:43 am

Poor woman, what a horrible ordeal to go through brrrrr

Blue Cat Apr 23rd 2011 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9319341)
-3 Celsius water temp.

she died :(

kittycat1 Apr 23rd 2011 2:50 pm

Poor Granny, her family must be grief stricken and angry.

Boomhauer Apr 23rd 2011 3:15 pm

I hope both the lifeboat and cruise ship parties get sued, lose their license and face jail time for the gross incompetence. The news article states that a passenger witness says both vessels were moving along at 10 knots and the lifeboat was not secured to the cruise ship.

Kenyon Martin Apr 24th 2011 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9322206)
I hope both the lifeboat and cruise ship parties get sued, lose their license and face jail time for the gross incompetence. The news article states that a passenger witness says both vessels were moving along at 10 knots and the lifeboat was not secured to the cruise ship.

It would have cost them a lot of money to stop the ships. They have a schedule to keep and each minute they are delayed into port costs literally hundreds of pounds.

littlejimmy Apr 24th 2011 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Kenyon Martin (Post 9323000)
It would have cost them a lot of money to stop the ships. They have a schedule to keep and each minute they are delayed into port costs literally hundreds of pounds.

Oh well, as long as they saved a few hundred pounds, eh?

Kenyon Martin Apr 24th 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9323003)
Oh well, as long as they saved a few hundred pounds, eh?

Wether we like it or not- we are all here to serve commerce, not the other way around. They must maintain their schedules..

Blue Cat Apr 24th 2011 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Kenyon Martin (Post 9323007)
Wether we like it or not- we are all here to serve commerce, not the other way around. They must maintain their schedules..

and you're back again :rofl:

weescot Apr 24th 2011 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Kenyon Martin (Post 9323007)

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if it was your granny.

Regardless of the speed vs commerce issue, transferring passengers like this is an extremely dangerous and risky seamanship operation. I know this because I am ex RN and witnessed boat transfers and RAS operations many times (Replenishment at Sea), Whoever made the decision to transfer a sick elderly woman like this in these conditions clearly has very little between the ears in the common sense department.

The bad press and reputation damage that will now follow is far more damaging from a business perpective to these operators.

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.

Warren Buffett

Sue Apr 24th 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 9323016)
I wonder if you'd feel the same way if it was your granny.

Regardless of the speed vs commerce issue, transferring passengers like this is an extremely dangerous and risky seamanship operation. I know this because I am ex RN and witnessed boat transfers and RAS operations many times (Replenishment at Sea), Whoever made the decision to transfer a sick elderly woman like this in these conditions clearly has very little between the ears in the common sense department.

The bad press and reputation damage that will now follow is far more damaging from a business perpective to these operators.

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.

Warren Buffett

Just ignore him, he is a serial troll. He does this all the time, hence why he is never around long ;)

JulesinDXB Apr 24th 2011 3:17 pm

Saving a few hundred quid, is no excuse for putting someone's life on the line. The family must be distraught - what a terrible ordeal.