Only kids, marriage is so last year
3.33%
Neither, plenty of fish in the sea
20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Should Scamp get married and have kids?

Old Nov 30th 2013, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Scamp get married and have kids?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I voted for kids and not marriage. Marriage is an utterly pointless bit of paper.
Not for legal rights, it's not. I wanted children without marriage and my now husband pushed for marriage. Very glad he did now as property, inheritance, and medical legal rights are simple rather than convoluted and negotiable.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Not for legal rights, it's not. I wanted children without marriage and my now husband pushed for marriage. Very glad he did now as property, inheritance, and medical legal rights are simple rather than convoluted and negotiable.
Who said romance was dead...
Old Nov 30th 2013, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I voted for kids and not marriage. Marriage is an utterly pointless bit of paper.
Kids are more important than paper.

I'm a bastard, technically and I don't want my kids to be from a broken home. Marriage to me is still very important because perhaps I come from the shit that happens when they fail + kids. I know, I know, I'm a very impressive human being still....but that's not a guarantee.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

I'm a bastard, technically and I don't want my kids to be from a broken home. Marriage to me is still very important because perhaps I come from the shit that happens when they fail + kids. I know, I know, I'm a very impressive human being still....but that's not a guarantee.
Scamp, there are no guarantees. No matter how long you wait..or not.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 7:12 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Marriage is an odd thing, you can never predict which ones will last and which ones won't.

I got married fairly quickly in most peoples eyes (moving to the Middle East accelerated this) but eight years on no regrets.

I'm glad we didn't wait too long as life is too short (my best friend got married late and was killed in an accident nine weeks later)...my personal opinion is that generally you know if it's the right one, then get on with it. You've realistically only got 50 years good left in you, make them count.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:01 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record, me and Mrs Shed have been married for 29 years today

We have raised three terrific global citizens and I love every day of my family life.

Just saying
Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by TheShed

We have raised three terrific global citizens and I love every day of my family life.

Just saying

Awesome. Congrats to you both!
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed

Just saying
Congratulations. 50% of marriages fail so that is an incredible result.

Equally, there is nothing wrong with that statistic either, people change, life events happen etc. My parents divorced and it was the best thing that happened for them (or one or both of them would be dead by now if they didn't separate).

My point is that a relationship is either strong and working or it isn't. Kids put a lot of stress on that relationship and the paper that is marriage doesn't change any of that or magically make you better parents.

Last edited by Millhouse; Dec 1st 2013 at 5:06 am.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:55 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Harping on about some statistics or trying to write it off simply as a piece of paper is missing the point.

The act of marriage is a cultural statement and a pretty strong one at that. It's a common ritual of civilisation that goes back thousands of years and in all civilised societies. For me the act of getting married was a natural step because I loved a woman and we wanted to formally declare to the world that we were going to be together, just as how our parents and grandparents and great grandparents etc had done.

I suppose you either get it or you don't.

PS the wedding gifts alone are worth it.

Congratulations. 50% of marriages fail so that is an incredible result.

Equally, there is nothing wrong with that statistic either, people change, life events happen etc. My parents divorced and it was the best thing that happened for them (or one or both of them would be dead by now if they didn't separate).

My point is that a relationship is either strong and working or it isn't. Kids put a lot of stress on that relationship and the paper that is marriage doesn't change any of that or magically make you better parents.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

well of course the wedding gifts are worth it if the shop is selfridges- argos has less of a ring to it Ethos
Old Dec 1st 2013, 7:13 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

hey where did the troll go?
Old Dec 1st 2013, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Harping on about some statistics or trying to write it off simply as a piece of paper is missing the point.

The act of marriage is a cultural statement and a pretty strong one at that. It's a common ritual of civilisation that goes back thousands of years and in all civilised societies. For me the act of getting married was a natural step because I loved a woman and we wanted to formally declare to the world that we were going to be together, just as how our parents and grandparents and great grandparents etc had done.

I suppose you either get it or you don't.

PS the wedding gifts alone are worth it.
I sort of agree with what you said... the problem I have is, if I remember correctly, you arranged a pre-nup. That is a very private admission that your very public display of love might not work out as the thousands of years of cultural brainwashing has suggested. A pre-nup after all is effectively a pre-agreed but not yet dated divorce.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 8:09 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry. There's no prenup.

Where did you get the idea?

'Cultural brainwashing'?

I sort of agree with what you said... the problem I have is, if I remember correctly, you arranged a pre-nup. That is a very private admission that your very public display of love might not work out as the thousands of years of cultural brainwashing has suggested. A pre-nup after all is effectively a pre-agreed but not yet dated divorce.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Sorry. There's no prenup.

Don't know where the idea came from?
My mistake. I thought you did. Congratulations then
Old Dec 1st 2013, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I think I was sat next to Scamp and his lady at the Sevens yesterday.

Definitely punching above his weight.

Do it Scampy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.