British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The "Shoe Throwing" Phenomenon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/shoe-throwing-phenomenon-586798/)

Bison Jan 25th 2009 5:49 am

The "Shoe Throwing" Phenomenon

Since the famous shoe throwing attack on George Bush that we have all seen and laughed about, I am noticing more and more incidents of Shoe Throwing across the world being reported in the news.

The latest incident occured during protest in London followong the BBC's decision not to broadcast an appeal for GAZA. Police estimated that 5,000 people took part in a march to Trafalgar Square, during which some demonstrators threw shoes at the BBC's Broadcasting House HQ.

Where did this 'Shoe Throwing' phenomenon orignate?

I think it originated in Britain as Wellie Wanging and that over the years has branched out into other forms or footwear throwing that we see today. For those of you who don't know what wellie wanging is, please see this extraction from Wiki:

Wellie wanging, or wellie throwing, is a sport that originated in Britain, most likely in the county of Yorkshire. Competitors are required to hurl a Wellington boot as far as possible within boundary lines, from a standing or running start. A variation requires participants to launch the wellie from the end of their foot as if they were kicking off a pair of shoes.
I predict we may see further incidents of this nature in the near future, I also predict that we could see new forms of this phenomenon such as: Flip Flop Fighting, Stiletto Stabbing, Trainer Tossing, Dap Decking, Slipper Slapping, Boot Shootings, Clog Clobbering, Football Boot Bashing, Ice Skate Slashings, Roller Blade Beatings.

So I guess you should watch out 'flying shoes' about!

Bison

highways Jan 25th 2009 9:20 am

Re: The "Shoe Throwing" Phenomenon

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7210185)
Since the famous shoe throwing attack on George Bush that we have all seen and laughed about, I am noticing more and more incidents of Shoe Throwing across the world being reported in the news.

The latest incident occured during protest in London followong the BBC's decision not to broadcast an appeal for GAZA. Police estimated that 5,000 people took part in a march to Trafalgar Square, during which some demonstrators threw shoes at the BBC's Broadcasting House HQ.

Where did this 'Shoe Throwing' phenomenon orignate?

I think it originated in Britain as Wellie Wanging and that over the years has branched out into other forms or footwear throwing that we see today. For those of you who don't know what wellie wanging is, please see this extraction from Wiki:

I predict we may see further incidents of this nature in the near future, I also predict that we could see new forms of this phenomenon such as: Flip Flop Fighting, Stiletto Stabbing, Trainer Tossing, Dap Decking, Slipper Slapping, Boot Shootings, Clog Clobbering, Football Boot Bashing, Ice Skate Slashings, Roller Blade Beatings.

So I guess you should watch out 'flying shoes' about!

Bison

In Arabic culture, hitting someone with a shoe means a big insult. This was probably the reason behind throwing the shoes at Bush.

Grace O Malley Jan 25th 2009 9:31 am

lol even sitting with the sole of your shoe pointing upwards. I got told off for that when i first came here FFS

MacScot Jan 25th 2009 10:38 am

Originally Posted by highways (Post 7210468)
In Arabic culture, hitting someone with a shoe means a big insult. This was probably the reason behind throwing the shoes at Bush.

..true...

http://www.kabobfest.com/2008/12/let...ientalist.html

Rapido Jan 25th 2009 10:48 am

In Arabic culture, hitting someone with a shoe means a big insult
It ain't exactly a compliment in other cultures either, I'd say.

The Dean Jan 25th 2009 11:42 am

It only counts as a proper, worthwhile protest if take off and throw one of the shoes you are actually wearing............

............taking spare shoes to throw is for wimps.............