Reload this Page >

Shipping to USA from Dubai

Shipping to USA from Dubai

Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

topcat1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping to USA from Dubai

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to send my stereo amplifier back to the USA for repair, it is 46kg (heavy) but all of the couriers I have tried so far have said that they cannot ship amplifiers. Can anyone suggest a courier company that doesn't charge the earth and is reliable.

Was quoted AED1,200 but when requested the pick up they advised they couldn't send it even though they had already quoted.

The fact that it was shipped to Dubai by air courier has me at a loss as to why I cannot ship it out of the country.

Thanks for any information.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:41 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping to USA from Dubai

Well once it is repaired in the USA, you plan on bringing it back to Dubai again?
Even if you want to keep it there, dont you think it is cheaper to just chuck it in a car and drive to the repair person yourself?
Btw there are Carry Van Drivers who I have used numerous times to transport stuff like TVs, Fridges, Washing Machines etc number of times in and around Dubai and it never was too expensive. I think the most would have been from Bur to Disco for about 200 AED tops. You can sit in with the driver or have him folllow you etc
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Well once it is repaired in the USA, you plan on bringing it back to Dubai again?
Even if you want to keep it there, dont you think it is cheaper to just chuck it in a car and drive to the repair person yourself?
Btw there are Carry Van Drivers who I have used numerous times to transport stuff like TVs, Fridges, Washing Machines etc number of times in and around Dubai and it never was too expensive. I think the most would have been from Bur to Disco for about 200 AED tops. You can sit in with the driver or have him folllow you etc
At 46Kg it isn't a regular amplifier, it must be something pretty special, and worth the effort.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

We purchased the amplifier from the USA and we have it here in Dubai but it needs to go back to the USA for repair and its not something that can be done locally as its custom made. Once repaired it will be going back to the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Its a custom made amplifier therefore needs to go back to the creator to repair
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by topcat1972
We purchased the amplifier from the USA and we have it here in Dubai but it needs to go back to the USA for repair and its not something that can be done locally as its custom made. Once repaired it will be going back to the UK.
On the contrary, if you have the circuit diagrams and can obtain the parts, I would suggest that getting it repaired locally is a good possibility ..... if you can find someone you trust to do the work.

You might try contacting your local ham radio club for advice on shipping electronic equipment as it is likely that someone there might have relevant experience or contacts.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Anything can be shipped as long as you do the paperwork, (Dangerous Goods etc), does it require Air Freight or can it go by sea (in other words is it urgent or not)?? Let me know that and I will tell you who to use!
Old Aug 31st 2016, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

According to all the couriers that we have spoken to and we have spoken to quite a few, they say they dont ship electronics, one said due to a magnet been inside. Its not urgent but just needs to be repaired so quite happy to send by sea as long as it can be picked up in Dubai and gets to the US.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

We originally just sent the circuit board and when it returned it still wasnt right hence needing to send the whole amplifier now therefore we dont have any diagrams etc in order to repair locally.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

I have sent you a pm
Old Sep 1st 2016, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to want it in UK it may well be possible to have it fixed there, even the most esoteric (expensive) stuff can be with very very very few exceptions. I'm in Doha so can't help otherwise I would happily take a gander. All the previous stuff I've worked on had no problems dealing with the manufacturer for remote assistance, schematics, parts etc.

I'd still go with the UK side rather than a shipping to USA and on.