British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sharks at Sandy Beach (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sharks-sandy-beach-661494/)

Autonomy Mar 28th 2010 5:54 am

Sharks at Sandy Beach

Went to Sandy Beach on Friday night - been about 4 times now, nice relaxed place with chalet / BBQ etc.

Good snorkel site at Snoopy Island too.

Got up Friday morning and went out to see if I could see any turtles, which I had before and that is really cool.

However this morning, before breakfast I came across 3 of these little things:-

http://www.oceanwideimages.com/image...reef-shark.jpg

A cuddly 6 foot black tip reef shark....

Scared the crap outta me... even though I know they're not dangerous to see something the same size as you in the water is pretty intense when you don't expect it!

lionheart Mar 28th 2010 6:09 am

Re: Sharks at Sandy Beach

So how far off-shore were these critters?

Autonomy Mar 28th 2010 6:12 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8454270)
So how far off-shore were these critters?

Snoopy Island at high tide is about 100m off shore, but at low tide you can walk out to it.

These sharks tend to like shallow water, I saw them in about 4 to 5 feet of water....

kittycat1 Mar 28th 2010 6:13 am

Dilmun Mar 28th 2010 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8454263)
Scared the crap outta me... even though I know they're not dangerous to see something the same size as you in the water is pretty intense when you don't expect it!

That's why I prefer to swim in places, where there's chlorine in the water and tiles on the floor :)

Roadking Mar 28th 2010 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8454263)

Seeing a whale would scare the crap outta me!

commander Mar 28th 2010 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8454336)
Seeing a whale would scare the crap outta me!

should have went to the horse racing..plenty of beached ones on show

seven seas Mar 28th 2010 7:42 am

Wikipedia reckons there have been 28 unprovoked attacks and 13 provoked attacks in 2008.The question is who would provoke a shark?

The Dean Mar 28th 2010 7:50 am

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8454375)
Wikipedia reckons there have been 28 unprovoked attacks and 13 provoked attacks in 2008.The question is who would provoke a shark?

I once told a great white that his teeth needed seeing to.

He didn't seem to mind.

MacScot Mar 28th 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8454375)

..er..people who stick out their tongue with their fingers in their ears ? http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/i...ile_neener.gif

Arcadia Mar 28th 2010 11:35 am

Sandy Beach is great for diving, we saw Sharks there about 4 years ago. it's a really nice chilled out place to visit..The restaurant is crap though.

PS..I know people say the island looks like snoopy laid on his back..I cant seem to see it myself.

MacScot Mar 28th 2010 12:38 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Arcadia (Post 8454748)
Sandy Beach is great for diving, we saw Sharks there about 4 years ago. it's a really nice chilled out place to visit..The restaurant is crap though.

PS..I know people say the island looks like snoopy laid on his back..I cant seem to see it myself.

..see photo...though the head should be much taller than the belly !!

Blue Cat Mar 28th 2010 3:12 pm

I am absolutely terrified of sharks, seriously bad. It is so bad that I panic when I try to go into the sea here. I have to try and control it as I don't want to pass it onto Mitten but if I am in the sea I am scared. I have been to the Maldives twice and spent all my time at the pool. It all goes back to when I was a kid and saw a shark attack on the beach in South Africa. They say if you know when it started you should be able to confront it and sort it out. :(

Dumyat Mar 29th 2010 7:22 am

I've heard (or read) that there are about 10 species of sea-snake in the Gulf not least due to the warmer waters here and they are quite regularly washed up on the beaches at Abu Dhabi. If you take a bite off one of those things then you've had it as they are deadly.

Roadking Mar 29th 2010 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Dumyat (Post 8456462)
I've heard (or read) that there are about 10 species of sea-snake in the Gulf not least due to the warmer waters here and they are quite regularly washed up on the beaches at Abu Dhabi. If you take a bite off one of those things then you've had it as they are deadly.

But why would you want to bite one?