British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Share your favourite eateries (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/share-your-favourite-eateries-837257/)

Ditzy Jun 24th 2014 12:55 pm

Share your favourite eateries

where are your favourite eating spots? Not in fancy 5* hotels but local eateries. We all know Ravis....but where else do you like to go?

We've been recently to Maharaja Bhog which was formerly Rajdhani (a Thali restaurant in Bur Dubai). it's now classed as Karama though it's nearer Oud Metha.

For 35 AED the waiters just keep topping up your bowls with various scrumptious delights, (we had 6 choices including sweet dal, a potato curry, a tomato curry, a green pepper/paneer curry, etc) with popadums, pickles, chapatis, rice, rotis, mango puree and a halwa pudding. Hic! :o

NorthernLad Jun 24th 2014 1:04 pm

Re: Share your favourite eateries

Originally Posted by Ditzy (Post 11313648)
where are your favourite eating spots? Not in fancy 5* hotels but local eateries. We all know Ravis....but where else do you like to go?

We've been recently to Maharaja Bhog which was formerly Rajdhani (a Thali restaurant in Bur Dubai). it's now classed as Karama though it's nearer Oud Metha.

For 35 AED the waiters just keep topping up your bowls with various scrumptious delights, (we had 6 choices including sweet dal, a potato curry, a tomato curry, a green pepper/paneer curry, etc) with popadums, pickles, chapatis, rice, rotis, mango puree and a halwa pudding. Hic! :o

Eat and Drink on Al Wasl road (next to big Choitrams).

Ditzy Jun 24th 2014 1:06 pm

Yes agreed, big thumbs up to them. Though interestingly some of their other branches are rubbish. We'd rather drive 20 minutes and get to them there than go to the one 5 minutes away!

Irishbeekeeper Jun 24th 2014 3:47 pm

AlZahra resturant in front of AlGhubaiba Bus Station in Bur Dubai
Next to that is Lahori Gate and round the corner is Desi Max
All 3 have very good indian / Paki food and all are very clean
yes I order takeaway from them all the time and yes I am fat :D

MAV_DXB Jun 25th 2014 3:38 am

Gazebo - Kuwait Street, Bur Dubai, an Indian restaurant.

I order a take away at least once a week. Their only failing, it's not very spicy, I ask them to make mine extra extra spicy.

Blue Cat Jun 25th 2014 9:24 am

Caspian for Iranian, Seaview for Seafood, Hungry Tiger for Indian, Fraiche Cafe, The Hamptons, I could go on forever ;)

Millhouse Jun 25th 2014 9:32 am

Samad Al Iraqi is good, not cheap. But good.

Meow Jun 25th 2014 10:17 am

Bombay Chowpatty for great dosas and butter chicken.

mentalist Jun 25th 2014 11:38 am

Fuddruckers in Garhoud for the juiciest burgers in town with as much salad and toppings as you want for Dhs37 with potato wedges. For Chinese, the sizzling sweet and sour hammour at the place next to Sana department store in Karama takes some beating.

Inselaffen Jun 25th 2014 12:01 pm

Special Ostadi in Bur Dubai. fantastic Iranian Kebabs

Bob Jun 26th 2014 10:45 pm

Got a wiki - UAE Places to Eat : British Expat Wiki

How many of those are still about? Any one want to add anything new to the list, go right ahead :)

Meow Jun 28th 2014 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11316479)
Got a wiki - UAE Places to Eat : British Expat Wiki

How many of those are still about? Any one want to add anything new to the list, go right ahead :)

I've very quickly removed a few that no longer exist and added a couple, but it's a never ending job as there are so many places in Dubai, plus many more in Abu Dhabi these days.

Bob Jun 28th 2014 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11318021)
I've very quickly removed a few that no longer exist and added a couple, but it's a never ending job as there are so many places in Dubai, plus many more in Abu Dhabi these days.

I figured as much....it's been a while since I last checked it out and added any recommendations that came up in threads....bit though to see what's still around when one's not a bod on the ground :)