British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Seychelles (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/seychelles-794683/)

Crewegirl Apr 21st 2013 12:08 pm

Seychelles

Hi everyone, not sure this is meant to be on here but figured I would ask anyway.
Has anyone been to the Seychelles? We are booking for October so just wanted advice on which area is best. Not looking for a hotel just a house on the beach for a few of us to stay in.
I know nothing about the Seychelles so any advice would be welcomed.
Many thanks

Blue Cat Apr 21st 2013 12:19 pm

Re: Seychelles

Haven't been, our travel agent recommended the Maldives as better value for money so we went there :thumbsup:

csdf Apr 21st 2013 12:31 pm

I went in November last year. Went to both Mahé and Praslin and did a day-trip to La Digue. I think you'll find it easiest to rent a house on Mahé. There are a few properties in Airbnb too if you use that.

Crewegirl Apr 21st 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks I will take a look at that.
X

soukie Apr 21st 2013 1:21 pm

Have a look at this thread too.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=seychelles

Boomhauer Apr 21st 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10670731)
Haven't been, our travel agent recommended the Maldives as better value for money so we went there :thumbsup:

I take it you heartily endorse the Maldives?
The beaches and cabana style abodes look relaxing but promotional pics are always sexed up.

soukie Apr 21st 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10670731)

Did you enjoy the Maldives? We are looking to go somewhere in July / August from Doha. Would be grateful for any feedback on it :)

al dente Apr 21st 2013 3:39 pm

http://www.seychelles.travel/en/plan...ommodation.php

http://en.seyvillas.com/?lang=en

http://www.forbans.com/

We;re going in July. The most happening beach is Beau Vallon

Crewegirl Apr 21st 2013 4:04 pm

Would be grateful of feedback after your trip.

kungpowdow Apr 22nd 2013 5:19 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 10670767)
Did you enjoy the Maldives? We are looking to go somewhere in July / August from Doha. Would be grateful for any feedback on it :)

Just got back from the Maldives on Saturday after 9 days all inclusive at the Vilamendhoo Island Resort and Spa and it was sensational.

To start off with the last 45 minutes of the flight in to Male is mind blowing if its a clear day, which it was every day of our holiday. After a 90 minute wait in the airport we then had a 30 minute seaplane journey to the resort. You may have a speedboat depending on how far away your resort is. The seaplane was an extra $400 so bear that in mind but was an experience all on its own and a lot of fun. The views were incredible as you would expect.

Our island was only 900 metres long so you could walk round it in no time. I think every resort has its own house reef and Vilamendhoo's was just spectacular. Just walking along the beach you can see reef sharks and rays swimming by in the shallows just a few feet from you. The snorkelling is unbelievable. Moray eels, eagle rays, turtles, black tips, white tips, clownfish, triggerfish, parrotfish, barracuda, lobster, octopus etc. etc. etc. I think i spent most of my time in the water, couldnt drag myself away. We did one dive with the island's dive centre but the snorkelling was actually far better and of course it was free so that was a no brainer.

The Maldives is easily the most beautiful place we've ever been. Pristine white sands, the most ridiculously clear water and the air and atmosphere are fresh and clean. There wasn't any litter to be found anywhere and our hotel was clean, modern, had everything we needed and the service from the local waiters who are extremely friendly and genuinely curious about their guests, was top notch. We found the sun a lot stronger than Dubai because there was no crap in the atmosphere to filter it out so be careful in that respect. Temperature was low to mid 30's every day with clear blue skies. One day out of 9 was patchy cloud. The sunrise and sunset every day were glorious and we almost wore out our camera taking shots. There was also a lot of wildlife on the island as well, wild herons, iguanas, bats which really added to the whole natural beauty aspect.

The only slight negative I had was the fact that you are pretty much stuck on your island eating in the same places every night with the same people. So make sure you choose a good one with a bit of variety...! Most people (ourselves included) were bedded by 10.30pm and up by 6am every day, it just seems to be the norm there so if you are looking for a bit more in terms of nightlife I would also make sure you have a specific look into that. Vilamendhoo had all sorts of entertainment including a variety of sports tournaments against the local staff, crab racing, karaoke (*shudder*), disco night, live bands, cultural nights, presentations etc. We also really enjoyed the excursions that were available to other islands or whale shark / dolphin / snorkelling trips.

We decided to go all inclusive and it was definitely the right choices as the prices were pretty high. $10 a cocktail, $8 a G&T, $25 for the cheapest bottle of wine. Diving and excursions were extra and similarly overpriced but still very enjoyable. It was far better to relax and make the most of the mini bar and poolside service without constantly worrying about the bill.

In short the islands, reefs, beaches, water, wildlife, marinelife, views and weather were just incredible and even better than anything we've seen on our trips to Thailand / Vietnam / India. The Maldives is easily the jewel in the crown of all our trips so far. So much so that we are a bit worried about how our next holiday can possibly compete. It really is paradise.

Anything else you want to know about?

al dente Apr 22nd 2013 7:04 am

Originally Posted by kungpowdow (Post 10671563)
Just got back from the Maldives on Saturday after 9 days all inclusive at the Vilamendhoo Island Resort and Spa and it was sensational.

To start off with the last 45 minutes of the flight in to Male is mind blowing if its a clear day, which it was every day of our holiday. After a 90 minute wait in the airport we then had a 30 minute seaplane journey to the resort. You may have a speedboat depending on how far away your resort is. The seaplane was an extra $400 so bear that in mind but was an experience all on its own and a lot of fun. The views were incredible as you would expect.

Our island was only 900 metres long so you could walk round it in no time. I think every resort has its own house reef and Vilamendhoo's was just spectacular. Just walking along the beach you can see reef sharks and rays swimming by in the shallows just a few feet from you. The snorkelling is unbelievable. Moray eels, eagle rays, turtles, black tips, white tips, clownfish, triggerfish, parrotfish, barracuda, lobster, octopus etc. etc. etc. I think i spent most of my time in the water, couldnt drag myself away. We did one dive with the island's dive centre but the snorkelling was actually far better and of course it was free so that was a no brainer.

The Maldives is easily the most beautiful place we've ever been. Pristine white sands, the most ridiculously clear water and the air and atmosphere are fresh and clean. There wasn't any litter to be found anywhere and our hotel was clean, modern, had everything we needed and the service from the local waiters who are extremely friendly and genuinely curious about their guests, was top notch. We found the sun a lot stronger than Dubai because there was no crap in the atmosphere to filter it out so be careful in that respect. Temperature was low to mid 30's every day with clear blue skies. One day out of 9 was patchy cloud. The sunrise and sunset every day were glorious and we almost wore out our camera taking shots. There was also a lot of wildlife on the island as well, wild herons, iguanas, bats which really added to the whole natural beauty aspect.

The only slight negative I had was the fact that you are pretty much stuck on your island eating in the same places every night with the same people. So make sure you choose a good one with a bit of variety...! Most people (ourselves included) were bedded by 10.30pm and up by 6am every day, it just seems to be the norm there so if you are looking for a bit more in terms of nightlife I would also make sure you have a specific look into that. Vilamendhoo had all sorts of entertainment including a variety of sports tournaments against the local staff, crab racing, karaoke (*shudder*), disco night, live bands, cultural nights, presentations etc. We also really enjoyed the excursions that were available to other islands or whale shark / dolphin / snorkelling trips.

We decided to go all inclusive and it was definitely the right choices as the prices were pretty high. $10 a cocktail, $8 a G&T, $25 for the cheapest bottle of wine. Diving and excursions were extra and similarly overpriced but still very enjoyable. It was far better to relax and make the most of the mini bar and poolside service without constantly worrying about the bill.

In short the islands, reefs, beaches, water, wildlife, marinelife, views and weather were just incredible and even better than anything we've seen on our trips to Thailand / Vietnam / India. The Maldives is easily the jewel in the crown of all our trips so far. So much so that we are a bit worried about how our next holiday can possibly compete. It really is paradise.

Anything else you want to know about?

How much? DId you book it as a package with flights or do flights separately?

Sounds bloody amazing, by the way.

Crewegirl Apr 22nd 2013 7:09 am

I second that. Wow and wow and where did you book? I'm hitting a brick wall when it comes to travel agents in Qatar. Do you normally book hotels/villas separate to flights? And all online? I'm new at this as a normal holiday taken from the UK would be booked via an agent and as a package for us.

kungpowdow Apr 22nd 2013 7:36 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10671635)
How much? DId you book it as a package with flights or do flights separately?

Sounds bloody amazing, by the way.

Flights - 1800 AED PP, Qatar Airways - part of a 3 day sale they had. This was via Doha but FlyDubai now fly direct for only 1700 ish.

Hotel (all inclusive including seaplane transfer) - 11,600 AED PP - But this was for a jacuzzi water villa. If I was going again I would definitely get a beach villa which was around 650 AED a night cheaper and equally as good.

Spending money - $250 PP for one dive, a couple of excursions, one meal in the non all inclusive restaurant and other bits and bobs

Its quite a lot i know but i'm not one of these lucky expats on a ridiculous mega-package and it was sooooo worth every penny for us.

Happy to share some photos if anyone wants to see real snaps and not these airbrushed professional jobs someone mentioned (they will still blow your mind).

jam25mack Apr 22nd 2013 7:48 am

If you're in the UAE them Etihad have some cracking deals on at the minute. You need to go into their shop tho. There's one in Dubai Mall.

Think when I was in there the other day booking our flights one of the offers was for the Maldives and another for Seychelles.

kungpowdow Apr 22nd 2013 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Crewegirl (Post 10671640)
I second that. Wow and wow and where did you book? I'm hitting a brick wall when it comes to travel agents in Qatar. Do you normally book hotels/villas separate to flights? And all online? I'm new at this as a normal holiday taken from the UK would be booked via an agent and as a package for us.

We never use travel agents. You can always find a better deal looking yourself and you cut out the middle man fee too. All of our trips have been separate flight and hotel bookings online. If you organise an airport transfer through the hotel you book with then you really have nothing to worry about.

At Male airport we were so well looked after. The guy who met us on arrival knew our names, flight details, seaplane details everything, and he didnt even accept a $5 dollar tip for hand holding us right through the airport to seaplane check in which says it all.

We booked our flights directly through Qatar Airways and the hotel through Agoda.