Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sex-starved fruit flies turn to drink

Sex-starved fruit flies turn to drink

Old Mar 16th 2012, 5:21 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sex-starved fruit flies turn to drink

Forget nuclear fusion and the upcoming energy/ water crisis - this is exactly the sort of research scientists need to be focusing on.

"Male fruit flies that have been rejected by females drink significantly more alcohol than those that have mated freely, scientists say."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17357560
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:14 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sex-starved fruit flies turn to drink

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
Forget nuclear fusion and the upcoming energy/ water crisis - this is exactly the sort of research scientists need to be focusing on.

"Male fruit flies that have been rejected by females drink significantly more alcohol than those that have mated freely, scientists say."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17357560
Says a lot about single blokes in the middle east doesn't it...
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it probably applies to women as well- or maybe they just turn to chocolate and icecream...
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:32 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

I envy these guys. Seriously, they are paid to take a piss all day, for years. I mean, can you imagine a morning staff meeting and one of the blokes says 'boss, for the next three months I will study sexual habits of fruit flies'. These guys have no budget, no schedule and no sales to make.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

What about those who have mated dearly?
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder what results they were hoping for and how they would then go and use the information collated.

And I wonder how many fruitflies were killed during the research-bloody hate flies, I'd have a morning at work with one of those insect zappers and wipe out a whole colony.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 4:21 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
What about those who have mated dearly?
They wake up in the morning a hangover and a chinese fly next to them and wonder what happened.

Last edited by Millhouse; Mar 16th 2012 at 4:26 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 4:28 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
I do wonder what results they were hoping for and how they would then go and use the information collated.
It does make you wonder. I'm always curious as to who is paying for this research - Assuming they had to apply for funding, what did they claim the results would be used for?

I can only conclude that sex therapy massages will now be available at all AA meetings going forward.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
It does make you wonder. I'm always curious as to who is paying for this research - Assuming they had to apply for funding, what did they claim the results would be used for?

I can only conclude that sex therapy massages will now be available at all AA meetings going forward.
The research was carried out to determine the similarities between the behaviour of flies and of humans in similar situations.

When a male's sexual advances are rejected by a female, does the male turn to drink to lessen the feelings of disappointment?

Male flies - yes.
Male humans - yes.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:30 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
The research was carried out to determine the similarities between the behaviour of flies and of humans in similar situations.

When a male's sexual advances are rejected by a female, does the male turn to drink to lessen the feelings of disappointment?

Male flies - yes.
Male humans - yes.

Blimey, I could have told you that for free.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:34 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post

Male flies - yes.
Male humans - yes.
Where is the category of turning to drink after your advances were accepted?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 1:14 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Blimey, I could have told you that for free.
Things doesn't sound too good for Mr Meow
Old Mar 18th 2012, 1:19 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Things doesn't sound too good for Mr Meow
Ha ha! Mr Meow is happy enough, but I have turned a few men into alkies in the past...