British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sex and the City in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sex-city-abu-dhabi-670230/)

lullabelle May 29th 2010 2:32 pm

Sex and the City in Abu Dhabi

By all accounts the film is shite, but the reviewers here are particularly virulent regarding the portrayal of abu dhabi, especially the women. See this from yesterday's standard:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/film/r...-the-inside.do

My favourite praragraph being:
This is the point at which the last drop of old-style, nostalgic jollity associated
with Sex and the City drains away. It has become a neo-con fantasy, an Anne Coulter-like reversal of radical politics to suit the spirit of the age, where Western “values” must be imposed on savage nations. At the lowest point in the film, Carrie and her mates enter a room full of women in burkas, and the latter remove them, as if compelled by the power of moral example to reveal their own big-label gear, which they are wearing underneath, closer to their true selves. “We too can be American, like you, Carrie,” they seem to say.

Many reviews here calling it, amongst other things, racist.

I was under the impression that sex was the reason it wasn't allowed to be filmed in abu dhabi. Perhaps the authorities just read the script.

kittycat1 May 29th 2010 4:04 pm

Re: Sex and the City in Abu Dhabi

Right then, so they didn't like the film?

The wardrobe is meant to be fabulous though! :D

Desert Dweller May 29th 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8598177)
Right then, so they didn't like the film?

The wardrobe is meant to be fabulous though! :D

One critic's verdict on SATC2: "This year's worst release since the BP oil spill, with just as many f***ed-up birds."

lullabelle May 29th 2010 5:39 pm

As a comitted fan of the series I'll probably go to see it. BUT, I really didn't like the last film.

As for fashion, some of the outfits are ok and the shoes are fab: but I honestly pretty much always thought carrie looked ridiculous. And from the EPK I saw of this film she's got worse. She looks like a little old wizzened witch of the north who has been fannying around with priscilla queen of the desert's dressing up box. True.

Ethos83 May 29th 2010 6:20 pm

I'm more curious as to why Abu Dhabi?

Dubai would make much more sense. Dubai already has a reputation as a glam party town with all the fancy hotels and shops and bars.

But Abu Dhabi?

Abu Dhabi?

Abu Dhabi?

Twix May 29th 2010 7:22 pm

I read that although the movie is set in Abu Dhabi, it was actually filmed in Morocco.

Hello.Kitty May 29th 2010 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Twix (Post 8598377)
I read that although the movie is set in Abu Dhabi, it was actually filmed in Morocco.

got dragged to see it yesterday - utter tripe. A few interesting points in the script though, namely when a supposed sheikh says that "Dubai is finished" (ooo, that's bound to go down well!) and whatsherface who married the Jewish chap decides to go under her maiden name because "Er, it's the Middle East!"

They tried to give some insight (sooo the wrong word), or rather a nod of vague misunderstood recognition to cultural values here - whatsherface the old one was told repeatedly to cover up more, had her hormone supplements confiscated at the airport, got arrested for groping a chap - everyone found this hilarious in the UK cinema, but I didn't - and then dropped a stash of condoms in a souk and proceeded to give all the spectators the finger, which again, got a round of raucous laughter from the public who knows no better.

One thing that did make me smile was when wasserhorsieface's "private butler" told her that he could only afford to go back to India to see his wife every 3 months. If only she knew.

Anyhow, word is that Dubai refused to let it be filmed here... can't see why.

Spugsy May 30th 2010 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8598573)
got dragged to see it yesterday - utter tripe. A few interesting points in the script though, namely when a supposed sheikh says that "Dubai is finished" (ooo, that's bound to go down well!) and whatsherface who married the Jewish chap decides to go under her maiden name because "Er, it's the Middle East!"

They tried to give some insight (sooo the wrong word), or rather a nod of vague misunderstood recognition to cultural values here - whatsherface the old one was told repeatedly to cover up more, had her hormone supplements confiscated at the airport, got arrested for groping a chap - everyone found this hilarious in the UK cinema, but I didn't - and then dropped a stash of condoms in a souk and proceeded to give all the spectators the finger, which again, got a round of raucous laughter from the public who knows no better.

One thing that did make me smile was when wasserhorsieface's "private butler" told her that he could only afford to go back to India to see his wife every 3 months. If only she knew.

it sounds appalling.

Ethos83 May 30th 2010 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8598573)

Heh. I'm now interested in seeing the movie to see how wrong they got the reality of life out here. The chap seeing his wife once every three months - three years, ya mean.

If the movie was filmed in Morocco, why not have it take place in Morocco? Or Egypt. Abu Dhabi still makes no sense.

ctfc May 30th 2010 7:13 am

An equally damning review in the National http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....73392240180705

My expectations would not have been high, but the snake charmer in Abu Dhabi airport and 'nee-kwab' sound spectacularly crap

Hello.Kitty May 30th 2010 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8598881)
it sounds appalling.

yeah, I really feel the need to watch the entire series of Spartacus, Blood and Sand again to regain some kind of mental balance.

As for why Abu Dhabi... well, everything in that film is about brand and celebrity - I guess they had some major funding/ freebies from the big brands and heck, the cinema was packed and all those people are now thinking Abu Dhabi is The Place to Holiday - phwahhahahahaha.

In a way, an inanely superficial and vapid, but instantly "successful" film is the perfect medium to sell and inanely superficial and vapid holiday destination.

soukie May 30th 2010 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8598315)
I'm more curious as to why Abu Dhabi?

Dubai would make much more sense. Dubai already has a reputation as a glam party town with all the fancy hotels and shops and bars.

But Abu Dhabi?

Abu Dhabi?

Abu Dhabi?

Yes - you are right, it does seem a strange choice but perhaps one of the large developers in AD thought it would be good publicity - maybe some baksheesh was on offer;)

I am planning on watching the film when I get back to UK so it should be a laugh.

Desert Dweller May 30th 2010 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8599064)

In a way, an inanely superficial and vapid, but instantly "successful" film is the perfect medium to sell and inanely superficial and vapid holiday destination.

I thought it wasn't in Dubai!!

Meow May 30th 2010 11:26 am

I shall probably download and watch it, largely so I can laugh at the ignorant Americans.

-

Meow May 30th 2010 12:33 pm

Seems that even Americans think the film is stupid.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/b...nt?oid=4132715

-