British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Setting up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/setting-up-929214/)

Millhouse Nov 12th 2019 2:15 pm

Setting up

Hello

I'm thinking of setting up a business. I'd initially employ six people in Dubai and a couple in the US. I need an office to house the Dubai people on a part-time basis (many will have flexible working arrangements/ heavy travel) and so we probably need a "4 person office" full time. I also need a trade licence - I will not provide any onshore services.

I don't want to pay DIFC rates but would like to be close as the team all live in downtown... the narrow list seems to be DWTC, Business bay/ downtown and D3 (I think this is TECOM?). Does anyone have any experience, or useful advice, about setting up in a free zone or the arrangements for working in these areas?

The last resort is JLT even though it is cheap...

Cheers, Richard Branston.

SandyMcSand Nov 12th 2019 6:00 pm

Re: Setting up

This seems to be on trend recently. Handful of colleagues have setup FZ LLC and taken over their respective work orders and setup agreements directly with clients or subbing in via the existing client framework suppliers. A lot of hassle but retaining 80% of their work order value.

Millhouse Nov 13th 2019 3:08 am

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12762963)
This seems to be on trend recently. Handful of colleagues have setup FZ LLC and taken over their respective work orders and setup agreements directly with clients or subbing in via the existing client framework suppliers. A lot of hassle but retaining 80% of their work order value.

nothing is too much hassle for me. I’ve been planning for this for years - it’s all about if the team can take the leap.

Half decent offices seem very cheap.

nottmbantam Nov 13th 2019 5:01 am

I can offer no advice at all whatsoever, but would wish you the best of luck.

IKnowNothing Nov 13th 2019 5:10 am

Speak to Marianna on 055 952 4310, she's brilliant and will guide you through everything, I was on the phone to her on Monday for over 30 minutes, she covers everything you need to know.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12762780)
Hello

I'm thinking of setting up a business. I'd initially employ six people in Dubai and a couple in the US. I need an office to house the Dubai people on a part-time basis (many will have flexible working arrangements/ heavy travel) and so we probably need a "4 person office" full time. I also need a trade licence - I will not provide any onshore services.

I don't want to pay DIFC rates but would like to be close as the team all live in downtown... the narrow list seems to be DWTC, Business bay/ downtown and D3 (I think this is TECOM?). Does anyone have any experience, or useful advice, about setting up in a free zone or the arrangements for working in these areas?

D3 is Dubai Design District. Over the other side of Al Khail from Downtown - must be close to home from you. Apparently very cool, super trendy and ergo probably full of *****.

Lots of good deals in Bidniz Bay, obvs. Some towers are nicer than others as with everywhere but more bang for your buck. Unless they live next door to their office (like me) they aren't walking so spending more on Emaar Square is pointless if they live in Burj Views.
Will your space just be desk space for people coming and going or will it 'entertain' visitors? If the former it kind of doesn't matter unless it's in a shithole, go slightly cheaper and make the inside-the-office-doors environment lovely.
Be a good boss and focus on somewhere with affordable / free parking and good places for lunch nearby. That's all people give a shit about.

Very best of luck.

TheShed Nov 13th 2019 5:31 am

I set up my company in JLT (DMCC registered) about 2 years ago. The process was almost as easy as DIFC but less than half the cost. They have the same kind of do everything office in AlMas tower and I've always found them to be friendly, helpful and efficient. Everything from co setup to visa issuance etc.

Lots of office options including plenty of serviced spaces/hot desks for the startup crowd and SMEs. I have a very small office that fits 3 people in Mazaya Biz Avenue for 65k all in. I can use the conference rooms for free and take on extra space for projects when needed. Get the usual dedicated landline, which is answered when I'm not in the office by reception. The actual DMCC managed spaces are quite a bit more pricey, but a bit more upmarket.

One big issue in JLT is parking so you need to check you get spaces with any office, but it does have a couple of metro stations, so that's always an option, depending upon which cluster you are in.

Hope it helps and the very best of luck in your venture :)

weasel decentral Nov 13th 2019 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12762780)
Hello

I'll head up your US arm, and by head up I mean draw a hefty wedge while pursuing 'business leads' . You're welcome

Millhouse Nov 13th 2019 8:09 am

Thanks - today I've looked at some serviced offices in WTC area as well as WTC One. Great buildings and not too expensive but minimum office sizes around 10x what I need.

Will investigate other options - thanks for all the tips. I do like Bay Sq. and D3 as areas. We've been advised against JLT for perception reasons.

TheShed Nov 13th 2019 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12763256)
Thanks - today I've looked at some serviced offices in WTC area as well as WTC One. Great buildings and not too expensive but minimum office sizes around 10x what I need.

Will investigate other options - thanks for all the tips. I do like Bay Sq. and D3 as areas. We've been advised against JLT for perception reasons.

I would agree if you're looking at a finance thing as credibility counts highly. DMCC does have a reputation for some dodgy small firms :(

Millhouse Nov 13th 2019 9:21 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12763262)
I would agree if you're looking at a finance thing as credibility counts highly. DMCC does have a reputation for some dodgy small firms :(

Exactly. At least the DIFC has a reputation for some dodgy large firms.

I think I'm going to go ADGM with an office in Dubai somewhere.