Semantics

Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Semantics

Originally Posted by Scamp
OK...so let's say you did something that if direct would be a bit naughty.

But you did it in an indirect way, in fact...not even mentioning what you may want to achieve, but leaving an individual open to nominating them for what you're trying to get.

Would you still be in the firing line for doing what your not meant to do because it was worded in a way which in no way suggests you want the recipient to act....even though it may be something that you want?

(apologies if that makes no sense)
Come on - nitty-gritty please..........

Is this like asking someone if you can borrow his wife's Ford Fiesta for the weekend, hoping he will say 'Look, why don't you take my Lamborghini instead?'
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:12 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Come on - nitty-gritty please..........

Is this like asking someone if you can borrow his wife's Ford Fiesta for the weekend, hoping he will say 'Look, why don't you take my Lamborghini instead?'
Going by the OP it sounds like it's more akin to asking if you can borrow his wife's Fiesta for the weekend and hoping he'll say take the wife, too
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:13 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
You managed to get this far into the most surreal thread in history - and you're worried about context???
It was only about 3 posts ago that I was convinced the context wasn't sex.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

If you're asking for Y, when it's impossible, but the listener has the ability to offer X as an alternative, then honestly your speech act can be assumed to mean you were asking for X in the first place unless you plead innocence. If someone comes along and states you've already made enquiries about Y and been given an authoritative answer, then you're up the creek without a paddle.

Please, no protesting now (and by that I mean expats over the bridge might have noticed things are quieter today since the ban)
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:10 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want the view of an Irish lesbo, well don't f'kn ask me...
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:33 pm