British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Semantics (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/semantics-776186/)

The Dean Oct 30th 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Semantics

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10357334)
OK...so let's say you did something that if direct would be a bit naughty.

But you did it in an indirect way, in fact...not even mentioning what you may want to achieve, but leaving an individual open to nominating them for what you're trying to get.

Would you still be in the firing line for doing what your not meant to do because it was worded in a way which in no way suggests you want the recipient to act....even though it may be something that you want?

(apologies if that makes no sense)

Come on - nitty-gritty please..........

Is this like asking someone if you can borrow his wife's Ford Fiesta for the weekend, hoping he will say 'Look, why don't you take my Lamborghini instead?' ;)

hnd Oct 30th 2012 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10357454)

Is this like asking someone if you can borrow his wife's Ford Fiesta for the weekend, hoping he will say 'Look, why don't you take my Lamborghini instead?' ;)

Going by the OP it sounds like it's more akin to asking if you can borrow his wife's Fiesta for the weekend and hoping he'll say take the wife, too :)

Bahtatboy Oct 30th 2012 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10357450)
You managed to get this far into the most surreal thread in history - and you're worried about context??? :blink:

It was only about 3 posts ago that I was convinced the context wasn't sex.

Beakersful Oct 30th 2012 2:39 pm

If you're asking for Y, when it's impossible, but the listener has the ability to offer X as an alternative, then honestly your speech act can be assumed to mean you were asking for X in the first place unless you plead innocence. If someone comes along and states you've already made enquiries about Y and been given an authoritative answer, then you're up the creek without a paddle.

Please, no protesting now (and by that I mean expats over the bridge might have noticed things are quieter today since the ban)

Miss Anne Thrope Oct 30th 2012 3:10 pm

If you want the view of an Irish lesbo, well don't f'kn ask me...

Autonomy Oct 30th 2012 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10357355)
Alright, I'll try again.

I want you to give me X
But I ask for Y (hoping you give me X and Y, but happy with either on their own)
You get shitty because I'm not meant to ask for X
I say I never asked for X

Can you still get shitty with me? Even though at no point I asked for X...

is this about chromosomes?

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 31st 2012 4:41 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10357454)

Sort of, more like what hnd is getting at;

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 10357467)
Going by the OP it sounds like it's more akin to asking if you can borrow his wife's Fiesta for the weekend and hoping he'll say take the wife, too :)

Yeah, asking for something but hoping to get the better option. Like your kid asking you for money for a cab, knowing full well that you'll just offer them a lift....and maybe a bit of money for whatever it is.

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10357513)
If you're asking for Y, when it's impossible, but the listener has the ability to offer X as an alternative, then honestly your speech act can be assumed to mean you were asking for X in the first place unless you plead innocence. If someone comes along and states you've already made enquiries about Y and been given an authoritative answer, then you're up the creek without a paddle.

Please, no protesting now (and by that I mean expats over the bridge might have noticed things are quieter today since the ban)

What if written, so there can be no mistake in what was written?

I would like X please
(we know you meant Y, that's why we are so pissed off)
No I didn't I want X
....knowing full well there is every chance that a response will give me Y.

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10357593)
is this about chromosomes?

I wish.