British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Selling a car in Muscat... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/selling-car-muscat-861020/)

Oman it was Jun 30th 2015 3:53 pm

Selling a car in Muscat...

We are looking to sell off my wife's Seat Leon 2 ltr as we are moving back to the UK.

I need some advise , we got an email from a prospective buyer who says he is working off country and would pay the asking price and then would get a 'mover' to come and collect. I know that this is not an easy process in Oman as the Registration document has to be transferred over too. In absence of the actual buyer, what would be the situation. Is it possible ..a sale like this ?

Am not sure on the authenticity of the buyer and hence a question to the group...

Any help, more than welcome. I am in Muscat on Saturday and would like to sell the car as soon as possible but to the actual buyer...

Thanks....

britexpat76 Jun 30th 2015 7:06 pm

Re: Selling a car in Muscat...

Originally Posted by Oman it was (Post 11688763)
We are looking to sell off my wife's Seat Leon 2 ltr as we are moving back to the UK.

I need some advise , we got an email from a prospective buyer who says he is working off country and would pay the asking price and then would get a 'mover' to come and collect. I know that this is not an easy process in Oman as the Registration document has to be transferred over too. In absence of the actual buyer, what would be the situation. Is it possible ..a sale like this ?

Am not sure on the authenticity of the buyer and hence a question to the group...

Any help, more than welcome. I am in Muscat on Saturday and would like to sell the car as soon as possible but to the actual buyer...

Thanks....

Simple. Avoid. Sell it to someone physically there.

TGFKASE Jul 1st 2015 4:37 am

Scammer.. Dont touch with a barge pole....

Jammy_Dodgers Jul 1st 2015 1:42 pm

Where you working on the Muscat Airport Project?

cherrick Jul 4th 2015 7:11 am

ditto on the "skip this scammer". This is a well-known form of scam/theft. They do this often in the USA on Craigs List classified. It is almost always of the form
1. I want to buy your object
2. I am out of the country
3. Please send me your address and I will post a (travelers check/bank check/etc)
4. don't worry about pickup as I will have my agent come do the transfer and take the object

Pay special attention to items #2 and #4. If you see them, run like the wind (or Christopher Cross).

What ever "check" you will receive will turn up to be fraudulent and you will have no recourse.