British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Selfie deaths (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/selfie-deaths-872253/)

Millhouse Feb 11th 2016 11:47 am

Selfie deaths

https://d28wbuch0jlv7v.cloudfront.ne...d_deaths_n.jpg

mission Feb 11th 2016 11:53 am

Re: Selfie deaths

err whats a 'selfie death'?
you die after having taken a selfie? or you die while taking a selfie?

Dorothy Feb 11th 2016 11:54 am

Anyone who takes selfies deserves what they get :sneaky:

scot47 Feb 11th 2016 11:55 am

It is divine judgement on the self-obsessed.

Millhouse Feb 11th 2016 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11864440)
err whats a 'selfie death'?
you die after having taken a selfie? or you die while taking a selfie?

""Priceonomics researched reported selfie-related deaths worldwide since 2014 from various news archives, uncovering 49 firm cases. The top three causes of death for selfie-takers were falls from heights (claiming 16 lives), drowning (14) and accidents with trains (8). "
"

The indians never let you down.

Irishbeekeeper Feb 11th 2016 2:06 pm

After reading this, there are a few people I know who I wish would start taking more selfies ;)

Boomhauer Feb 11th 2016 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11864452)
""Priceonomics researched reported selfie-related deaths worldwide since 2014 from various news archives, uncovering 49 firm cases. The top three causes of death for selfie-takers were falls from heights (claiming 16 lives), drowning (14) and accidents with trains (8). "
"

The indians never let you down.

Not really a fair comparison due to the population difference between countries. Only China is a comparable nation against India.

I can sort of see why India would be leading. Lots of people die on their trains/on tracks and their safety education and access to proper medical care is close to nill for the vast majority.

Judging from TV/ pics, life is hectic and with the insane traffic you have all the factors that contribure to such high deaths. Even before selfies, India has always had a very high number of civilian fatalities from accidents .

-
Also not suprised Russia was # 2. Countelss road traffic videos of Russians on Youtube, evidently has to do somethig with insurance claims. Russians seem to just wing it and prone to hard liquor consumption.

I am probably the only person in the world who hasn't taken a selfie. Which must sound bonkers to anyone teen/20 something person.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 11th 2016 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11864442)
Anyone who takes selfies deserves what they get :sneaky:

:goodpost: quite.

Irishbeekeeper Feb 11th 2016 8:49 pm

I hate people who take selfies at a ratio of more than once a year. I believe they are narcissistic and Facebook, Instagram, whatsapp and their ilk are to blame.
I once took a selfie with the burj in the background two years ago and I was so mercilessly and vehemently ridiculed by my friends that I saw the error of my ways. I believe we as a mankind should go out of our ways to always ridicule and snub any of our friends and friends of our friend so much so that a selfie should become a thing of taboo rather than a thing of self elation.
Pro-tip : Always approach a selfie taker head-on with calling his or her nose / forehead as too large and/or calling his or her lineage into question relating his or her's mother mating with a baboon!

Boomhauer Feb 11th 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11864987)
I hate people who take selfies at a ratio of more than once a year. I believe they are narcissistic and Facebook, Instagram, whatsapp and their ilk are to blame.
I once took a selfie with the burj in the background two years ago and I was so mercilessly and vehemently ridiculed by my friends that I saw the error of my ways. I believe we as a mankind should go out of our ways to always ridicule and snub any of our friends and friends of our friend so much so that a selfie should become a thing of taboo rather than a thing of self elation.
Pro-tip : Always approach a selfie taker head-on with calling his or her nose / forehead as too large and/or calling his or her lineage into question relating his or her's mother mating with a baboon!

I think people take selfies because others are doing it, just seems like people are following the crowd and doing it because it is the in-thing to do.

I don't think it is necessarily out of narcissism, though for some people who have become minor internet celebs owing to their selfie taking it does seem like narcissitic behaviour or astute business practice.

Another dumb thing is people throwing up the peace sign and those duck faces. Or that moronic planking craze or the ice bucket challenge. My b-in-law did the ice bucket challenge, forcing me to give him crap:lol:

hnd Feb 12th 2016 8:30 am

Boomhauer, you are not alone - I've never taken a selfie either. I also try never to be photographed ... don't want to frighten the children😁

Millhouse Feb 13th 2016 3:24 am

I only take naked selfies.

Millhouse Feb 13th 2016 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11864980)
Not really a fair comparison due to the population difference between countries. Only China is a comparable nation against India.

I can sort of see why India would be leading. Lots of people die on their trains/on tracks and their safety education and access to proper medical care is close to nill for the vast majority.

Judging from TV/ pics, life is hectic and with the insane traffic you have all the factors that contribure to such high deaths. Even before selfies, India has always had a very high number of civilian fatalities from accidents .

-
Also not suprised Russia was # 2. Countelss road traffic videos of Russians on Youtube, evidently has to do somethig with insurance claims. Russians seem to just wing it and prone to hard liquor consumption.

I am probably the only person in the world who hasn't taken a selfie. Which must sound bonkers to anyone teen/20 something person.

only a 1/3 of Indians (300million people) have access to a smartphone. 100% of amercians do (300 million people)

Per capita, I think they are still world leaders in stupidity - although the pips don't fair well either.

Bahtatboy Feb 13th 2016 7:08 am

3 Attachment(s)
Seriously guys? The selfie's been around pretty much since photography was invented, and was preceeded by painting self-portraits. The greats have taken them, and continue to do so. Anyone going to argue with Cartier-Bresson or Ansell Adams?

Attachment 123982

Attachment 123983

Attachment 123984

FB is a way of keeping in touch with distant family and friends, and whilst I'm happy to see pics of where mine are I relish seeing those pics with both them and their locations.

Boomhauer Feb 13th 2016 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11866109)
only a 1/3 of Indians (300million people) have access to a smartphone. 100% of amercians do (300 million people)

Per capita, I think they are still world leaders in stupidity - although the pips don't fair well either.

You don't need a smartphone to take a selfie though.