Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Segregation "wall" or "partition?

Segregation "wall" or "partition?

Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Segregation "wall" or "partition?

There's a conversation on another forum that I ought to bring up. A young Saudi (so the poster identifies as) explains that a woman must be 'untouched' by other men, and this is taken to mean seeing or talking to her. No man would want her after that.

They do have divorce courts and are allowed to remarry, but we've seen how low the dowry gets then (and presumed value of the 'property')
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
There's a conversation on another forum that I ought to bring up. A young Saudi (so the poster identifies as) explains that a woman must be 'untouched' by other men, and this is taken to mean seeing or talking to her. No man would want her after that.
Utterly ridiculous. They think a woman is somehow 'tainted' by having spoken to a man? The ultimate in sexist control.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:08 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Utterly ridiculous. They think a woman is somehow 'tainted' by having spoken to a man? The ultimate in sexist control.
Tribal culture combined with literal readings of their favourite monotheism...I think it demeans men too. Apparently we can't control ourselves and are all roaming the streets ready to pounce on unveiled females.

No wonder they don't allow their women to marry people of other religions - if they did half the women in the GCC would leave

N.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Tribal culture combined with literal readings of their favourite monotheism...I think it demeans men too. Apparently we can't control ourselves and are all roaming the streets ready to pounce on unveiled females.

No wonder they don't allow their women to marry people of other religions - if they did half the women in the GCC would leave

N.
That's a point I have made many times. The veil etc is as demeaning to men as it is to women. All it seems to be about is sex and control.

Frankly, when it comes to the human body, you've either got it or you've seen it. There is no big deal.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:52 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

What sickens me--literally makes me queasy--is seeing pre-pubescent schoolgirls boarding a school bus with curtains. What sick retard decided that they need protecting from laciviousness?