Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Secrets to happy marriages/relationships

Secrets to happy marriages/relationships

Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:43 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secrets to happy marriages/relationships

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I was with you about people making assumptions about women etc but really when someone describes themselves as a pay grade above someone it just doesn't come off well. Regardless of gender, its a bit boorish to be honest.
It was meant to be boorish. I get dismissed and ignored by women because their husband is a paygrade above mine. There are people truly that shallow. I'm quite happy to be boorish to, or even quite frankly ignore, people like that.

Millhouse - lol. It prob does come across as a chip, but the outrageous sexism from men & women (as Meow describes) is just so freaking wearisome.

Theseus - nice try.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:08 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
Hmm i like this - i suppose on one hand i could say my last relationship was successful as we are both still very fond of each other and give each other support and are best friends (no benefits ). On the other hand its not often one comes out of a relationshiop unscathed and therefore if you get hurt a lot is it successful?
Well it can be successful in my ways in my opinion even if you get hurt maybe its the price of getting some self awareness and growing up a little. So in general the benefits outweigh the negatives.
If you can look back at it and not regret that you met in the first place then maybe it was successful.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
It was meant to be boorish. I get dismissed and ignored by women because their husband is a paygrade above mine. There are people truly that shallow. I'm quite happy to be boorish to, or even quite frankly ignore, people like that.
I don't care what you earn. Genuinely. (Unless I'm trying to place you).

I literally couldn't give a monkeys. Do I care? Not one bit.

Position and pay grades - don't care about them either. Give me a title of '****wit Extrordinaire' and I'll carry on happy, dishing out cards like I'm the boss.

All I'm interested in is whether someone is a decent human being or a ****. I've met people on this board for example who I like a lot....who are much more senior than me (in position and years you bunch of old gits) and earn much, much more. Yeah there are comments on here looking down on me as a lowly rec-con struggling to make money sometimes but I just don't care.

If you're a decent person and friendly, I'm not interested if your rich or poor. If you're a prick, I want to know and if rich, you're a bigger prick, if poor then I'll just laugh more at you for being poor and a prick.

It just doesn't matter, if people in that conference were looking at you like a secretary then who cares? Who the **** cares? OS, you know what you do, you know what you earn, you don't need to wlak around caring what other people think. If people judge by what their husbands do then that is their problem, not yours. If your bloke is happy then **** 'em.

Focus your efforts on making sure then next generation of OriginalSunshine's grow up as decent human beings so they never care if they are judged.

**** the world, **** the women who sneer at your blokes job, **** the people who expect you to be a tea maker, **** them. **** them all.

**** this shit.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:12 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I don't care what you earn. Genuinely. (Unless I'm trying to place you).

I literally couldn't give a monkeys. Do I care? Not one bit.

Position and pay grades - don't care about them either. Give me a title of '****wit Extrordinaire' and I'll carry on happy, dishing out cards like I'm the boss.

All I'm interested in is whether someone is a decent human being or a ****. I've met people on this board for example who I like a lot....who are much more senior than me (in position and years you bunch of old gits) and earn much, much more. Yeah there are comments on here looking down on me as a lowly rec-con struggling to make money sometimes but I just don't care.

If you're a decent person and friendly, I'm not interested if your rich or poor. If you're a prick, I want to know and if rich, you're a bigger prick, if poor then I'll just laugh more at you for being poor and a prick.

It just doesn't matter, if people in that conference were looking at you like a secretary then who cares? Who the **** cares? OS, you know what you do, you know what you earn, you don't need to wlak around caring what other people think. If people judge by what their husbands do then that is their problem, not yours. If your bloke is happy then **** 'em.

Focus your efforts on making sure then next generation of OriginalSunshine's grow up as decent human beings so they never care if they are judged.

**** the world, **** the women who sneer at your blokes job, **** the people who expect you to be a tea maker, **** them. **** them all.

**** this shit.
Having a good day mate?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:06 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp - thank you.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:29 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
This is a very good point. Some of the most miserable relationships I know the people involved have been together a long time. How many people stay together because of the children when in reality they should be divorced.

My parents are an example of this ... they've been married for just over 60 years and, generally speaking, can't abide each other. They've spent pretty much the past 40 odd years making life as miserable for the other as they possibly can. Why they felt they had to 'celebrate' their anniversary last year is beyond me.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:37 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
My parents are an example of this ... they've been married for just over 60 years and, generally speaking, can't abide each other. They've spent pretty much the past 40 odd years making life as miserable for the other as they possibly can. Why they felt they had to 'celebrate' their anniversary last year is beyond me.
That just made me smile. Have some Karma
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:43 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Secrets? No secret, stay single and rent, it's cheaper in the long run.

Allegedly.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:04 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
That just made me smile. Have some Karma

Thanks

Guess it may be a good thing they didn't divorce - they may have remarried and made two more people as miserable as they are
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Original Sunshine, it sounds like you need to get yourself some new friends. Seriously.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:12 pm
womble

They are not friends. But sadly in this expat life, they are often friends of friends, or acquaintances, or people at a ball (I now avoid sh*t like that) etc. You know how it is.

My friends, my real friends, range from CEOs & CFOs through to part-time primary school teacher assistants. Like Scamp, *I* don't care what a person does, or "who" they are, but what kind of person are they. And I detest people who judge others simply by status, and apply the same standards back. Some days/weeks though, the cumulative wankiness gets to me.... shrug.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

They are not friends. But sadly in this expat life, they are often friends of friends, or acquaintances, or people at a ball (I now avoid sh*t like that) etc. You know how it is.

My friends, my real friends, range from CEOs & CFOs through to part-time primary school teacher assistants. Like Scamp, *I* don't care what a person does, or "who" they are, but what kind of person are they. And I detest people who judge others simply by status, and apply the same standards back. Some days/weeks though, the cumulative wankiness gets to me.... shrug.
Years ago, when I launched my pub/restaurant and invited the *allegedly* important people within the community a woman came up to me and said "We understand that you are running this restaurant"..Me.."yes I am".."We also understand that you are running it on your own"..."Yes I am"... "Oh!..Don't you have a husband then?".... " Well, not one of my own darling..."
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

going off topic slightly, I get really fed up when women define themselves and other women by "what my/your husband does"; I usually tell them what my husband does (a happy competent, enjoys being a nerdy engineer), and they dismiss me and it is sooo mutual when I know their husband is a pay grade below me

Or like the other night, being the only woman amongst 20+ men at a corporate function (that I was leading) and getting blanked or dismissed as WAG/secretary by a couple of guests that were invited along as a courtesy rather because they had anything to do with the event. Screw 'em, they'll have to dance if they want a contract from me.
I remember sitting at my bar, with my bar manager, having coffee, just before we opened... A salesman pulled into the car park and the conversation went...
Me.. (to my bar manager) "watch this..he is going to come in and ignore me and speak to you"
My BM.. "I think you're right about that"
Salesman to BM.. Good morning.. Is your boss here?"
BM,, "Yes"
Me.. "Hi, may I help you?"
SM.. to BM.. after a cursory nod in my direction... " May I speak to him?"
BM... "Errr It's not a him.. this..( looking at me)...is my boss"
I smile...
SM.."morning love, can I speak to your husband?"
Me.." Well you could, but..I haven't spoken to him for 7 years so I wish you luck! Also, I want to give you some advise..next time you walk into a pub, stop and take the time to glance up at the board above the door....if you had done that you would have seen that it said..'Mrs *******, licensed to sell.... and as you walked into this pub you would have spoken to me not my bar manager. Now leave"
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

fluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I remember sitting at my bar, with my bar manager, having coffee, just before we opened... A salesman pulled into the car park and the conversation went...
Me.. (to my bar manager) "watch this..he is going to come in and ignore me and speak to you"
BM,, "Yes"
I smile...
Me.." Well you could, but..I haven't spoken to him for 7 years so I wish you luck! Also, I want to give you some advise..next time you walk into a pub, stop and take the time to glance up at the board above the door....if you had done that you would have seen that it said..'Mrs *******, licensed to sell.... and as you walked into this pub you would have spoken to me not my bar manager. Now leave"
Brilliant xx
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:23 am
womble

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
BM,, "Yes"
I smile...
exactly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.