Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Seaworld coming to a MidEast nation; maybee..

Seaworld coming to a MidEast nation; maybee..

Old May 22nd 2014, 9:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seaworld coming to a MidEast nation; maybee..

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
In your expereince ,is it mostly Western expats who are critical of the dolphin capitivity at Atlantis?
What are you getting at?
Old May 22nd 2014, 1:25 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

In your expereince ,is it mostly Western expats who are critical of the dolphin capitivity at Atlantis?
No. The dolphins don't like it either.
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
What are you getting at?
Concern for animal welfare ; not really noticed it amongst MidEastern and Asians like it is in the West, and I am not talking about the poor but the middle and upper classes.
Old May 22nd 2014, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Tricky one...the people I know who have been for the 'dolphin experience' are all Western expats.1
True, swimming with dolphins is on many people's bucket list. I know a lady who has just came back from a two week holiday in Dubai and swimming with the dolphins was on her "To do" list..bloody overweight tourists hanging onto the back of the poor dolphins fin always looks sick and painful for the dolphin aswell.
Old May 24th 2014, 3:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my dreams is to swim with dolphins but only if they are in their own habitat. I find it abhorrent that these intelligent and beautiful creatures are kept in captivity.

I've been on a couple of dolphin and whale safaris from Auckland, NZ and have been lucky enough to see loads of common dolphins, bottlenose dolphins and a Bryde's whale. I've seen dolphins from the beaches around us here but not managed to spot any orcas. Though we get a number of pods passing by.

The tours are very responsible here and will let you swim with the dolphins but only if there are no babies in the pod. Then it's a complete no -no.

I shall continue to boycott places such as Sea world.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Captive whales & dolphins kept for people's entertainment value is wrong.

Breeding dolphins or whales in captivity to ensure wretched water tanks are kept filled by these animals purely for people's entertainment is wrong.

I hope the whole thing falls flat on it's face . Last time I was in Singapore ( Sentosa) we happened on the so called pink dolphins display. Sickening. We didn't pay to watch . Even more sickening that one was expected to think it was for conservation purposes.

I am not even sure I agree with the swim with dolphins/whales in the 'wild' is really OK although there are many reasonably responsible outfits out there. There are also many that take it too much to the edge.

These types of outfits, just like animal 'parks' shuld put the need of the animals and conservation first over people. However, I do realise such ventures also need funds to achieve aims in conservation and understanding.

Where I live there are whale strandings every summer. If you had heard the way these pods - large matriarchal extended family groups - communicate with each other and their distress you would never want to watch a solitary whale or a dolphin being made to do tricks for people - and that includes so called swimming in tanks.

As you can read, I am not a fan. I have done the training for Project Jonah though , so next time there is a stranding, my husband and I may be able to be of real help to these animals, rather than those that are cheap voyeurs customers to what is a degrading circus.
Old May 24th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I do not agree at all with keeping any animals in captivity but Blackfish is a load of nonsense owing to the fact that no one in it actually worked with the Orca's

http://seaworld.com/en/truth/truth-about-blackfish/
And Schindler's List is nonsense because no one in it actually worked with the nazis.

www.whitepride.com

I know it's fashionable to be not shocked by anything ,and to have known all along how bad things were before they became causes celebres, but dismissing the entire film is incorrect.

Shamu's murder spree is merely one of the problems that this kind of activity causes.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
No. The dolphins don't like it either.
has anyone asked them? They also look so smiley to me...
Old May 24th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
has anyone asked them? They also look so smiley to me...
They probably wanted to rape you
Old May 25th 2014, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a giant whale and octopus sculptures going north of doha golf club...

couldn't help remembering this tread
Old May 25th 2014, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Really? You can't tell me you actually believe that

It was a shock-doc which generally don't tell the whole story to something as it tends to make the program boring. Take it with a pinch of salt.
I'd seen footage of some of the attacks long before the movie came out. They made world headlines because they happened in full view of the public.
Old May 26th 2014, 9:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

They probably wanted to rape you
Have you read that Carl Hiaasen book too?
Old May 26th 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have you read that Carl Hiaasen book too?
Haven't read any of his books.Which one are you thinking of?
Old May 27th 2014, 10:27 am
Bored liberal

Haven't read any of his books.Which one are you thinking of?
Native Tongue. All his books are based in Florida, but this one is set around dodgy theme park with a rapey dolphin.
Old May 27th 2014, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Native Tongue. All his books are based in Florida, but this one is set around dodgy theme park with a rapey dolphin.
A rapey dolphin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.