I am not Scottish and would vote No
44.68%
I am not Scottish and am undecided
2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Scottish Independence - Yes or No?

Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:12 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence - Yes or No?

What a fuss about what the new flag might potentially look like "Because there is no guidance", cue running around with hair on fire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25205017
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:38 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
What a fuss about what the new flag might potentially look like "Because there is no guidance", cue running around with hair on fire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25205017
This is the kind of shit I mean when I say minutiae.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by shiva
This is the kind of shit I mean when I say minutiae.
Indeed, but they all add up don't they.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 7:55 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of

This discussion is really fanning the flames of my patriotism (especially the informative posts from Shiva) yet I still have absolutely no idea which choice would make for a "better" Scotland. There seem to be many good arguments for both sides.

I wonder how many other people are in my position - Average Joes lacking the requisite information to make an informed decision. I will probably never have an in depth understanding of the politics, budgets, north sea oil and gas revenues, EU membership etc. and so my vote will most likely be based on nothing more than my own life experience. This worries me as votes for this referendum will be driven by emotion rather than logic and that is where spin doctoring and misdirection come into the equation.

I detest the small man syndrome that I hear and see from a lot of my fellow Scots who feel that we have something to prove as a nation... BUT... This is easily counterbalanced by the silly comments from ignorant English people who claim that NI, Wales and Scotland do nothing more than drag England down.

I am proud to be British. Through our little collection of charismatic nations and people we have punched far above our geographical weight for a long, long time. The UK is a great example of a successful union of people for the betterment of all (for the most part) and I think our focus as a nation of proud Scots should be on how we can continue to contribute to that success, and not on trying to prove ourselves to nobody but ourselves.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by kungpowdow
This discussion is really fanning the flames of my patriotism (especially the informative posts from Shiva) yet I still have absolutely no idea which choice would make for a "better" Scotland. There seem to be many good arguments for both sides.

I wonder how many other people are in my position - Average Joes lacking the requisite information to make an informed decision. I will probably never have an in depth understanding of the politics, budgets, north sea oil and gas revenues, EU membership etc. and so my vote will most likely be based on nothing more than my own life experience. This worries me as votes for this referendum will be driven by emotion rather than logic and that is where spin doctoring and misdirection come into the equation.

I detest the small man syndrome that I hear and see from a lot of my fellow Scots who feel that we have something to prove as a nation... BUT... This is easily counterbalanced by the silly comments from ignorant English people who claim that NI, Wales and Scotland do nothing more than drag England down.

I am proud to be British. Through our little collection of charismatic nations and people we have punched far above our geographical weight for a long, long time. The UK is a great example of a successful union of people for the betterment of all (for the most part) and I think our focus as a nation of proud Scots should be on how we can continue to contribute to that success, and not on trying to prove ourselves to nobody but ourselves.
What. A. Post.

Agree with all of that, great last two paragraphs too.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:01 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I detest the small man syndrome that I hear and see from a lot of my fellow Scots who feel that we have something to prove as a nation...<snip>
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikewot
Bit cheeky to cut out the balance of some English folk being helmets too...
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

if they get independence will they stop sharing their shitty weather with us ? bloody awful out there today
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
You're right. So perhaps you'd prefer I used one of the following instead.

biased, bigoted, discriminatory, partisan, partial, one-sided, jaundiced, intolerant, narrow-minded, unfair, unjust, inequitable, non-objective, unobjective, blinkered, parti pris, coloured, distorted, warped, loaded or weighted
That cuts both ways.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:26 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you're saying (facts -v- spin), because someone has different views does not make them silly and ignorant does it. In fact I would suggest the opposite was true, you're the intolerant one, not I.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 9:27 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kix
Whilst I agree with a lot of what you're saying (facts -v- spin), because someone has different views does not make them silly and ignorant does it. In fact I would suggest the opposite was true, you're the intolerant one, not I.
Kix,

The point from my original post is that the ridiculous over-posturing of some Scottish people is matched by the sheer ignorance of some English people; the surrounding arguments for and against this discussion can be equally unbearable from both "sides".

My suggestion is that any comment insinuating NI, Wales and Scotland do nothing more than drag England down is nothing more than a broad, sweeping, generalisation which is simply untrue and borne out of ignorance.

You don't agree? You think that is a perfectly reasonable and well-founded statement to make?
Old Dec 5th 2013, 9:31 am
Bothered

Originally Posted by Scamp
What. A. Post.

Thanks mate.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 9:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 5th 2013, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Nailed it.... pretty much!

Originally Posted by Scamp
What. A. Post.

I concur!

Originally Posted by Meow
That cuts both ways.
Don't be silly, it's only banter when it's coming the other way....