I am not Scottish and would vote No
44.68%
I am not Scottish and am undecided
2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Scottish Independence - Yes or No?

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence - Yes or No?

Originally Posted by mikewot
I would strongly disagree with that statement. Scots like to take the pish out of the English but I don't believe that:
a) The figure is as high as 90%
b) That it is what you describe as a 'chip'.
c) That there is any genuine animosity from the vast majority of Scots, just some bawbags from the central belt.
Thankfully we are allowed to have differing opinions.

I agree that banter is banter, I love it - it's braw, however, after living in Scotland for several years and discussing such things with my mum who still lives there, I would strongly disagree with you! One of her comments was that the way she has been treated over the past 15 years has changed dramatically in the last five. Since the recession and the talk of 'Independence' in her opinion the attitude towards English folk has declined noticeably and she genuinely doesn't like living there, where as once she loved it.

a) The 90% bit was off the top of my head and as 97.6743% of statistics are made up, meh!
b) There is a mega chip trust me!
c) I've been literally around the whole of Scotland and I genuinely love it, it's where I head for when I go to the UK, however, it doesn't matter where you are there will still be knobs, it's not just the central belt. This is the same in England. In terms of there being genuine animosity, maybe not, but does there need to be....? Does that make casual xenophobia acceptable? Banter is one thing but banter is only banter if it flows both ways, if it doesn't its just verbal abuse.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:30 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

If scotland won independence and had to leave the EU, would that mean that all the English/Welsh/Irish/Poles/Romanians etc. that were living and working there would have to leave as their passports wouldn't allow working in a non-EU country?

Might swing it to the yes voters?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Nah, they'd need to do their jobs then....
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:58 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Thankfully we are allowed to have differing opinions.
You can only have a valid opinion if you're not a plastic sweatie, ya wee sassenach dunderheid!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:17 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Is this an example of one of your Union benefits ?
But how is that the fault of any union? Your image suggests many parts of Scotland are awful, so on the premise it's always best to live in the worst house on a good street than the other way around, better to be aligned to a nicer neighbour than a worse one.

Scottish independence would be very costly for everyone and it would be a far better solution if people tried to work together rather than forever banging on about the differences and making such a big deal about them. Alex Salmond just wants to be a big fish in a smaller pond.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikewot
You can only have a valid opinion if you're not a plastic sweatie, ya wee sassenach dunderheid!

Whats a plastic sweatie???? One that washes???
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
If scotland won independence and had to leave the EU, would that mean that all the English/Welsh/Irish/Poles/Romanians etc. that were living and working there would have to leave as their passports wouldn't allow working in a non-EU country?

yes but just think of all the Scots that would be sent home to Scotland. Actually starting to think Yes might be a good idea
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Scot / No
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:02 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Personally I can't see it ever happening as it'll never get voted in
All the opinion polling that's ever been done on the subject certainly points to a comfortable majority "no" vote.

It's one of those issues where most people have already made up their minds, and no amount of campaigning is going to swing things the other way. Even if all the undecideds switched to "yes", it wouldn't be enough to alter the result. Certainly, there's no precedent for an electoral turnaround of the necessary magnitude in the time available to make it a majority "yes" vote. OK, stranger things have happened, but probably not in this case.

I wonder what the figures fore and against Scottish Independence would be from folk in England would be
It's been mooted that if the rest of the UK was allowed to vote, there is a very real possibility of Scotland voting "no" and the rest of the UK voting "yes" - which would be a tad awkward constitutionally, to say the least...

Last edited by Eeyore; Dec 3rd 2013 at 4:05 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
It's been mooted that if the rest of the UK was allowed to vote, there is a very real possibility of Scotland voting "no" and the rest of the UK voting "yes" - which would be a tad awkward constitutionally, to say the least...
But somewhat amusing...
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
But somewhat amusing...
In that situation, in effect, the 'rest' of the UK would have voted to expel Scotland from the UK, against the wishes of a majority of Scots.......... that HAS to be unconstitutional - a bit like the referendum itself then.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:32 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by The Dean
In that situation, in effect, the 'rest' of the UK would have voted to expel Scotland from the UK, against the wishes of a majority of Scots.......... that HAS to be unconstitutional - a bit like the referendum itself then.
Yes and yes, but this scenario amuses me.

Now perhaps we can call do the sensible thing and organise UK/British law rather than having different laws in Scotland to England and Wales.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:30 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Meow
Yes and yes, but this scenario amuses me.

Now perhaps we can call do the sensible thing and organise UK/British law rather than having different laws in Scotland to England and Wales.
Disagree, we should have England only laws that only English MPs can vote on.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:32 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Kix
Disagree, we should have England only laws that only English MPs can vote on.
Why? The legal system isn't just about new laws in parliament.

I think there should be one legal system across the whole of the UK. The procedures for so many things are different it's just daft for a small island. You have to go about house buying, divorce, arranging wills and so many other things differently that in the long term it would be cheaper to have one system.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:35 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

maybe it's cos I'd love to see England as a standalone Country not tied to the likes of scotland and wales.

At least that way it would be highly unlikely the labour party would ever get to govern again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.