Scotland

Old Jun 24th 2014, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scotland

Originally Posted by Scamp
You lot never let me down. Thank you all so very much.

Not planning on spending more than 3-4 days, the two places that I spent most time looking at yesterday were around Loch Lomond and Ayr / Prestwick.

Thinking we will do one/two night(s) in Cameron house, then down to Prestwick for a couple then on elsewhere (thinking a night somewhere in middle England before back to see all the family and that bollocks).

Thanks again. Happy to hear more ideas!
If you are in the Prestwick area I would also look at Prestwick St Nicholas Golf Club. Always in fabulous condition, its tough, but fairly short.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 5:32 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Don't stay in Prestwick, there are no good hotels. In Troon I recommend The Piersland Not The Marine (very hit & miss on rooms, some are tiny) or The LochGreen (very expensive and the restaurant only does 7 course meals, except breakfast which is great). I also recommend Highgrove which is run by Costley & Costley, same guy runs LochGreen. It has fantastic views if you get a room overlooking the bay, the food is absolutely amazing and draught Peroni :-)
If you stay in Ayr I can recommend without qualification The Western Racecourse hotel, superb especially if you have a room in the main hotel and not the annexes outside. Food is incredible, staff are lovely. Alternatively down at the seafront try Faifield House hotel, can be a bit hit & miss on some rooms but generally OK.
For eating in Ayr try The Beresford (another Costley Costley but his son runs it), really great food. If you like curry The Ruppee Room does the most ENORMOUS portions and naan breads. For just a pub with great food The Treehouse. In Troon for fish there is only one place MacCallums oyster bar at the end of the harbour (book early!) or just fish & chips The Wee Hurrie is attached.

Anything you want to know about Prestwick/Ayr/Troon just ask as I was up there on business for 4 1/2 years, so there is no hotel or eatery I've not been in.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 5:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

there is no reason on earth good enough to go to Dundee, just dont. Its shite.

Loch Lomond however is awesome, Ayrshire is lovely, Ayr itself is also shite but an order of magnitude better than Dundee.

Go to Glasgow and Loch Lomond
Old Jun 24th 2014, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Weather wise the east coast is likely to be drier than the west, and have less midgies!

If you’re there end-July or August then a day in Edinburgh for the festival would be worthwhile. Personally I’d go to Edinburgh over Glasgow every time.

Golf wise it’s hard to go too far wrong really. Either pick a couple of courses you really want to play and base yourselfers around them, or pick a place or two you really want to visit and then golf nearby or en route.

For golf you could try the Trump Links (World’s Greatest Golf Course | Trump Hotel & Golf | Aberdeen, Scotland) outside Aberdeen. It’s a little further north (1.5hrs from Edinburgh), but from what I’ve heard from friends who’ve played it (and as much as I hate Trump) it is very, very, good. You could also play Royal Aberdeen (ROYAL ABERDEEN GOLF CLUB) which is close by. It’s the 6th oldest golf course in the world and is hosting the Scottish Open this year.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 6:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thanks again.

Mikewot - Useful stuff, thanks mate.
Shiva - Dundee only to see the family, if they reply. They're all in Broughtyferry (sp?) which is apparently less shit?
Red Sheep - Thanks; I've looked at a lot of the big name courses and all are 100-250 quid and I think it's a huge waste of money. Well, not a waste but I'd rather play 3 times than once. Dad suggested a few local to Dundee if we go that way but I've found some in Prestwick and around Loch Lomond that look good.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Same chap who owns the Rupee Room owns the The Rupee Room at Dubai marina. Mikewot which years did you work there? We may have crossed paths in a previous life!

Scamp if you are staying at Loch Lomond I think i'd stay at Lodge on the loch, I think the scenery is nicer and they have a lovely log fire.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 6:18 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
Mikewot which years did you work there?
I was an RAF controller there 92-98 and then worked on the new Prestwick Centre project before I came out here 2 1/2 years ago.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Lodge on the Loch
Attached Thumbnails Scotland-lodge2.jpg   Scotland-lodge.jpg  
Old Jun 24th 2014, 7:31 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.

Shiva - Dundee only to see the family, if they reply. They're all in Broughtyferry (sp?) which is apparently less shit?
Red Sheep - Thanks; I've looked at a lot of the big name courses and all are 100-250 quid and I think it's a huge waste of money. Well, not a waste but I'd rather play 3 times than once. Dad suggested a few local to Dundee if we go that way but I've found some in Prestwick and around Loch Lomond that look good.
Scamp - if you are in Ayrshire you can play good courses like Troon Muncipal (Lochgreen) rather than Royal Troon and get more than 3 rounds for your money. Others that I found were good value for money in that general area are Annanhill, Dundonald and West Kilbride.

If you go to Morayshire might be worth googling the Moray Firth Golf Ticket as that gave access to lots of courses and was good value.

enjoy!
Old Jun 24th 2014, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.

I must admit I find 100quid+ for a round of golf somewhat galling as well.

Cheaper option and about 30mins north of Dundee is Montrose (Home - Play Montrose Golf Courses - Quality Links Courses in Scotland), very fine links course, often used an Open qualifier.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

The Commonwealth Games start in a months time, I'd give Glesga a miss.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

what about on the other side... cruden bay, aberdeen etc
Old Jun 25th 2014, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Weather wise the east coast is likely to be drier than the west, and have less midgies!

If you’re there end-July or August then a day in Edinburgh for the festival would be worthwhile. Personally I’d go to Edinburgh over Glasgow every time.

Golf wise it’s hard to go too far wrong really. Either pick a couple of courses you really want to play and base yourselfers around them, or pick a place or two you really want to visit and then golf nearby or en route.

For golf you could try the Trump Links (World’s Greatest Golf Course | Trump Hotel & Golf | Aberdeen, Scotland) outside Aberdeen. It’s a little further north (1.5hrs from Edinburgh), but from what I’ve heard from friends who’ve played it (and as much as I hate Trump) it is very, very, good. You could also play Royal Aberdeen (ROYAL ABERDEEN GOLF CLUB) which is close by. It’s the 6th oldest golf course in the world and is hosting the Scottish Open this year.
wonder if they have got rid of they traveller camp in the car park yet?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 5:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by busybee2
Bit of a slog up to Aberdeen, especially with all the speed cameras North of Perth.
I often go 'home' to Aberdeen and with my wife and I driving we can do the trip from Fareham in 9 hours, including meal break and change overs. But we've done it hundreds of times.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by busybee2
Think I'm now set on the Western coast. Lomond and Prestwick etc etc.

Going to be looking and booking tonight. Probably need to print this thread!

Originally Posted by mikewot
Bit of a slog up to Aberdeen, especially with all the speed cameras North of Perth.
I often go 'home' to Aberdeen and with my wife and I driving we can do the trip from Fareham in 9 hours, including meal break and change overs. But we've done it hundreds of times.
Your home is in Fareham?

Dirty PO postcode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.