British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   scones (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/scones-871601/)

Millhouse Jan 31st 2016 9:45 am

scones

I need to feed some clients at around 4-5pm. I would have already given them lunch and the meetings will run until 9.00pm and I don't want to give them dinner during the meeting.

I'd like to give them something like tea & cake - Anyone know where I can get some decent scones & cream / carrot cake sent to the DIFC?

Thanks!

DXBtoDOH Jan 31st 2016 9:58 am

Re: scones

For short notice delivery what about Costas/Starbucks? They usually have cold stale carrot cakes and Costas has scones, at least the UK ones do. Is there one near your office?

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11854322)
I need to feed some clients at around 4-5pm. I would have already given them lunch and the meetings will run until 9.00pm and I don't want to give them dinner during the meeting.

I'd like to give them something like tea & cake - Anyone know where I can get some decent scones & cream / carrot cake sent to the DIFC?

Thanks!

IKnowNothing Jan 31st 2016 10:00 am

Shakespeares? More Cafe?

Millhouse Jan 31st 2016 10:29 am

Thanks - forgot all about Shakespeares. Will give it a go.

We are hoping these people give us some money - not sure an old costa cake will do it.

DXBtoDOH Jan 31st 2016 11:03 am

But you won't feed them dinner?

In the future when you have some advance notice, Lime Tree does a corking catering menu including their cakes. That's the place to go if you're impressing UK/Euro clients who care about food quality.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11854337)
Thanks - forgot all about Shakespeares. Will give it a go.

We are hoping these people give us some money - not sure an old costa cake will do it.

Millhouse Jan 31st 2016 11:15 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11854346)
But you won't feed them dinner?

In the future when you have some advance notice, Lime Tree does a corking catering menu including their cakes. That's the place to go if you're impressing UK/Euro clients who care about food quality.

I'll get the girls on it! Will look at that.

LPM for dinner after - No dinner during the meeting.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 1st 2016 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11854347)
I'll get the girls on it! Will look at that.

LPM for dinner after - No dinner during the meeting.

Alright charlie big bananas....

Millhouse Feb 1st 2016 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11854907)
Alright charlie big bananas....

Not really. I don't like the place and it's not my money, but it seems to be where we always take them.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 1st 2016 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11854925)
Not really. I don't like the place and it's not my money, but it seems to be where we always take them.

I've never been. It seems to be on the list of shit you 'have' to do to have officially made it in Dubai.

Millhouse Feb 1st 2016 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11854937)
I've never been. It seems to be on the list of shit you 'have' to do to have officially made it in Dubai.

I really wouldn't bother going.

DXBtoDOH Feb 1st 2016 6:03 am

You don't like French food?

LPM is quite good. It reminds me of the "top" French restaurant in provincial cities and market towns in the UK or the better country house hotels. Reminds me of home ;)

Not brilliant food, but very well prepared and tasty. The popularity likely stems from that at that level of quality and price range for French, there's not much competition in Dubai.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 1st 2016 6:48 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11854960)
Not brilliant food, but very well prepared and tasty.

From what I hear of the prices, it would want to be more than just 'not brilliant'.

DXBtoDOH Feb 1st 2016 7:01 am

Depends on what you're used to.

If you're used to good quality food you will find LPM an excellent example of straightforward French food extremely well prepared. It's not fussy nor pretentious. The quality of ingredients are top notch. That itself is a rarity in Dubai where too many restaurants confuse pretentiousness with quality.

Brilliant, for me, has different implications. And you usually (though not always) pay more. A lot more. But despite that I don't find LPM brilliant, I'd rather eat there weekly than at any of the "brilliant' restaurants or eateries I've sampled in the past. Those were special occasions.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11854972)
From what I hear of the prices, it would want to be more than just 'not brilliant'.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 1st 2016 7:22 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11854980)
Depends on what you're used to.

If you're used to good quality food you will find LPM an excellent example of straightforward French food extremely well prepared. It's not fussy nor pretentious. The quality of ingredients are top notch. That itself is a rarity in Dubai where too many restaurants confuse pretentiousness with quality.

Brilliant, for me, has different implications. And you usually (though not always) pay more. A lot more. But despite that I don't find LPM brilliant, I'd rather eat there weekly than at any of the "brilliant' restaurants or eateries I've sampled in the past. Those were special occasions.

Sorry, I see what you were saying.

I don't particularly enjoy overly complicated and delicate stuff. Fantastic food doesn't have to be fancy.

co durham boy Feb 1st 2016 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11854972)

I went last month thought it was pretty good to be honest . It's better than Bagatelle which i went to in The Fairmont.

That was full of blokes wearing moustache wax with no socks and birds with drawn on eyebrows and orange faces , food was average .