British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Schools. WTF? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/schools-wtf-834901/)

Bahtatboy May 26th 2014 6:01 pm

Schools. WTF?

Al-Hijrah Islamic secondary school. Birmingham. Seriously?

Can't paste link from my iPad--check the BBC website. How, in multi-cultural Britain, can we allow a state school (or any other, for that matter) to be established in which, presumably, pupils of other faiths are either not allowed or would be taught according to religious dogma. I appreciate that there are parallels with RC schools, but to my understanding that's a different kettle of pork bellies.

:blink::confused:

Boomhauer May 26th 2014 7:39 pm

Re: Schools. WTF?

I don't buy it that enabling such Islamic preferential treatment is just a case of a few overly tolerant liberals in government and education ; I firmly believe it is something being pushed by the establishment because they are getting bribed by the Saudis.

More recently Saudi has threatened boycot of Dutch business cause of Geert Wilders criticising Islam. There was an article I read a while back that certain European leaders were also pushing for Qatar to get the WC.

All this is behind the scenes bribery and agreements between movers and shakers.

Inselaffen May 27th 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11276562)
Al-Hijrah Islamic secondary school. Birmingham. Seriously?

Can't paste link from my iPad--check the BBC website. How, in multi-cultural Britain, can we allow a state school (or any other, for that matter) to be established in which, presumably, pupils of other faiths are either not allowed or would be taught according to religious dogma. I appreciate that there are parallels with RC schools, but to my understanding that's a different kettle of pork bellies.

:blink::confused:

There should be no faith schools at all. Islamic, RC. C of E etc. Education should be secular and at the same time kick the Bishops out of the House of Lords!

lanarkwitch May 27th 2014 11:36 am

I am surprised this is enabled under EU laws, it surely passes for discrimination of some sort, I neither agree nor disagree, but the UK really needs to start sorting out what it's policies are.

britexpat76 May 27th 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 11277144)
There should be no faith schools at all. Islamic, RC. C of E etc. Education should be secular and at the same time kick the Bishops out of the House of Lords!

Absolutely. You don't teach children that fairies are real or that Peter Pan was a real character so why would you teach them that all religious nonsense is real?

Telling any child that if they do not behave (Or believe) they will die in a fiery hole is child abuse.

Bahtatboy May 27th 2014 5:33 pm

How can the UK condone (and, apparently, encourage) Muslim-only schools almost exclusively populated by Pakistanis when such events as this are prevalent in Pakistan:

A pregnant woman has been stoned to death by her own family in front of a Pakistani high court - for marrying the man she loved.
Nearly 20 members of the woman's family, including her father and brothers, attacked her and her husband with batons and bricks in broad daylight.
Farzana Parveen, who was three months pregnant, was killed before a crowd of onlookers in front of the high court of Lahore, police have reported.

All that's going to happen is we'll end up with a country divided by religion. A school should be a place of learning and discovery, where children are encouraged to question things and form their own opinions. By educating them in a totally Muslim environment they are being denied various freedoms which are the tenets of freedom of speech and thought.

I think if any political party vowed to end religous schools such as these, they would have my vote regardless of their policies on just about any other matter.

Boomhauer May 27th 2014 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11277819)
How can the UK condone (and, apparently, encourage) Muslim-only schools almost exclusively populated by Pakistanis when such events as this are prevalent in Pakistan:

A pregnant woman has been stoned to death by her own family in front of a Pakistani high court - for marrying the man she loved.
Nearly 20 members of the woman's family, including her father and brothers, attacked her and her husband with batons and bricks in broad daylight.
Farzana Parveen, who was three months pregnant, was killed before a crowd of onlookers in front of the high court of Lahore, police have reported.

All that's going to happen is we'll end up with a country divided by religion. A school should be a place of learning and discovery, where children are encouraged to question things and form their own opinions. By educating them in a totally Muslim environment they are being denied various freedoms which are the tenets of freedom of speech and thought.

I think if any political party vowed to end religous schools such as these, they would have my vote regardless of their policies on just about any other matter.

Been reading a bit about Pakistani group dynamics; this sounds like clan or caste related. Maybee IrishBeeKeeper will weigh in.

Sally Redux May 27th 2014 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch (Post 11277309)
I am surprised this is enabled under EU laws, it surely passes for discrimination of some sort, I neither agree nor disagree, but the UK really needs to start sorting out what it's policies are.

Sadly, in my view, 'faith schools' have been encouraged. If you allow some faiths, then you have to allow all.

Boomhauer May 27th 2014 9:01 pm

Disregard my earlier post.
Looks like a case of parents being pissed daughter didn't agree to arranged marriage.

britexpat76 May 27th 2014 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11277819)

I couldn't agree more.