British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Are schools back today? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/schools-back-today-808527/)

kittycat1 Sep 8th 2013 3:54 am

Are schools back today?

No taxis and awful traffic to work this morning I'm guessing children are to blame for this?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 8th 2013 4:30 am

Re: Are schools back today?

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10890913)
No taxis and awful traffic to work this morning I'm guessing children are to blame for this?

Correct.

shiva Sep 8th 2013 4:38 am

technically its the parents as im sure most kids would quite happily not have gone in today ;)

al dente Sep 8th 2013 4:41 am

Or the lack if development in infrastructure.

It's amazing the difference in traffic between August and Sept. Makes you realise that the demographic here us very family heavy. I wonder what the drop in takings is like in supermarkets over the summer- 30%?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 8th 2013 4:54 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10890936)
Or the lack if development in infrastructure.

It's amazing the difference in traffic between August and Sept. Makes you realise that the demographic here us very family heavy. I wonder what the drop in takings is like in supermarkets over the summer- 30%?

With husbands / boyfriends left on their own I can absolutely assure you that delivery / take away has a splendid time over summer.

busybee2 Sep 8th 2013 6:10 am

yes but our sch in auh went back last week..... wasnt too bad on the roads, but you can "tell" they are mostly back this week, some still to go back next week tho.

Irishbeekeeper Sep 8th 2013 7:10 am

they are to blame for everything!! even the ozone layer!!

mine started a week ago

jam25mack Sep 8th 2013 12:52 pm

Indeed, this morning was a nightmare. I had to go from Mirdif to Ras Al Khor via the E311 & E44, then the E311 again up to Sharjah and then back to Ras Al Khor before heading into Oud Metha. Nightmare! Oh and all with no AC.

They should really have more school buses! And don't get me started on the silly cows in 4x4's dropping little Charlie and Angelica off at the school gates.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 8th 2013 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10891261)
They should really have more school buses! And don't get me started on the silly cows in 4x4's dropping little Charlie and Angelica off at the school gates.

Dubai 92 this morning said that a school had put in a new soft play area and asked any Mums to not wear heels on it.

Some were complaining about it...probably the same ones who'd moan if the sponge floor was scuffed with holes in at a later date.

Why the **** can't kids just be shoved out the car whilst moving near the gates?

busybee2 Sep 9th 2013 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10891001)

mine started a week ago

no not the ozone layer, when dubai was having its building bubble, the skys above dubai were very hazy.... when the bubble burst the blue skys came back

jam25mack Sep 9th 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 10892061)
no not the ozone layer, when dubai was having its building bubble, the skys above dubai were very hazy.... when the bubble burst the blue skys came back

The haze is just dust and is more seasonal than anything. After the rains the skys are blue as all the dust is washed out. This steadily builds over the summer and the cycle repeats.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 9th 2013 6:45 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10892128)
the cycle repeats.

Eat. Beat. Sleep. ?

jam25mack Sep 9th 2013 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10892131)
Eat. Beat. Sleep. ?

+ sh1t!

Kix Sep 9th 2013 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10891001)

mine started a week ago

Yep, junior went back to that god-awful gems school last Wednesday - but he walks there.

Inselaffen Sep 9th 2013 7:33 am

the back side of JLT was chaos this morning but think thats more to do with the RTA ******* around with the roads.