British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   School lunches (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/school-lunches-721993/)

Blue Cat Jun 22nd 2011 3:23 pm

School lunches

It was announced today at school that from September lunches will be available at 18 dhs a day. Brought in by some company who is either called lite bites or rite bites something like that, googled both can't find anything. I was elated initially as one thing I hate is making packed lunch, but I currently spend less than 5 dhs on lunch. Whilst 18 dhs is not alot of money compared to some school canteens (Repton) I am not sure if this is good value or not, apparently there is a sandwich, fruit, cereal bar and juice. What do you think?

Patsy Stoned Jun 22nd 2011 4:24 pm

Re: School lunches

I think that sounds quite a high carb/sugar lunch depending on what is in the sandwich . Do you have control over the content of the sandwich? Is it wholegrain? Cereal bars are very high in sugars. Will the juice be 100% pure or a concentrate?
I would cost out a sandwich/cereal bar etc yourself and see. Is this a compulsory thing? It sounds expensive to me and also to make it worth the companies while I don't think they will use top quality stuff. 18dhs a day is 90 dhs a week ..that is 15pounds!! Surely that is expensive for a light lunch for a small child!
Ask the company to send you a sample lunch for you to test it, or ask the school for more info re choice of sandwich/bars/fruit etc.

This is the link to their site but it looks like they have a problem with it..if you click on any of the info it tells you it is "unavailable"

http://www.right-bite.com/

Elmer Fudd Jun 22nd 2011 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9449909)
I think that sounds quite a high carb/sugar lunch depending on what is in the sandwich . Do you have control over the content of the sandwich? Is it wholegrain? Cereal bars are very high in sugars. Will the juice be 100% pure or a concentrate?
I would cost out a sandwich/cereal bar etc yourself and see. Is this a compulsory thing? It sounds expensive to me and also to make it worth the companies while I don't think they will use top quality stuff. 18dhs a day is 90 dhs a week ..that is 15pounds!! Surely that is expensive for a light lunch for a small child!
Ask the company to send you a sample lunch for you to test it, or ask the school for more info re choice of sandwich/bars/fruit etc.

This is the link to their site but it looks like they have a problem with it..if you click on any of the info it tells you it is "unavailable"

This does sound rather expensive for what is on offer, also the high sugar content is not exactly conducive to concentration and learning during the afternoon sessions. Even though packed lunches are a pain, at least you know what you are putting in them. My kiddies' school had a policy of returning un eaten items in the lunch box so you always knew exactly what they had eaten. :)

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2011 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9449909)

thanks Patsy, a friend of mine had seen the lunch in question and said that it was not worth 18 dhs by a long shot, small fruit portions etc, I shall see what the school sends back regarding menu's. It isn't compulsory by any means. I thought it would be convenient to use them but now I am thinking I would rather do it myself than be ripped off.

Bahtatboy Jun 23rd 2011 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9449805)
sandwich, fruit, cereal bar and juice

Salt, sugar, sugar, sugar.

kittycat1 Jun 23rd 2011 5:12 am

My old fave used to be fish fingers, chips and baked beans followed by angel delight. They don't make school dinners like that any more!

Kim67 Jun 23rd 2011 5:45 am

The menu from my kids school in Australian dollars - a decent meal more than 18AED. But we can order online and by credit card up 9am on the morning of the order.

Pasta Bolognaise $3.50

Fried Rice $3.50

Small Side Salad add to any hot meal $2.50

Chicken Bites (3) $2.50
Chicken Bites (3) & a Small Salad Salad includes tomato, cheese, cucumber, lettuce, carrot & onion $5.00
Garlic Bread $1.00
Sausage Roll homemade $3.00
Spinach & Ricotta Roll homemade $3.00
Ham & Egg Basket $2.20
Warm Spicy Beef Taco Wrap $4.00
Camp Champ Chicken Burger homemade patties $4.00

Wraps
Salad Wrap $4.00

All Sorts
1 slice wholemeal bread
1 slice white bread

Ham, Cheese & Tomato Sandwich $3.70
Allstar Honey Sandwich $2.00
Allstar Jam Sandwich $2.00
Allstar Vegemite Sandwich $2.00
Bouncy Bean Sandwich $2.50
Cheeky Cheese Sandwich $2.50
Educating Eddie Sandwich (Egg & Lettuce) $3.00
Salad Sandwich $3.00
Yeti Spaghetti Sandwich $2.50

Gourmet Sandwiches

Chicken, Avocado tasty cheese, sundried tomatoes & Mayo $5.50
Ham, Dijon Mustard, tasty cheese, Tomato & Lettuce $4.40

Bacon strips, lettuce tomato & mayo on a toasted turkish or pannini bread $6.00
Roast Beef, Marinated Capsicums, Feta, Lettuce & Mayo $5.50

Tucker Tubs

Tucker Tub
includes a slice of bread and a fork $3.60

Bits and Bobs

2 Saos (Cheese & Tomato) $1.20
2 Saos (Vegemite & Cheese) $1.20
2 Saos (Vegemite) $0.90
Adam's Apple Slinky $0.90
Boiled Egg $0.80
Fruit Salad freshly prepared $2.50
Pretzels $1.00
Red Rock Chips $1.00
Yoghurt Tub $0.90

Dizzy Drinks

Bottled Water 600ml $1.20
Flavoured Milk $1.50
Mineral Water $1.50
Plain Milk $1.00
Play Water (Small) $2.00
So Juicy $1.50

Ice Blocks

Bulla Lite Ice Cream Cup $1.20
Frozen Fruit Smoothie $1.00
Frozen Juice Cup $0.70
Frozen Milo Cup $1.00
Likstik $0.60
Likstik (Half) $0.30
Mini Frozen Milo Cup $0.40
Yoghurt Stick $0.90

soukie Jun 23rd 2011 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9451064)
thanks Patsy, a friend of mine had seen the lunch in question and said that it was not worth 18 dhs by a long shot, small fruit portions etc, I shall see what the school sends back regarding menu's. It isn't compulsory by any means. I thought it would be convenient to use them but now I am thinking I would rather do it myself than be ripped off.

Best to do it yourself - cheaper and you know what they are eating.

Madam Medusa Jun 23rd 2011 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9451167)
Flavoured Milk $1.50

oh dear, you're going to have jamie oliver waging war on you for that...!

MM, xx

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2011 8:28 am

good menu Kim, but not the flavoured milk lol

the school has rules about juices and such like now so I know the meal will be a healthy one and I am guessing they have introduced it to try and get the parents who do send rubbish in to feed the kids more nutritional stuff

Norm_uk Jun 23rd 2011 8:43 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 9451215)
Best to do it yourself - cheaper and you know what they are eating.

Exactly - my boy has ham sandwiches, cheese, decent wholemeal bread and fruit everyday. I'd hate for him to grow up eating turkey bacon and crappy bread that's probably been left out in the sun for a couple of hours while being delivered.

N.

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2011 8:55 am

I used to send ham into school as well but stopped when one of the kids made a point of telling me she couldn't come to my house because we had ham in it, like I was going to force feed her it :confused:

Madam Medusa Jun 23rd 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9451491)
I used to send ham into school as well but stopped when one of the kids made a point of telling me she couldn't come to my house because we had ham in it, like I was going to force feed her it :confused:

we're not allowed pork ham, which limits snack box items somewhat as i can't bear any of the other forms of ham/sausage...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9451506)
we're not allowed pork ham, which limits snack box items somewhat as i can't bear any of the other forms of ham/sausage...

MM, xx

the Bernard Matthews chicken aint bad, but nothing is as good as real ham

kittycat1 Jun 23rd 2011 9:05 am

mmm ham :D >>dribbles<<

actually kind of ignore that as Im trying not to it animals but still mmm yum!