British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   School 1977 vs School 2007....How true is this ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/school-1977-vs-school-2007-how-true-512496/)

BangleMan Feb 7th 2008 10:16 am

School 1977 vs School 2007....How true is this !

School 1977 vs. School 2007

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up mates.

2007 - Police are called, Armed Response Unit arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on 6 internet sites.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.

1977 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mark, a college student, brings cigarettes to school .

1977 - Mark shares a smoke with the school principal out on the smoking area.

2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug possession. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1977 - Ants die.

2007 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpetrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly with American Carriers ever again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1977 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.

Madam Medusa Feb 7th 2008 10:22 am

Re: School 1977 vs School 2007....How true is this !

very good...and, sadly, completely accurate...

MM, xx

MissDemeanor Feb 7th 2008 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5898523)
very good...and, sadly, completely accurate...

MM, xx

bring back 1977. People were normal then........appart from me of course,but I was only little!

BangleMan Feb 7th 2008 11:00 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 5898613)
bring back 1977. People were normal then........appart from me of course,but I was only little!

I was in the 1st year of secondary school.....bring back Spangles, MoJo's, Jublee's, Getting stung by stinging nettles and using a doc leaf to take the irritation away, Runaround with Mike Reid, SwapShop, Tiswas, Marathon's (not Snickers !), Opal Fruits (not Starburst !), Crackerjack, Mary Mungo & Midge, Mork and Mindy, The Clangers, Catweazle, The Corona Lorry,......Happy Days !

MissDemeanor Feb 7th 2008 11:05 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 5898720)
I was in the 1st year of secondary school.....bring back Spangles, MoJo's, Jublee's, Getting stung by stinging nettles and using a doc leaf to take the irritation away, Runaround with Mike Reid, SwapShop, Tiswas, Marathon's (not Snickers !), Opal Fruits (not Starburst !), Crackerjack, Mary Mungo & Midge, Mork and Mindy, The Clangers, Catweazle, The Corona Lorry,......Happy Days !

You forgot Bagpuss and Charlies Angels!!

Inselaffen Feb 7th 2008 11:16 am

You are forgetting;

2007 - Johnny makes only two spelling mistakes in writing his name on his A'Level paper. he gets an A grade :sneaky:

Chris79 Feb 7th 2008 11:17 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 5898742)
You forgot Bagpuss and Charlies Angels!!

I remember all them, God that makes me feel old (I'm only 28!)
I wish I was 18 again and know what I know now!!!

Inselaffen Feb 7th 2008 11:27 am

you old git!
was in my second year of primary school!

reminds me of standing outside one of my law school exams a couple of years ago. worked out that a couple of my class mates had not started high school by the time I had graduated from Uni. It did make me feel rather old :(

Chris79 Feb 7th 2008 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5898829)
you old git!
was in my second year of primary school!

reminds me of standing outside one of my law school exams a couple of years ago. worked out that a couple of my class mates had not started high school by the time I had graduated from Uni. It did make me feel rather old :(

YOU OLD GIT :p lol. I was still a twinkle in my dads eyes! Was another 2 years till lil' Chris hit the scene.

MacScot Feb 7th 2008 11:44 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 5898499)
School 1977 vs. School 2007

I swear that chocolate-covered "Wagon Wheels" were twice as big in 1977 as they were in 2007.

The Dean Feb 7th 2008 11:46 am

Was Captain Pugwash in the 1970s? Or am I showing my age?

Roger The Cabin Boy, Master Bates....... or am I losing my memory as well?

MissDemeanor Feb 7th 2008 11:50 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5898925)

Not sure. I was too busy planning my future as a dancer in Legs and Co on top of the pops!:rofl:

BangleMan Feb 7th 2008 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 5898942)
Not sure. I was too busy planning my future as a dancer in Legs and Co on top of the pops!:rofl:

Didnt you apply for Pan's People first ?:rofl:

BangleMan Feb 7th 2008 11:53 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5898925)

I've heard he was in the 70's.....how about midweek "Sportsnight" with David Coleman or Harry Carpenter or World of Sport with Dickie Davies,a and the early caveman version of WWF.....Wrestling from Blackpool, with Mick McManus, Big Daddy & Giant Haystacks.....and the videprinter like a bouncing typewriter giving the football results out !

MissDemeanor Feb 7th 2008 11:54 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 5898945)
Didnt you apply for Pan's People first ?:rofl:

No. I did write to Jim'll fix it though!