Scaremongering?

Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:21 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scaremongering?

Originally Posted by redShark
I strongly believe that the only life line that is keeping the integrity of present Europe is wealth, you take that wealth away from Europe and the whole content will go back to its old habit of territorial, ethnic, religious, and what have you wars.
Ha ha ha, another display of your breathtaking naiveity.

Replace 'wealth' with 'oil' and you sum up this region perfectly.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

No, what I am saying is that comments such as those should be scrutinized specially when they are made by an European. Historically speaking Europe has always been the most violent content in terms of the number of inter-fighting wars and the scale of these wars. I strongly believe that the only life line that is keeping the integrity of present Europe is wealth, you take that wealth away from Europe and the whole content will go back to its old habit of territorial, ethnic, religious, and what have you wars. But to be fair I have to exempt the Scandinavians lot from this equation.
This isn't about Europe though.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 5:43 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

No, what I am saying is that comments such as those should be scrutinized specially when they are made by an European. Historically speaking Europe has always been the most violent content in terms of the number of inter-fighting wars and the scale of these wars. I strongly believe that the only life line that is keeping the integrity of present Europe is wealth, you take that wealth away from Europe and the whole content will go back to its old habit of territorial, ethnic, religious, and what have you wars. But to be fair I have to exempt the Scandinavians lot from this equation.
What about the Dutch? they're fairly chilled out.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 5:48 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

This wandered off topic remarkably quickly.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
They're very busy trying to forget they ever held an Empire
Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

the Friesland Liberation Army can be a nasty bunch with their sharpened cheeses!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:31 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

RLD?

Last edited by norsk; Aug 27th 2014 at 6:33 am. Reason: Sorry. I was late....
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

I can see RedShark's point in so far as if the standard of living were a little higher in Palestine/Iraq/Syria and there was as much economic suffering and envy of the west in Pakistan/Afghanistan etc the struggle wouldn't be as great. Who gives a fck about Israeli settlements when we live in our own (albeit Islamic themed) Lakes/Greens etc development in Ramallah/Gaza.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

So what exactly have you got your knickers in a twist about this time? You agree that the definition is accurate with regard to the Middle East, and no one here is denying Europe’s history. The fact Europe has a wealth of meaningful history doesn’t mean we can’t comment on the historical or present situation in the Middle East, indeed perhaps that history makes us better placed to do so.

Are you just demonstrating the usual Middle Eastern small-minded defensiveness, and inability to take criticism of any kind without seeing it as an insult, and throwing your toys out of the pram?

And, really, excluding the Scandinavians? That betrays your lack of knowledge of European history, ever heard of the Vikings? They were a peaceful lot.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

Not even the wealth he talks of, the civilized, modern, integrated, cooperative unions that have been long established. The mechanisms that were set up to lower any chances of future conflicts.

Western Europe has been through all the tit-for-tat religious (etc) wars in the last X centuries. Some still exist but in the 'newer' countries it seems.

This whole region (Middle East) is still archaic in attitudes and still lets religion rule. The factions of those religions will continue to fight like the Protestant/Catholics did in England under different leaders throughout history (and still do if you look at Ireland/N.Ireland) etc.

I don't really know what I'm talking about sometimes but I definitely know that this region is ****ing light years behind Western Europe in it's maturity and ability to be sensible. Even 'Merica is way behind.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flares
I can see RedShark's point in so far as if the standard of living were a little higher in Palestine/Iraq/Syria and there was as much economic suffering and envy of the west in Pakistan/Afghanistan etc the struggle wouldn't be as great. Who gives a fck about Israeli settlements when we live in our own (albeit Islamic themed) Lakes/Greens etc development in Ramallah/Gaza.
But the very reason the standard of living is not higher is because of the tribal squabbling and religious sectarianism in the region, despite all allegedly being Arab Muslim brothers. Let us not forget this region is home to many of the greediest people in the world who could, if they wished, solve many of the regions economic and standard of living issues very quickly. Unfortunately the lure of giant yachts, holiday homes in Kensington and owning football clubs is more important – I forget which chapter of the Quran teaches about those things.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp

Not even the wealth he talks of, the civilized, modern, integrated, cooperative unions that have been long established. The mechanisms that were set up to lower any chances of future conflicts.

Western Europe has been through all the tit-for-tat religious (etc) wars in the last X centuries. Some still exist but in the 'newer' countries it seems.

This whole region (Middle East) is still archaic in attitudes and still lets religion rule. The factions of those religions will continue to fight like the Protestant/Catholics did in England under different leaders throughout history (and still do if you look at Ireland/N.Ireland) etc.

I don't really know what I'm talking about sometimes but I definitely know that this region is ****ing light years behind Western Europe in it's maturity and ability to be sensible. Even 'Merica is way behind.
I think the point here is that it was, in real terms, a very short time ago that Europe was a pretty uncivilised and constantly warring mass of loosely bordered countries (sound familiar?). It’s only relatively recently (the past 2 or 3 generations) that there has been significant and consistent improvement. By that token can we really sit in judgement of the Middle East, or should we just sit back let them get on with f**king each other over for another couple of generations and hope they eventually get tired of it and/or wipe each other out?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if Red Shark is proud of his Muslim brothers in Rotherham?

Rotherham: failures led to sexual abuse of 1,400 children | Society | The Guardian

Last edited by Inselaffen; Aug 27th 2014 at 8:35 am.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

...I strongly believe that the only life line that is keeping the integrity of present Europe is wealth ...
Yeah, maybe you're right, Minnow. Europe is only about wealth. But, once again, your inability to think, appreciate, reflect and consider wider implications leads you to equate wealth to money. The following are some of the examples of Europe’s wealth which are in addition to, and the product of, industrious, collaborative and flexible peoples:

• A secure place to live
• Self-sufficiency in food production and water
• Freedom of religion
• Freedom of speech and thought
• Freedom of sexual orientation
• Rule of law
• Absence of slavery or practices equivalent to slavery
• Democratic institutions
• Universal suffrage
• Universal education
• Equal opportunities, regardless of gender, race or religion
• Absence (or minimal existence) of corruption
• Abundant cultural opportunities accessible to all

And although not everything’s rosy in the garden, there are checks and balances which come into play to try to right the situation.

That is wealth.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Aug 27th 2014 at 9:21 am.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

redShark
This message has been deleted by mikewot. Reason: You've been told, very often, not to go wandering off the subject.

Bloody Hell Mikewot.... if you deleted everybody's posts that wander off the subject, this bored would be quieter than it is now!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.