Scamp Summer Holiday

Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Scamp Summer Holiday

Originally Posted by TheShed
Scampy, me and Mrs Shed have been to Ko Samui about 20 times already as we totally love the place. The two main entertainment venues (as mentioned) are fishermans village and Chaweng. Chaweng is a bit too loud for me so most evenings we tend to be in FV. Good bars, nice restaurants, plenty of life.

One thing you MUST do is take a trip to the Big Buddha Cafe for sundowners or early dinner. It is THE spot on Samui to watch the sunset.

Not sure if you like fishing, but if you do check out Topcats Samui. A closed lake with HUGE catfish and it is an absolute blast for a morning. They also serve the best bacon buttie on the island.
Awesome, thanks for that pal.

Pleased with 'The Happy One' returning?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:01 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Awesome, thanks for that pal.

Pleased with 'The Happy One' returning?
Overjoyed!!!
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

So, here we go with an uninteresting commentary on what I thought:

Bangkok for one night at the start, stayed Sukhumvit area and was cool, Fat Gut'z was a wicked little bar and lively, fun around there. Got the metro from the airport as the hotel was on a BTS stop, piece of piss, cheap as chips and was nicer than a cab.

Singapore - highlight of the holiday for me, unbelievable city. Beautiful, well looked after, respectable, pleasant city. Street food, Clarkey Quay (preferred Boat Quay), the Zoo, the Flier/Flyer, all of it was well run, well organized and really, really nice. Singapore Slings are ****ing lovely too. Raffles is an example of something Dubai will never have. Nice to be able to wander around too. Metro there was wicked too.
Downside- 10 quid a pint. Wow.
Downside 2 - They are VERY anti smoking. Bastards.

Koh Samui - Chaweng. Nice beaches, great views and we were lucky with weather. Beach Road is like being in Magaluf / Malia I expect, cool but tacky. Good laugh.

Koh Phagnan - Wicked, more backwards, more unkempt, more what I expected. Haad Rin was a sleepy little town with a couple of stunning beaches, really chilled out. It was here that I finally found out why I was getting so pissed, Chang beer is 6.4% and can come in mighty size bottles.

Koh Samui - Lamai - Much preferred to Chaweng, still busy and a bit tacky but the night market that shut off the roads was epic, live music, one pound cocktails, street food, shit stuff to buy, was awesome. Waterfalls and shit were worth hiring mopeds for but as you'd expect, run by a bunch of morons and full of ****ing Russians and Chinese.

Bangkok - final two nights, Silom / Sathorn area. Highly recommend the Banyan Tree, amazing hotel. Patpong Night Market was funny but annoying after a while, we weren't that fussed about watching ping pong balls fly out of *****, even if it was offered for 100baht....I've been fleeced before and wasn't having it.
Got a different impression of the place this time, we just chilled after lots of travelling and didn't explore too much. I'd like to say I'd give Bangkok another go but I'm not in a hurry. I definitely get the appeal though.

All in all, Thailand will be visited again. Only this time much cheaper, thanks to Emirates bumping us on our flight out there, we had to wait 4 hours until the next flight, got free dinner, free hotel room for the 4 hours and a free return each to the same zone as Bangkok. This means a cheap 10-day golf holiday in Phuket I reckon!

Thanks again to everyone for the help / suggestions.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:59 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

welcome back Scamp
Old Aug 16th 2013, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't mention the weather, mate?
Old Aug 16th 2013, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mentalist
You didn't mention the weather, mate?
Sunny.

Rained once in Koh Samui
Once in Koh Phagnan (proper heavy shit)
Both last nights in Bangkok but with lightning and Thunder.

So four evenings of some rain, two of which were mental. Not bad i don't think?
Old Aug 16th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Sunny. Rained once in Koh Samui
Once in Koh Phagnan (proper heavy shit)
Both last nights in Bangkok but with lightning and Thunder.
So four evenings of some rain, two of which were mental. Not bad i don't think?
I love the Thai monsoon conditions in the evenings, creates a great ambience and clears the air like nobody's business. So much better than persistent drizzle.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mentalist
I love the Thai monsoon conditions in the evenings, creates a great ambience and clears the air like nobody's business. So much better than persistent drizzle.
I got a free beer for standing in it for 20seconds. I was absolutely soaked but it felt amazing.