Scamp Summer Holiday

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Scamp Summer Holiday

It's that time of year folks.

Suggestions welcome, won't listen to them all or be able to do everything but am currently planning this:

Fly to Bangkok. (Booked).

Couple of nights there, couple of nights in Singapore (cheaper to go there straight away). More nights Phuket area, more nights Koh Samui area, back to Banghelmet for a night before returning to Dubs.

So, I would politely request some suggestions for lodgings and places of interest in all of the above..

Bangkok
Phuket / Phi Phi (assume we will do a few days in each?)
Koh Samui / Phangan(sp)?
Singapore - although you have your work cut out to suggest anything other than the MArina Bay Sands (but I am more than willing to hear experiences).

Thanks in advance you bunch of Scamp Holiday sorter-outers.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:01 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scamp Summer Holiday

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's that time of year folks.

Suggestions welcome, won't listen to them all or be able to do everything but am currently planning this:

Fly to Bangkok. (Booked).

Couple of nights there, couple of nights in Singapore (cheaper to go there straight away). More nights Phuket area, more nights Koh Samui area, back to Banghelmet for a night before returning to Dubs.

So, I would politely request some suggestions for lodgings and places of interest in all of the above..

Bangkok
Phuket / Phi Phi (assume we will do a few days in each?)
Koh Samui / Phangan(sp)?
Singapore - although you have your work cut out to suggest anything other than the MArina Bay Sands (but I am more than willing to hear experiences).

Thanks in advance you bunch of Scamp Holiday sorter-outers.
Bangkok.
Mandarin Oriental, accept no substitutes. stay here and say thanks shiva.
The best hotel in the world hands down.
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/

Phuket
Royal Yacht Club
http://www.theroyalphuketyachtclub.com/
Not so amazing but brilliant location well away from the shite in most of phuket.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:11 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

as the here to go. have you been to thailand before?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Bangkok - Grand Millennium Hotel in Sukhumvit - 200 yards from Soi Cowboy (the bar from Hangover II is called Tilac). 300 yards from Asoke train station. Can use the train line to visit MBK (to get a whole load of cheap knock offs), to visit Nana Plaza, to get to the river - jump on a boat and go up to the palace, see a big Buddha.

Phuket - I've stayed here http://phuket.anantara.com/ - very nice, you have your own pool and outside bath!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:14 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Some recommendations for Singapore:-

Great food:-

Lunch – Tian Tian Chicken Rice in Maxwell Food Centre (just south of CBD on map – not far from Sentosa)

Top end dinner - Iggys (it is amazing - in Top 50 in the world) - http://www.iggys.com.sg/

http://www.ladyironchef.com/2010/11/...nt/#more-10617

Hotel:-

We stayed here, right next to Raffles

http://www.i-escape.com/naumi/overview

And Mandarin Oriental (but it's a a bit big, chain style place)

Chinatown is good, the Quays, Zoo and Bird Parks are good.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Nana Plaza and ask for Peaches and you won't go far wrong.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:19 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
Bangkok - Grand Millennium Hotel in Sukhumvit - 200 yards from Soi Cowboy (the bar from Hangover II is called Tilac). 300 yards from Asoke train station. Can use the train line to visit MBK (to get a whole load of cheap knock offs), to visit Nana Plaza, to get to the river - jump on a boat and go up to the palace, see a big Buddha.

Phuket - I've stayed here http://phuket.anantara.com/ - very nice, you have your own pool and outside bath!
Phuket - I stayed here last year with my boy, it only cost me a tenner (£) a night so I didn't complain...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...ch_Phuket.html

The amount to pay for one night at the Mandarin would have done me and the boy for the entire 16 nights!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Autonomy;10736750]Some recommendations for Singapore:-

Hotel:-

We stayed here, right next to Raffles

http://www.i-escape.com/naumi/overview

I know you're going on holiday and thus will probably eat out each night, however, the Naumi doesn't have red meat on its room service menu, and for some dishes they use processed 'meat' (think chicken roll from Aldi).

Oh and a dressing gown with a brown/orangy stain wasn't the best sight to see.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Kix;10736757]Phuket - I stayed here last year with my boy, it only cost me a tenner (£) a night so I didn't complain...

A tenner, f**k me, you got a good deal, and I thought I got a good deal (staff rate).
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Those who have gone to Thailand and those planning on going, do you mind saying how much it cost you roughly?

Also did you just book flights + hotel online through some place like Expedia or did you utilize a travel agent, and did you use a tour operator?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:27 pm