Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Scamp does not 'Like' this

Scamp does not 'Like' this

Old May 18th 2011, 6:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scamp does not 'Like' this

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
don't think that's correct, it seems it is used worldwide and has different meanings...and was used back as far as ancient egypt...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_(name)

MM, xx

Oh do let me be disparaging. That's so much more fun.
Old May 18th 2011, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad's side of the family ahve some funny Middle names- for example my Dads middle name is Sherrif. His brothers all have funny one as as well.

If I ever had kids I would liked to have named them after my grandad and granny- Basil and Polly. Just as well I havent reproduced then lol.
Old May 18th 2011, 7:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by kittycat1
My dad's side of the family ahve some funny Middle names- for example my Dads middle name is Sherrif. His brothers all have funny one as as well.

If I ever had kids I would liked to have named them after my grandad and granny- Basil and Polly. Just as well I havent reproduced then lol.
MY Dad hates his middle name, Hector.

Found out when he retired overseas that he was baptised by the hospital priest after being born 13 weeks premature. They all didn't think he'd survive and my grandparents hadn't picked a name so they named him after the priest.

Can't believe he went 52 years without knowing and had just never looked at the back of his birth cert where all this was written. Mental.
Old May 18th 2011, 7:53 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad had an unusual middle name - Babut - which was his gran's maiden name. He hated the name and never told anyone he had a middle name. I like it and I like the tradition around it, so would be tempted to use it if I ever have a child.

My first name - Samantha - was chosen as my parents thought it couldnt be shortened. I have spent most of my life being known as Sam and it was only moving to the Middle East which got people using the full version as they thought Sam was a blokes name only.

My family name (which is my husbands family name) is only 4 letters long but in the UK it caused chaos and got so many interpretations, or people just refusing to try to say it...and it really isnt that difficult. Say what you see and you would get it right.

My rather daft friend named her daughter X'van - pronounced seven. Poor child. She has taken a lot of stick.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tillybean
My rather daft friend named her daughter X'van - pronounced seven. Poor child. She has taken a lot of stick.
That's a Nissan, isn't it?
Old May 18th 2011, 8:32 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

That's not a name. It's a high score in Scrabble.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

My dad had an unusual middle name - Babut - which was his gran's maiden name. He hated the name and never told anyone he had a middle name. I like it and I like the tradition around it, so would be tempted to use it if I ever have a child.

My first name - Samantha - was chosen as my parents thought it couldnt be shortened. I have spent most of my life being known as Sam and it was only moving to the Middle East which got people using the full version as they thought Sam was a blokes name only.

My family name (which is my husbands family name) is only 4 letters long but in the UK it caused chaos and got so many interpretations, or people just refusing to try to say it...and it really isnt that difficult. Say what you see and you would get it right.

How is that pronounced 'seven'???

My real name is spelt P-E-T-E-R but it's pronounced Arthur...........
Old May 18th 2011, 12:02 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I am not even convinced that Kai is an actual name.
may it isn't an actual name but we know a guy called Kai, he is German
Old May 18th 2011, 2:59 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by The Dean
How is that pronounced 'seven'???

My real name is spelt P-E-T-E-R but it's pronounced Arthur...........
Then you must be Irish.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:07 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1

Mine too, but my paternal family top the charts in ridiculous middle names. My dad's for example is Augustus...

On the plus side few people forget our names

N.
Old May 20th 2011, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
My elder son's given name has only 3 letters. Its English. He was the only kid at school with the name. He seems to like it. And it can't be abbreviated.
Well, my name is 3 letters and has been abbreviated to just E! Having said that, the only person that doesn't piss me off calling me that happens to be called Ian too!
Old May 20th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
may it isn't an actual name but we know a guy called Kai, he is German
I know a german boy called Kai too but his parents believe that it's welsh..
Old May 20th 2011, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

A family that i know gave all four of their children middle names of London train stations. Paddington, Euston and i can't remember the girls'. Since first names were in the Felicity and Clover and they lived in a huge country pile, i think upper orders' eccentricity came into play.
Old May 20th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by al dente
A family that i know gave all four of their children middle names of London train stations. Paddington, Euston and i can't remember the girls'.
Cockfosters?
Old May 20th 2011, 3:24 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherri
Cockfosters?