Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Saville Case - who's next

The Saville Case - who's next

Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: The Saville Case - who's next

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Why? Do you have any factual basis for that or is it a gut reaction to him personally because he's a bit effeminate? No danger of a witch hunt here then, eh?

As I recall, the previous accusations against Kelly were thoroughly discredited. He had my sympathy because he was a pretty easy target. Any apparently gay/effeminate man in public life has always been particularly vulnerable to random accusations of kiddy fiddling because of deep-seated prejudices.

And the "no smoke without fire" comment that followed yours only emphasises the danger of this becoming a mindless witch hunt and ruining the lives of innocent people.
Maybe he just seemed a bit shady or maybe the smoke/fire comment refers to previous accusations?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:03 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiva
it could of course also be related to the fact he's an utter twat but then again that is of course entirely subjective and based on no provable fact
I agree he is a twat but it is a totally different and far more serious thing to suggest he (or anybody else) is a nonce with no evidence....
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
There are so many from that time what could be implicated (I'm not saying guilty, but aware/known):

Cheggers: 25-1 Highly unlikely
Reid: 20-1 Mike Reid DJ? No - far too dull for anything like that & takes himself too seriously
Kelly: evens (no smoke without fire) No
Tarrent: 16-3 No - a flirt but nothing really dodgy
Corbett: evens (always had his hand up Sue and wasn't shy with Sooty)
Wilmot: 100-1 (outsider)
Jim Davidson: 15-1 (has come forward saying the witch hunt has to stop - sign of guilt) Again a flirt & a bit of a letch but never with underage girls
Edmunds: never trust a man with a beard.

Rantzen has all the answers here in my view. She needs to start grassing.
My comments above, based on a little knowledge of some of them. Someone mentioned Timmy Mallet - 'fraid not. He may be a twat, but is a nice bloke and not a kiddly fiddler.

Whilst misbehaving with underage girls, and boys, is very wrong, I am old enough to remember when many men thought it was just fine to make inappropriate comments and try and touch women. Fortunately I don't suffer fools and dealt with them all (a work tribunal was involved in one case), but not everyone is as tough and there was a time when it was almost the norm to fend off certain men. I am really glad times have changed.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
My comments above, based on a little knowledge of some of them. Someone mentioned Timmy Mallet - 'fraid not. He may be a twat, but is a nice bloke and not a kiddly fiddler.

Whilst misbehaving with underage girls, and boys, is very wrong, I am old enough to remember when many men thought it was just fine to make inappropriate comments and try and touch women. Fortunately I don't suffer fools and dealt with them all (a work tribunal was involved in one case), but not everyone is as tough and there was a time when it was almost the norm to fend off certain men. I am really glad times have changed.
Was it ever really like Mad Men?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:13 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Was it ever really like Mad Men?
I only watched one episode of that, but there certainly was a time when many men thought it was genuinely okay to comment on women, their looks, sex lives, abilities etc in a way that would be quite unacceptable today. It's wasn't about humour, it was totally sexist and demeaning.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:22 am
Account Closed

I only watched one episode of that, but there certainly was a time when many men thought it was genuinely okay to comment on women, their looks, sex lives, abilities etc in a way that would be quite unacceptable today. It's wasn't about humour, it was totally sexist and demeaning.
Hmm. At least things are ever improving I suppose.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:24 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. At least things are ever improving I suppose.
You don't sound convinced.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You don't sound convinced.
If I say "at least things have changed" I will face a barrage of examples of discrimination proving me otherwise.

Also, I don't think things really have changed. Some women will just moan about it, some will get on with it and work hard and get good jobs and earn good money and be senior (like my Mummy), some will never get where they could / should because they don't 'fit' - I assume sometimes this is because they are a woman.

Who knows.

I tried diplomacy and you're right, I'm not convinced.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:44 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

the only thing that has changed is that most men realise it's not done to say or do this stuff as it's no longer politically correct...it's only a superficial change
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
the only thing that has changed is that most men realise it's not done to say or do this stuff as it's no longer politically correct...it's only a superficial change
exactly - we just do it in private. nothing has changed.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:54 am
Bored liberal

Are you saying that you are all still sexist pigs?

I'm happier that I don't hear so much of that sort of 'carry on' style nonsense and that I don't have to fend off wandering hands. Mind you most only ever tried it once...
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:56 am
Bored liberal

If I say "at least things have changed" I will face a barrage of examples of discrimination proving me otherwise.

Also, I don't think things really have changed. Some women will just moan about it, some will get on with it and work hard and get good jobs and earn good money and be senior (like my Mummy), some will never get where they could / should because they don't 'fit' - I assume sometimes this is because they are a woman.

Who knows.

I tried diplomacy and you're right, I'm not convinced.
I think a lot of attitudes have changed and most of a younger generation of men don't think a woman should stay in the home. Many countries also have laws preventing unfairness, which has helped.

Any man who thinks a woman is generally inferior or gagging for it from any old bloke is a dinosaur.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:09 am
Account Closed

most of a younger generation of men don't think a woman should stay in the home.
**** that. Earn money woman, pay for yourself.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.

From a workplace perspective, in all the companies I've worked for (and in relatively tough industries) I've never actually experienced any woman being held back because of her gender. That's either specifically in respect of a particular woman, or generally in respect of all women.

There are three exceptions to that:
First, some thirty years ago in the professional side of the construction industry which operated like an old boys' club.
Second, in Japan where the entire culture didn't permit women to attain managerial positions.
Third, idiots (of both genders).

Apart from those first two exceptions, the banter which goes on is no more than that. And I've had sexual banter with female colleagues of the same hue as that with male colleagues. The idiots pose a problem—the ones who don't know where the boundary lies, but I've encountered those of both genders and they've been despised equally by all.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:23 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of attitudes have changed and most of a younger generation of men don't think a woman should stay in the home. Many countries also have laws preventing unfairness, which has helped.

Any man who thinks a woman is generally inferior or gagging for it from any old bloke is a dinosaur.
Or Arabic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.