Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Saudi preacher gets light sentence for killing daughter

Saudi preacher gets light sentence for killing daughter

Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:16 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi preacher gets light sentence for killing daughter

Originally Posted by redShark
I am equally amazed at his silence on the other thread.
I am expecting a very long post..................
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:33 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I'm interested to hear your view on religion and atheism in war, as mentioned on the other thread.
Atheism simply means to not believe in god or gods.

Religion comes in all forms, it is entirely possible to have religions without supernatural gods...I would declare Communism one such religion - or rather religious ideology.

N.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:34 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
I am equally amazed at his silence on the other thread.
All in good time...Some of us have jobs and a life outside the forums

N.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
So your point is that there are fundamentalist muslims who are terrible people because they follow a twisted interpretation of their faith but we cannot equally judge those of other faiths who follow a similarly reductionist path? Is it, because if it's not then I can't untangle what you are saying at all.
No, my point is that fundamentalist Muslims follow their scriptures literally - living the example of their prophet, who they believe was the most perfect man and example to all humanity. A man who led people to war, had his critics killed (including women), beheaded captives, took war spoils including women of the dead enemies. In the context of his time actually slightly better than his peers...but most certainly not a example for modern living.

By all means judge other faiths - and keep in mind Islam is fundamentally different, it is a way of life proscribing so much more than simply believing in a figure and going to pray. It is political and it is ideological. That's not to say all Muslims follow that - only that the scriptures support it.

And are you really making a general point about Jews based on those you know? What about the mushrooming orthodox sects in Israel? The militant West Bank settlers who are destroying local farms? The rabid anti-Arab racism that you can find on any Israeli forum? Have you not read about the little girls in Israel subjected to taunts of "whore" and even being stoned (yes, stoned) simply for going to school?
Up to half the Jews in Israel are secular and a chunk of them are declared atheists - just found that on google. The Orthodox are a hated minority who are constantly at odds with the government (who often evict them from settlements as much as they let them stay).
You can find rabid anti-Jewish racism in most of the Arab press far worse than anything a few angry Israelis can come up with - have a look on google. The Koran calls them apes and pigs - Arab hate of Jews, like Christian hate of Jews is very old. How many Jews have citizenship in the Arab world, can vote in Democratic elections and have representation in the government and senior military? Please don't turn this into yet another Arab-Israeli thread...the Jews don't have the OPEC billions to fund their PR and get us all caring that they are utterly helpless victims like the Arabs do. All damned liars over one of the least deadly conflicts of the last 60 years.

So yes, there are plenty of stupid evil fundamentalist muslims around but I see no reason why that should characterise all muslims any more than the hatemongers who are Jewish, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist (yes, there are plenty), Shinto or whatever.
Did I say all Muslims are fundamentalists? That would totally unquantifiable and nonsensical. Why do you think I said or believe this?

Quoting the questionable parts of the Koran and Hadiths is no different to questioning the dodgy parts of the bible, torah, Marxism, etc...yet when we criticise the bible we don't have to repeatedly state we are not going after ALL Christians, why is that?

There are many decent, peaceful and even gregarious Muslims in the world - just as there are among Jews, Christians, Atheists and all groups. This doesn't change the fact that the Koran is a very violent book of questionable morality and wisdom, that Islam was spread by the sword for most of it's early history or that fundamentalists want to establish a new caliphate and take over the planet.

N.