Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Saudi citizens in 180,000 court cases abroad

Saudi citizens in 180,000 court cases abroad

Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:06 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saudi citizens in 180,000 court cases abroad

Saudi citizens have been involved in nearly 180,000 legal cases abroad in the past three years, the Foreign Ministry has revealed.

About 12,000 of those cases are ongoing.

“The remaining cases are still being heard in foreign courts. We will do everything we can to solve the problems facing our citizens abroad, so that they can return safely to their homes,” Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al Faisal said during a speech at a Saudi conference on Tuesday, as quoted by Arab News.

That's an impressive tally for a nation with an indigenous population of 21 million.

And as for the bit above in red: do I detect a hint of a rider "regardless of their guilt or innocence"?

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/saudi...ad-531555.html
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:36 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi citizens in 180,000 court cases abroad

I’ve just done the maths on that.
Demographic split (from the web)
Age........Male........Female
0-14 ........2,823,458........2,450,629
25-54........6,927,445........5,148,565
55-64........ 639,051........524,058
over 65........429,951........401,930

5,576,076 of the population are non-Saudi. Assume 95% are male, of which they fall into the above age groups in the following percentages respectively: 2%, 20%, 70%, 6%, 2%.

That leaves the following male Saudi indigenous population:
15-24........1,764,004
25-54........3,219,354
55-64........321,006

Assuming that by far the vast majority of the court appearances are for Saudi males misbehaving in some way, and for arguments sake that they’re all resident in Saudi but visiting abroad (and therefore are captured in the above figures), I’ll further whittle down those figures and say that, for the 3 age groups above, 25%, 40% and 20% respectively travel abroad, producing the following, producing the following.

Saudi males who travel abroad:
15-24........441,001
25-54........1,287,742
55-64........62,243
Total........1,792,986

Court cases: 180,000

Percentage of those who travel abroad and, in 3 years, get into court: 10%

Yeah, ok, you can twist the figures in various ways, and I’ve excluded the women from the calculations, but even so. And the 180,000 is for court cases, not including those transgressions which end up with a fine without going to court.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Dec 19th 2013 at 8:39 am. Reason: Why don't tabs work?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:46 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

You're bored aren't you Bahtat.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:05 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Kix
You're bored aren't you Bahtat.
I like Excel and dislike Saudi.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many of these are parking and traffic offences !
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:22 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by scot47
I wonder how many of these are parking and traffic offences !
Dunno, but how many parking and traffic offences end up in court? According to the article, the stats are for court cases, suggesting something more serious.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:45 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I like Excel and dislike Saudi.
Nobody dislikes the dark ages more than me...........If I had my finger on 'The' button it would of disappeared years ago......
Old Dec 19th 2013, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Nobody dislikes the dark ages more than me...........If I had my finger on 'The' button it would of disappeared years ago......
There are far far worse places than Saudi. I should know, I visit most of them.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Agree,
Nowhere in Saudi is as shit as Alexandria in Egypt. Total shithole, totally shit people, totally shit infrastructure, shit food, shit weather, shit cars, shit air quality,

I use to think yanbu was the worse place in the world and then I went to Jizan which was the worse place in the world until I went to Alex.

The only thing I have learnt from this is that no matter how shit somewhere appears, there is always somewhere even shitter. I have now visited all the shit places in the world I ever want to.

God bless Dubai
Old Dec 20th 2013, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Agree,
Nowhere in Saudi is as shit as Alexandria in Egypt. Total shithole, totally shit people, totally shit infrastructure, shit food, shit weather, shit cars, shit air quality,

I use to think yanbu was the worse place in the world and then I went to Jizan which was the worse place in the world until I went to Alex.

The only thing I have learnt from this is that no matter how shit somewhere appears, there is always somewhere even shitter. I have now visited all the shit places in the world I ever want to.

God bless Dubai
excatly - and even if you use a measure like political freedom or treatment of women, Saudi probably still doesn't rank at the bottom.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
excatly - and even if you use a measure like political freedom or treatment of women, Saudi probably still doesn't rank at the bottom.
Nope. That would be my office.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 5:25 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Agree,

God bless Dubai
Haiti's no picnic either.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Wait aren't they always telling expats to go back home if they don't like the way Locals treat them...