British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Saudi to build mile high building? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/saudi-build-mile-high-building-712742/)

Boomhauer Apr 10th 2011 2:20 am

Saudi to build mile high building?
 
Gizmodo is reporting that Saudi is going to build a mile high tower in Jeddah at a cost of 30 billion dollars.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5790505/saudi-a...mile+high-club

Anyone can confirm this?

The Dean Apr 10th 2011 3:01 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 
Haven't heard that particular piece of Saudi news...........

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article349820.ece

lionheart Apr 10th 2011 4:40 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 
I heard that when I was working in Jeddah over six years ago. Never going to happen.

busybee2 Apr 10th 2011 4:50 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 
yeh heard that years ago, doubt it will happen.

norsk Apr 10th 2011 8:26 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 
If they did ever build this (which is unlikely) they could have a place at the top called the Mile High Club..not saying the concept would work particularly well in Jeddah of course..:rofl:

knickerdropofglory Apr 10th 2011 10:21 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9295983)
If they did ever build this (which is unlikely) they could have a place at the top called the Mile High Club..not saying the concept would work particularly well in Jeddah of course..:rofl:

It would work better in Jeddah than Riyadh

The Dean Apr 10th 2011 12:08 pm

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 
By the way.......... I'm not an architect, nor am I a structural engineer, or whatever - but I don't reckon that building illustrated in the accompanying attachment would actually stay standing for very long......... :(

Boomhauer Apr 10th 2011 11:14 pm

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9296196)
By the way.......... I'm not an architect, nor am I a structural engineer, or whatever - but I don't reckon that building illustrated in the accompanying attachment would actually stay standing for very long......... :(

If god wills it ......:fingerscrossed:

weasel central Apr 11th 2011 6:47 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9296196)
By the way.......... I'm not an architect, nor am I a structural engineer, or whatever - but I don't reckon that building illustrated in the accompanying attachment would actually stay standing for very long......... :(

I am a structural engineer and of course everything is possible when it comes to buildings, just depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

At twice the height of Burj Khalifa it would be a pretty amazing undertaking, but I also heard of this project years ago and realistically I doubt it would ever happen.

As regards the shape, once you get to these kind of buildings the shapes are decided almost purely by wind tunnel testing, this is how the locations of the steps of Burj Khalifa were decided.

Bahtatboy Apr 11th 2011 7:39 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 9297536)
I am a structural engineer and of course everything is possible when it comes to buildings, just depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

At twice the height of Burj Khalifa it would be a pretty amazing undertaking, but I also heard of this project years ago and realistically I doubt it would ever happen.

As regards the shape, once you get to these kind of buildings the shapes are decided almost purely by wind tunnel testing, this is how the locations of the steps of Burj Khalifa were decided.

The pic looks like a slender version of The Gherkin--would that work? Or would you need the helical vanes prevalent on tall, slender chimneys? We need to know.

weasel central Apr 11th 2011 7:59 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9297582)
The pic looks like a slender version of The Gherkin--would that work? Or would you need the helical vanes prevalent on tall, slender chimneys? We need to know.

Well my inquiring friend (opens invoice pad and starts clock) I would imagine when something gets to that height the most efficient way to combat the wind forces is not to try engineer the frame to resist them as per normal design.
I would imagine a dynamic system to resist the forces or in effect balance them, usually some kind of reasonably unrestrained or damped counter ballast or as a layman might say pendulum.
(writes invoice and stops clock)

Bahtatboy Apr 11th 2011 8:18 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 9297600)
Well my inquiring friend (opens invoice pad and starts clock) I would imagine when something gets to that height the most efficient way to combat the wind forces is not to try engineer the frame to resist them as per normal design.
I would imagine a dynamic system to resist the forces or in effect balance them, usually some kind of reasonably unrestrained or damped counter ballast or as a layman might say pendulum.
(writes invoice and stops clock)

So a long, shiny, tapered cylinder with a device inside which oscillates. You 'aving a larf?

weasel central Apr 11th 2011 8:22 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9297621)
So a long, shiny, tapered cylinder with a device inside which oscillates. You 'aving a larf?

Only oscillates due to external stimulus, what are you getting at here? Can you paint me a large diagram, dumb it down a touch, less of the scientific mumbo jumbo...:rolleyes:

Its only appropriate that KSA builds the worlds largest phallic symbol, its to remind the population they are getting ****ed over on a daily basis.

nottmbantam Apr 11th 2011 9:16 am

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 
We also heard the rumours around two years when we were living in Jeddah, and by the time we left, it was all still rumours. Doubt it will happen - are they not better off spending the money sorting out the drainage in Jeddah to prevent another flooding catastrophe?

Boomhauer Apr 11th 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Saudi to build mile high building?
 
From 11th april Daily Mail

The Saudi Royal family today unveiled plans to construct the world's tallest building - which will be an incredible one MILE high.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-building.html


Skyscraper specialists Emaar, which built the Burj, are understood to have won the contract to construct the Kingdom Tower, which will be built outside the Red Sea port city of Jeddah as the centre piece of a new 80,000 population city.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:35 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.