Sat Nat/GPS

Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Sat Nat/GPS

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Flash twat...
Originally Posted by Charl01
Ok we get the picture.....bragging *****
Ha!

Was cheaper for 10 days than a Fiesta is from Heathrow for 4.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect small penis syndrome......

Funny how in every conversation you need to somehow add your wealth
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I like Waze and TBH have no problem using Google Maps either....

Don't see the need for a standalone GPS.

Most cars have them built in now anyway..... well unless you go for the cheapest hire car there is that is.
Maybe it's a personal preference thing , but I find the In-car SatNav rather clunky in their presentation/execution , be it from top of the line Ford and Dodge pickups, Merc Suv or Toyota .

The Garmin I use has Traffic avoidance and lifetime Map updates. My only real complant is the shitty suction holder they provided, which won't stick to the windshield of any car ; falls off after a while.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Apr 27th 2017 at 11:15 am.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Charl01
I suspect small penis syndrome......

Funny how in every conversation you need to somehow add your wealth
I used to feel sorry for you in Jeddah. Now I know why you're there.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:39 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
My only real complaint is the shitty suction holder
Yeah mines not that great either
but she isnt a bad cook though
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Yeah mines not that great either
but she isnt a bad cook though
You did well to find one that was compatable with the maps.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

sorry folks i had to resurrect this thread...i'm off home to London on Friday and have, as per usual, hired a car....but i am loathed to hiring a sat nav...particularly since the frigging car rental companies charge so much.
So my question is if i buy a local sim card with data and put that in my iPhone i assume i will not be able to receive calls on my UAE number? But will i still be able to access whatsapp messages, emails, login to FB etc and by doing that will i be using the data from the local sim card?
Apologies, but i really am clueless when it comes to this sort of thing...ask IRISHBEEKEEPER, how many times i end up ringing him asking him dumba s s IT questions
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:44 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

You will be able to do everything that you do on your phone today except make and recieve calls and SMS that are directed to your UAE number.

Clear enough?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
You will be able to do everything that you do on your phone today except make and recieve calls and SMS that are directed to your UAE number.

Clear enough?
thank you
and just to confirm as long as the local sim card is in the phone, all data usage costs will be to that sim card and not my UAE one?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you go back relatively frequently then buy a basic SatNav from Halfords or Amazon.

Or as you suggest and Shed confirms, a sim card with data would work. I use GiffGaff when I'm back, just top up with one of their Goody Bags and gives me sufficient calls and data. Also means I have a consistent UK mobile number.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
If you go back relatively frequently then buy a basic SatNav from Halfords or Amazon.

Or as you suggest and Shed confirms, a sim card with data would work. I use GiffGaff when I'm back, just top up with one of their Goody Bags and gives me sufficient calls and data. Also means I have a consistent UK mobile number.
Thank you
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
thank you
and just to confirm as long as the local sim card is in the phone, all data usage costs will be to that sim card and not my UAE one?
correct. you could put a divert onto your UAE number, however every call you receive on that number will end up costing you a fortune when you get back here.

Pretty sure that you can download the map in advance so you don't need to connect to data to use it. or just get yourself a myfi device so you can keep your UAE number in it and use maps without consuming your data package.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brains1983
correct. you could put a divert onto your UAE number, however every call you receive on that number will end up costing you a fortune when you get back here.

Pretty sure that you can download the map in advance so you don't need to connect to data to use it. or just get yourself a myfi device so you can keep your UAE number in it and use maps without consuming your data package.
BRAINS i've tried the downloading route and for some reason i couldn't get it to work.
what is a myfi device and i can get that here or would i need to buy it when i get to the UK?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:02 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

But it's also not a bad idea to have an actual map in the car, just in case technology fails. Network problems, phone failure, solar EMP...

Bahtatsprog1 nearly missed an examination yesterday -- both the Airbnb where she stayed and the examination centre were in a small village, with bugger-all mobile signal. Made it just in time.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
BRAINS i've tried the downloading route and for some reason i couldn't get it to work.
what is a myfi device and i can get that here or would i need to buy it when i get to the UK?
it's a small box that you put a data sim card into that then generates a wifi signal that your phone can connect to. you'll get them there, IBK is your man I would have thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.