British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sandpit FP's.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sandpit-fps-855997/)

TGFKASE Apr 8th 2015 6:07 am

Sandpit FP's..

Now, every location based forum will have a natural ebb and flow of posters, especially a place like the Middle East. Its hardly a retirement location, so the expat population is employment driven, to a great degree.

Some area's of the ME have slightly higher turnover (Dubai at the top, I would suggest) and some lower.

As a result, it is no surprise to see some names missing from the forum.

Lets call them FP's - Former Posters...

People move away, as I did, and either move to different parts of BE or find a different forum to utilise.

What IS a surprise is that there are names missing from the forum who I know, for a fact, have not moved away.

Does this indicate that people 'grow out' of this medium?

Does it indicate that they now know everything there is to know and have made a point of turning their backs on the very medium that assisted them, foregoing friendships built up over that time?

There is a 3rd option, but am loathe to write it, for fear that my rabble-rouser sobriquet leads to an unleashing of claims of ad hominem, genetic fallacy posts which are usually 'tu quoqe', si verum dicendum est..!!

Meow Apr 8th 2015 6:53 am

Re: Sandpit FP's..

A mix I think.

Some got fed up with the venom regularly spewed around here. Heavens knows I am not advocating warm and fluffy for this place but some could reign it in a bit from time to time. Even I took a break at a while ago for that reason.

Some have other things going on in their lives and are busy.

We could improve the board if more people made the effort to start threads rather than just post negatively on everything. It isn't exactly friendly-looking to new posters and while I am as guilty as anyone of taking the piss we could pretend to be a little more welcoming.

EDIT. I was even kind enough not to point out the extraneous apostrophe.

Oh...

TGFKASE Apr 8th 2015 7:15 am

Since I am in AbDab now, not Dubai like last time, can i ask a question?

Is Barasti busy?

Its usually a good barometer of the chav-factor in Dubai at any given time...

Cypselos Apr 8th 2015 7:25 am

You're right, this place needs more pompous condescension

Inselaffen Apr 8th 2015 7:28 am

agree its a bit of both. I don't check whats happening on here much since I came back

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 8th 2015 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11613262)
A mix I think.

Some got fed up with the venom regularly spewed around here. Heavens knows I am not advocating warm and fluffy for this place but some could reign it in a bit from time to time. Even I took a break at a while ago for that reason.

We could improve the board if more people made the effort to start threads rather than just post negatively on everything. It isn't exactly friendly-looking to new posters and while I am as guilty as anyone of taking the piss we could pretend to be a little more welcoming.

Oh...

I remember that. It got very nasty on here for a while.

There's less people posting about moving out here I think, even fewer sticking around. I still feel new to it all but also still like to try and help where I can.

It's got a bit dull recently, so even though the thread about Sturgeon is pretty petty, it's at least more interesting than this place has been in a long time.

TGFKASE Apr 8th 2015 7:57 am

Whilst I am sorely tempted to view the post, Cypselos, first impressions are usually spot on...

Therefore, in Room 101 thou shalt remain....

TGFKASE Apr 8th 2015 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11613290)
I remember that. It got very nasty on here for a while.

There's less people posting about moving out here I think, even fewer sticking around. I still feel new to it all but also still like to try and help where I can.

It's got a bit dull recently, so even though the thread about Sturgeon is pretty petty, it's at least more interesting than this place has been in a long time.

I try, Scamp..

I try...

:rofl::rofl:

TGFKASE Apr 8th 2015 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11613262)
A mix I think.

Oh...

I believe I know what you mean...

For a while, I thought it was the usual 'craic' I was receiving...

Then I realised that it really didnt qualify as craic, just a few keyboard warriors who I have finally tired of baiting..

Cypselos Apr 8th 2015 8:06 am

By putting anyone who questions you or points out your bullshit on ignore? Very trying.

littlejimmy Apr 8th 2015 8:08 am

I'll be honest here...that Sturgeon post is the real reason I changed my mind about coming to the ME... ;)

TGFKASE Apr 8th 2015 8:10 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 11613314)
I'll be honest here...that Sturgeon post is the real reason I changed my mind about coming to the ME... ;)

It is a heartbreaker, innit..!!!!

TGFKASE Apr 8th 2015 8:23 am

Slightly OT, but since its my topic, I guess I'm allowed...

Just happened to click on My Profile instead of Discussion Forum...

Thank you all for the karma received for the Sturgeon thread...!!!!

Meow Apr 8th 2015 8:29 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 11613268)
Since I am in AbDab now, not Dubai like last time, can i ask a question?

Is Barasti busy?

Its usually a good barometer of the chav-factor in Dubai at any given time...

Do many of our bored members go there? :ohmy:

TGFKASE Apr 8th 2015 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11613337)
Do many of our bored members go there? :ohmy:

Historically, I would have said a small minority..

But based on my recent experience, I would suggest some are propping the bar up..