salary / Budget

Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: salary / Budget

I found that I started saving more by cutting down on the Thai massages
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:56 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
How much is JGE if you don't mind me asking?

I've been playing at the Faldo after work which is great. Also been playing Jebel Helmet a lot. Meydan is way overpriced so not going back there.
22k a year - 2 courses + Yas Links on week days FOC, range, cart, water, tee's course guides, UGA + discount in pro shop / lessons etc....

Havent played Faldo for years, love the Majlis.... Maydan is well organised with good staff but the fairways needed some serious work when I played there in Sept.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Welivehere
22k a year - 2 courses + Yas Links on week days FOC, range, cart, water, tee's course guides, UGA + discount in pro shop / lessons etc....

Havent played Faldo for years, love the Majlis.... Maydan is well organised with good staff but the fairways needed some serious work when I played there in Sept.
That's not bad. Similar to Creek /Emirates (24k I think).

Faldo front 9 is horrific when you think you've tamed your slice on the driver (thought i had) but actually haven't. Water to the right on every hole.

Back 9 is lovely, 49 on it which is my best ever

Meydan needs some serious tlc.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
Do you mind me asking - are you failing/trying/succeeding to actually save something every month (to send back to UK to pay off debts, etc)? Start with the amount you are absolutely determined to save and send home, then work backwards.......... 'after this and this, I am left with AED 8,000' (or whatever) ........ then allocate it in advance: 'This month I will play golf every week....... next month, I will do something else'... etc..... etc.........
Of course I don't.

The thing for me is I'm not saving money. I still have a touch of debt in the UK which is getting ever closer to being gone....which is why I'm not saving, it seems counter productive to me at the moment.

My target was to reach 25 and have enough money in that year to buy a house in the UK. It's not going to happen bar a miracle and I'm gutted.

I've got a basic rule of save 10% of whatever I get paid. Apart from big bonus months when I save a lot more (read: transfer to UK for debt and maintain a 10,000 slush fund here for bigger buys / flights / insurances etc).

I think I'm just going knee-jerk after blowing an absolute fortune on Xmas at home. Just had to transfer my sister another 200 quid for presents she bought. This month is tight (I'll live) but I need to make sure I'm making the most of money out here.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:29 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I don't.

The thing for me is I'm not saving money. I still have a touch of debt in the UK which is getting ever closer to being gone....which is why I'm not saving, it seems counter productive to me at the moment.

My target was to reach 25 and have enough money in that year to buy a house in the UK. It's not going to happen bar a miracle and I'm gutted.

I've got a basic rule of save 10% of whatever I get paid. Apart from big bonus months when I save a lot more (read: transfer to UK for debt and maintain a 10,000 slush fund here for bigger buys / flights / insurances etc).

I think I'm just going knee-jerk after blowing an absolute fortune on Xmas at home. Just had to transfer my sister another 200 quid for presents she bought. This month is tight (I'll live) but I need to make sure I'm making the most of money out here.

If you find a way let me into the secret, Had the most expensive xmas of my life followed by the wedding in 3 weeks, my brothers in Greece in may and another wedding in August. I did buy the Entertainer this year though and saved 300 chips on a Kobi steak last night.........
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britexpat76
If you find a way let me into the secret, Had the most expensive xmas of my life followed by the wedding in 3 weeks, my brothers in Greece in may and another wedding in August. I did buy the Entertainer this year though and saved 300 chips on a Kobi steak last night.........
Stop buying Kobi steaks.

How much was the bill before and after the voucher?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:20 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Stop buying Kobi steaks.

How much was the bill before and after the voucher?
QR750 before, QR450 after. No messing around with starters etc....And only QR150 in drinks, I didn't buy a bottle of wine for once (well not in there anyhow)

If you can eat that once a week for less that 500 chips, thats a bargain.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:22 am
Just Joined

GB1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also a member at JGE, granted the 22k is payable in one hit, or 24k if you want to pay it over 2 installments but still not to bad.

Can join the Monty and pay monthly but thats a tad more expensive and not great quality.. fairways are shocking at the moment.

Emirates / the Creek are 24k a year, however they still have that horrible joining fee of 10k which you cannot get around!! JGE seems the best on offer at the moment.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:23 am
Account Closed

QR750 before, QR450 after. No messing around with starters etc....And only QR150 in drinks, I didn't buy a bottle of wine for once (well not in there anyhow)

If you can eat that once a week for less that 500 chips, thats a bargain.
Still 75 quid spent vs dinner at home.

This is my new thinking. The Entertainer is good for making you spend spend spend and feel good about it. Sucker!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:27 am
Shark Fisherman

Still 75 quid spent vs dinner at home.

This is my new thinking. The Entertainer is good for making you spend spend spend and feel good about it. Sucker!
But if I went to the supermarket to get the same steaks, by the time I had walked around filling a trolley full of shit I dont need it would still cost me 300+

150 extra and I get to choose whether I use a french, Japanese or English steak knife. I have never been to a restaurant where I choose my steak knife.....................
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:40 am
Account Closed

But if I went to the supermarket to get the same steaks, by the time I had walked around filling a trolley full of shit I dont need it would still cost me 300+

150 extra and I get to choose whether I use a french, Japanese or English steak knife. I have never been to a restaurant where I choose my steak knife.....................
Fair enough. I've stopped agreeing to go to Nezza's on a tuesday for free ladies food. By the time i've got a pie and a beer and she's decided that 60dhs is reasonable for a magners we end up at 300+.

Originally Posted by GB1982
Also a member at JGE, granted the 22k is payable in one hit, or 24k if you want to pay it over 2 installments but still not to bad.

Can join the Monty and pay monthly but thats a tad more expensive and not great quality.. fairways are shocking at the moment.

Emirates / the Creek are 24k a year, however they still have that horrible joining fee of 10k which you cannot get around!! JGE seems the best on offer at the moment.
Was going to ask if some let you pay in fewer installments. JGE is good value and the Fire course is lovely. Monty is only one course as well.

I'm going to save up and join JGE.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you are really struggling, take out the money you want to be saved at the start of the month rather than the end. You can only spend what you have at that point.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:50 am
Just Joined

GB1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, with the Monty membership you get discounted rates at Arabian Ranches plus the other Troon courses.

Splitting the JGE membership its 13k when you sign up and the remaining 11k 6 months down the line. Think it gets pro rata'd down if you join midway through the year.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Scampi, put the golf membership on the back burner. Sort out your budget, build up some savings (three months outgoings minimum) and then save up to join a club.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
If you are really struggling, take out the money you want to be saved at the start of the month rather than the end. You can only spend what you have at that point.
Money to the saver is first out...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.