British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sad accident, but I don't get one thing. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sad-accident-but-i-dont-get-one-thing-873880/)

TheShed Mar 7th 2016 8:02 am

Sad accident, but I don't get one thing.

Canadian boxer among three killed in Dubai Ferrari car crash | The National

I feel for the families involved in this tragedy, but based on the photos, this is clearly very much a two seater so how did 3 die?

I've been in a 458 and there is not way you would get three men in one.

TheShed Mar 7th 2016 8:19 am

Re: Sad accident, but I don't get one thing.

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11888350)
Canadian boxer among three killed in Dubai Ferrari car crash | The National

I feel for the families involved in this tragedy, but based on the photos, this is clearly very much a two seater so how did 3 die?

I've been in a 458 and there is not way you would get three men in one.

Just seen another article on Emirates 24/7. Apparently now its FOUR people - very odd

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 7th 2016 9:00 am

Tragic.

My first thought was on the same lines - how can 3+ be in one 2 seater.

Car has split in half and debris everywhere so must have been travelling at a mighty speed.

OriginalSunshine Mar 7th 2016 10:00 am

One was sitting across the gearstick

Irishbeekeeper Mar 7th 2016 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11888426)
One was sitting across the gearstick

yep, probably one of the reasons the driver lost control
that a combination of other things maybe as well
but whatever the case, what a waste, I feel for the parents :(

al dente Mar 7th 2016 12:50 pm

The saddest bit is the photo of him getting the car, promising not to speed. Hideous crash potentially caused by young person's hubris.

mission Mar 7th 2016 1:23 pm

this happened right outside my apartment....i was in my living room just chilling, and i heard a huge bang...i ran out onto my balcony and the car was already up in flames....i rang the police right away and they said someone had just reported it also.

i initially thought 2 cars were involved but then when i read 7 days it was the 1 car with 3 inside...i didn't even think you could get 3 people in a Ferrari....clearly the driver was speeding down the dual carriage way and lost control

mikewot Mar 7th 2016 2:26 pm

This was on the JLT road between JLT and SZR? Between cluster A and the JLT metro? How did he get up to such a speed that the car was shredded into little pieces?
Another winner of a Darwin award.

Boomhauer Mar 7th 2016 8:44 pm

Just saw this news on the Mail. They say 1 of the women who died suffered shrapnel injuries to her leg in the Boston marathon bombing.

Boston marathon bombing survivor Victoria McGrath is killed in car crash in Dubai | Daily Mail Online

Pulaski Mar 7th 2016 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11888682)
This was on the JLT road between JLT and SZR? Between cluster A and the JLT metro? How did he get up to such a speed that the car was shredded into little pieces? ....

Er, it is was a Ferrari: 0-60 in under 4s, 0-100 probably 8s. Spin it and hit lamppost sideways and you might as well have hit a knife edge.

As it was a convertible/ targa top it would be relatively easy to get three people into assuming the top was removed. Unfortunately whoever had their head through the roof would likely have been decapitated in any significant accident. :scaredhair:

There is actually a video of Doug DeMuro on YouTube, among other things, carrying two passengers in his hardtop Ferrari 360.

mission Mar 8th 2016 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11888682)
This was on the JLT road between JLT and SZR? Between cluster A and the JLT metro? How did he get up to such a speed that the car was shredded into little pieces?Another winner of a Darwin award.

he was on the dual carriageway side heading from Dubai to AD and so there is a long stretch of road that goes over the bridge and passes the metro and cluster A.

mikewot Mar 8th 2016 8:41 am

Now they are saying 2 women plus him.

mission Mar 8th 2016 8:55 am

according to the media reports 4 of them died in the car

OriginalSunshine Mar 8th 2016 9:40 am

2 girls on the laps of 2 boys (feasible conjecture)

Sad

Pongo Mar 9th 2016 3:46 am

Report in The National....speed in excess of 140kph, all had consumed alcohol and 2 of the bodies were more than 150m from the crash location.