British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Rugby World Cup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/rugby-world-cup-735803/)

mentalist Oct 16th 2011 5:49 am

Rugby World Cup

Before the non-sporting types complain about why I have not posted this in the Locker Room, the simple answer is that nobody seems to go there and moreover I wanted to get a reaction from the Middle East expats on here. So here goes...Does anybody agree that the standard of refereeing at the World Cup has been poor. The Welsh captain should not have been red carded in the heat of the moment without the Assistant Referees being first consulted. It completely ruined the game for me. It didn't help that the Frenchman stayed down as if shot until the Welshman was sent off before getting to his feet as if nothing had happened. It also didn't help that the Irish referee's father is French (hence why he speaks to the French players in their native language) and should not have been allowed to officiate the match in the first place. The only consolation is that the Welsh are a very young side and will be peaking by the time of the next World Cup when (hopefully) the northern hemisphere teams will be able to produce much better performances. To date only Wales and Ireland (once) have looked capable of at least giving the All Blacks and co. a decent game.

Millsyisland Oct 16th 2011 6:15 am

Re: Rugby World Cup

I was gutted for the Welsh, which is hard for an Englishman to say! I agree the red card was harsh, granted it was a dangerous tackle but I'm sure there was no malice or intent to injure so a yellow would have been fairer. Plus, as you say, it completely changed the complexion of the game.

However, to be fair to Wales, for them to play as they did a man down, and not concede a load of points shows their character and skill.

If only Jones had gone for the drop-goal with 5 minutes to go instead of continuing through the phases with the forwards and obviously playing for a penalty.

I was really disappointed, I just hope France don't go on to win the Cup (although I don't think they will).

mentalist Oct 16th 2011 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 9677394)
I was really disappointed, I just hope France don't go on to win the Cup (although I don't think they will).

France will get crucified in the final, that's for sure. They are a poor side lacking tactical leadership at the moment. For them to have reached the final is a complete travesty of justice.

Millsyisland Oct 16th 2011 7:28 am

Lievremont's moustache irritates me too. He looks like a 1940's spiv.

spartans53 Oct 16th 2011 8:06 am

The Ref had no option according to the Laws a dangerous tip tackle is a streight RED. Intention is not an issue he had to go. Spoilt the game and he was unlucky but the Laws are the Laws.

Win your won lineout and kick your goals and Wales are in the Final anyway.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 16th 2011 10:19 am

Originally Posted by spartans53 (Post 9677485)
The Ref had no option according to the Laws a dangerous tip tackle is a streight RED. Intention is not an issue he had to go. Spoilt the game and he was unlucky but the Laws are the Laws.

Win your won lineout and kick your goals and Wales are in the Final anyway.

Thank you.

It was a red card, end of story.

The laws were not 100% clear, so in 2009 the IRB released guidance to all referees that when a player is picked, turned and put down or dropped/released and they land on their head / upper body first then punishment should start at a red card.

It's not a nice thing to see an unbelievably talented young captain sent off so early in a game, nor is it nice to see the French win, but it was a dangerous tackle, end of story.

As for the opportunities, I feel for the Welsh because they are a very good team, but those opportunities need to be taken and the scoreboard has to keep ticking in knock-out rugby.

I'm sure that in the next few years Wales will be the team to beat in the Northern Hemisphere. This exit should stick some serious hairs on the chest and hunger in the bellies of those young guys.

Oh and despite his impressive performance yesterday, that No.8 for Wales should be put down, he's a genuinely shit player.

spartans53 Oct 16th 2011 10:20 am

Put down is a bit strong?

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 16th 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by spartans53 (Post 9677592)
Put down is a bit strong?

If he wasn't allowed to eat dinner everytime he dropped the ball / passed to the floor or the sky / cocked up the back of a scrum / knocked it on then he'd be about 7stone when wet.

NorthernLad Oct 16th 2011 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9677590)

It was a red card, end of story.

I disagree...he was not drilled into the ground, there was no malice intended. There has been no consistency. Similar tackles in previous games (in this tournament) have seen yellow cards.
The referee spoiled what should have been a great game with the wrong decision.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 16th 2011 10:48 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9677607)
I disagree...he was not drilled into the ground, there was no malice intended. There has been no consistency. Similar tackles in previous games (in this tournament) have seen yellow cards.
The referee spoiled what should have been a great game with the wrong decision.

(Cut from the BBC blog of Tom Fordyce - I know the BBC aren't great in most peoples eyes on here but this is all cut from the IRB law book)

"Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play."

On 8 June 2009, the IRB's Paddy O'Brien sent out a memorandum to his referees with the subject line 'Dangerous Tackles'.

"In 2007, the IRB Council approved a ruling," it read, "which essentially made it clear that tackles involving a player being lifted off the ground and tipped horizontally and were then either forced or dropped to the ground are illegal and constitute dangerous play.

"At a subsequent IRB high performance seminar referees were advised that for these types of tackles they were to start at red card as a sanction and work backwards. Unfortunately these types of tackles are still being made and the purpose of this memorandum is to emphasise that they must be dealt with severely by referees."

Warburton was correctly sent off, he picked, tipped and dropped V-C. I hate seeing players sent off because it changes the game massively but it was the correct decision.

NorthernLad Oct 16th 2011 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9677619)
(Cut from the BBC blog of Tom Fordyce - I know the BBC aren't great in most peoples eyes on here but this is all cut from the IRB law book)

"Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play."

On 8 June 2009, the IRB's Paddy O'Brien sent out a memorandum to his referees with the subject line 'Dangerous Tackles'.

"In 2007, the IRB Council approved a ruling," it read, "which essentially made it clear that tackles involving a player being lifted off the ground and tipped horizontally and were then either forced or dropped to the ground are illegal and constitute dangerous play.

"At a subsequent IRB high performance seminar referees were advised that for these types of tackles they were to start at red card as a sanction and work backwards. Unfortunately these types of tackles are still being made and the purpose of this memorandum is to emphasise that they must be dealt with severely by referees."

Warburton was correctly sent off, he picked, tipped and dropped V-C. I hate seeing players sent off because it changes the game massively but it was the correct decision.

"At a subsequent IRB high performance seminar referees were advised that for these types of tackles they were to start at red card as a sanction and work backwards."

I've seen worse tackles in this RWC get yellow cards, in Warburtons case the referee gave a knee-jerk reaction.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 16th 2011 11:30 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9677653)
"At a subsequent IRB high performance seminar referees were advised that for these types of tackles they were to start at red card as a sanction and work backwards."

I've seen worse tackles in this RWC get yellow cards, in Warburtons case the referee gave a knee-jerk reaction.

There's been one or two other big tackles, but I can't think of one where a guy has been picked up high, turned so clearly and then just released to land on his head/neck.

Warburton has received a 3wk ban halved from the normal 6wk because of his good disciplinary record, instant apology and remorse. Line drawn I think and a fair way of doing so.

mentalist Oct 16th 2011 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9677661)
There's been one or two other big tackles, but I can't think of one where a guy has been picked up high, turned so clearly and then just released to land on his head/neck.

There have been two previous tackles of this nature in the tournament, one involving Tonga. Both received yellow cards only.

Millsyisland Oct 16th 2011 4:21 pm

There was one today too, on Quade Cooper I think - not as obvious but he was definitely lifted and deposited on his shoulder area.

And there probably was malice intended on this occasion.....

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 17th 2011 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 9677960)
There was one today too, on Quade Cooper I think - not as obvious but he was definitely lifted and deposited on his shoulder area.

And there probably was malice intended on this occasion.....

No, QC was lifted driven backwards and hit the deck on his back.

Warburton lifted V-C, turned him while in the air and then dropped. V-C landed on his neck/top of the back.