British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   RUGBY rules, and you know it, but where to watch it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/rugby-rules-you-know-but-where-watch-514344/)

Quickyj Feb 14th 2008 3:46 pm

RUGBY rules, and you know it, but where to watch it?

Well, the move date is around the corner now, (25th) and cleverly ive managed to move the weekend there is no Six Nations on. Well planned move this one. Where do people go to watch the games, is it easy to find somewhere to watch?? :thumbup:

Inselaffen Feb 14th 2008 4:01 pm

Re: RUGBY rules, and you know it, but where to watch it?

Originally Posted by Quickyj (Post 5932500)
Well, the move date is around the corner now, (25th) and cleverly ive managed to move the weekend there is no Six Nations on. Well planned move this one. Where do people go to watch the games, is it easy to find somewhere to watch?? :thumbup:

depends where you will be living.
Al manzil Hotel has a great bar for rugby

Quickyj Feb 14th 2008 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5932575)

JBR, cant remember the name of the tower, thats a great start isn't it?

Inselaffen Feb 14th 2008 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Quickyj (Post 5932658)
JBR, cant remember the name of the tower, thats a great start isn't it?

if you are JBR then Al Manzil may be a bit far. Try Barasti Bar.

The Dean Feb 16th 2008 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Quickyj (Post 5932500)

I still think you have to go down to the 'inner city' to get the best sports bars.

Sorry - it's an old-fashioned choice but for sheer blanket coverage of EVERYthing, you still can't beat Good Fellas in the Regal Plaza Hotel (Bur Dubai, near computer mall, up road from Ramada, diag opp York Hotel). Smoking allowed there though - so EVERYBODY who wants to do so goes there.

If you are prepared to cross the water (and remember to set your watch back 25 years as you do so), then one or two of the hotels near the airport are still pretty good.

Madam Medusa Feb 16th 2008 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5932575)

yep, that's mr medusa's sports bar du jour too...

MM, xx

Quickyj Feb 18th 2008 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5940411)
yep, that's mr medusa's sports bar du jour too...

MM, xx

Thank you Madame, and you too Monsieur. As always, good advice. Although one thing is starting to worry me, im moving on the 25th, job appartment all in place, and now my company are starting to give me signs that the ywould like me to start a month or two down the line, which means no money, spending of savings (which isnt as yet a goldmine)...so may need work for a month, two or maybe more... You cant see me, but i have a concerned face on.

jeanmr Feb 22nd 2008 4:41 pm

Looking for place to watch the rugby tomorrow in or near Moraira - any ideas?

Madam Medusa Feb 22nd 2008 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jeanmr (Post 5969549)

you sure you're in the right forum...this is middle east, lol...

MM, xx

arbroath_abroad Feb 22nd 2008 4:58 pm

is that near the Marina........

Eva Feb 22nd 2008 5:01 pm

Oh I have lived there next to El Portet?

SPAIN YA DIVVY

Sorry, bad day at the office...........ME= Middle East not Mediterraenean.
Calm now.

The Dean Feb 22nd 2008 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Quickyj (Post 5949604)
Thank you Madame, and you too Monsieur. As always, good advice. Although one thing is starting to worry me, im moving on the 25th, job appartment all in place, and now my company are starting to give me signs that the ywould like me to start a month or two down the line, which means no money, spending of savings (which isnt as yet a goldmine)...so may need work for a month, two or maybe more... You cant see me, but i have a concerned face on.

How caring is your employer?

In your situation I reckon they owe you (morally, I mean) a starting salary from say 1 March.

Demand it.

jeanmr Feb 22nd 2008 5:49 pm

i got here by mistake - but i have just returned from Qatar visiing my son. Like you,he had quite a few initial problems, but two years down the line he is very happy. There is a lot of beaurocracy, maybe if you are not directly employed by a Qatari company or the government, your employer has not yet got all your visas sorted? If so, would think it is down to them - read your contract carefully!

ScotsExpat Feb 23rd 2008 1:12 pm

Normally I head for Barasti for the 6 Nations, but since I'm in AD, can anyone suggest a good place to watch the Scotland v Ireland game tonight? I am at the Sheraton Corniche.....

shakh your bootie Feb 23rd 2008 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 5973448)
Normally I head for Barasti for the 6 Nations, but since I'm in AD, can anyone suggest a good place to watch the Scotland v Ireland game tonight? I am at the Sheraton Corniche.....

The Tavern at the Sheraton will probably show it. Also Heroes, PJ's and the sports bar(NRG??? I think...) at Le Meridien, Tourist Club Area....

Enjoy being pounded by the paddies....:p